[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

@saithraphim Please make your log files and ModuleManager.ConfigCache file available for download. Preferably output_log.txt instead of ksp.log. Use something Dropbox or other service. (ModuleManager.ConfigCache can be found in GameData folder)

Edit: (the log needs to cover the time period between you starting the game, loading your craft in the VAB and finally putting it on the launch pad. Once it is fully loaded and the problem has manifested then exit the game. That should generate enough to the log file)

Edit #2: Sorry one more thing: persistent.sfs file from the save folder. And the craft file; two more things.

Edited by Starwaster

22 hours ago, Starwaster said:

When presenting craft files for problem demonstration and reproduction you should always use only what is required to demonstrate the problem. That mod and the its vent part in the craft file don't look necessary and it forces me to have to download something else that's not part of Realism Overhaul. Please re-upload the craft without it

Edit: Ok never mind. I got it to load without the vent parts by changing them to something else. You're not using the right engines for that rocket. The parts are the right parts but you have to reconfigure them by clicking the Engine button in the PAW (says Show GUI to the right) or by using the Action Group editor and selecting the engines. There are several configuration buttons representing different versions of that engine.

Read this page. It seems reasonably accurate and will tell you what engines you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_II_GLV

Don't change the parts, just change the configuration.  LR87-AJ-7 for the first stage and LR91-AJ-7 for the 2nd. You'll go from a SL TWR of 1.01 to 1.26

Thanks. TWR is now okay, but i am about 400m/s of delta-v short for orbit. I use everything okay, and read the page, but i can’t find anything.

23 minutes ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

Thanks. TWR is now okay, but i am about 400m/s of delta-v short for orbit. I use everything okay, and read the page, but i can’t find anything.

Are you flying manually or using something like MechJeb? If the latter, what does your pitch program look like? (assuming PVG for ascent not classical)

The pitch program I used started at 50 m/s at 0.5 degrees per second until guidance took over.

Edit: (one thing I noticed btw was that you didn't seem to have any forward thrust on your capsule service module; you should look into that)

Edited by Starwaster

5 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Are you flying manually or using something like MechJeb? If the latter, what does your pitch program look like? (assuming PVG for ascent not classical)

The pitch program I used started at 50 m/s at 0.5 degrees per second until guidance took over.

Edit: (one thing I noticed btw was that you didn't seem to have any forward thrust on your capsule service module; you should look into that)

Usually, i start pitch at 100m/s and pitch for 80 degrees, then follow prograde until apogee near space. There, i pitch to 20-0 degrees and until SECO i try to hold apogee at about 176km. I end with perigee about -260km. I would use mechjeb, but the RSS ascent profile is too big to fit on my monitor (macbook air) and i can’t drag it so i see the top. I’m currently thinking about writing on mechjeb forum thread if there’s any.

51 minutes ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

Usually, i start pitch at 100m/s and pitch for 80 degrees, then follow prograde until apogee near space. There, i pitch to 20-0 degrees and until SECO i try to hold apogee at about 176km. I end with perigee about -260km. I would use mechjeb, but the RSS ascent profile is too big to fit on my monitor (macbook air) and i can’t drag it so i see the top. I’m currently thinking about writing on mechjeb forum thread if there’s any.

You can change MJ UI size. There's two basic UI sizes and you can also rescale it arbitrarily.

But yes, your ascent profile sounds like it needs adjusting. You should be able to get that into orbit

Edited by Starwaster

On 7/1/2019 at 9:45 PM, Starwaster said:

@saithraphim Please make your log files and ModuleManager.ConfigCache file available for download. Preferably output_log.txt instead of ksp.log. Use something Dropbox or other service. (ModuleManager.ConfigCache can be found in GameData folder)

Edit: (the log needs to cover the time period between you starting the game, loading your craft in the VAB and finally putting it on the launch pad. Once it is fully loaded and the problem has manifested then exit the game. That should generate enough to the log file)

Edit #2: Sorry one more thing: persistent.sfs file from the save folder. And the craft file; two more things.

Sorry for the delay, the files are here. For the log, i removed the one there then started the game added the parts, went to launch then closed the game after saving.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1pbyq895t801xo8/AAAPRXwsvFmWHeM2R_PGHgD1a?dl=0

Game: 1.6.1

RO: 1.6.1

SSTU: Latest 1.6.1

I'm not sure if i mentioned this, but this issue only occurs when running everything on 1.6.1

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, saithraphim said:

Sorry for the delay, the files are here. For the log, i removed the one there then started the game added the parts, went to launch then closed the game after saving.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1pbyq895t801xo8/AAAPRXwsvFmWHeM2R_PGHgD1a?dl=0

Game: 1.6.1

RO: 1.6.1

SSTU: Latest 1.6.1

I'm not sure if i mentioned this, but this issue only occurs when running everything on 1.6.1

Thanks!

Hmmmmm I bet that's the SSTUVolumeContainer on there.... it's what people have been saying; SSTU doesn't work with RO right now. It CAN be made to work but things like that have to be stripped out of there. It's basically like Real Fuels in that it's a resource management system and when you have more than one of those on a single part they get in each other's way. Still, it didn't used to be that bad.

I've got SSTU working with KSP 1.7 but I think I stripped the SSTU resource modules out in my personal set of patches.. Pretty sure I did. SSTUModelSwitch plays nicely but it doesn't mess with resources and it notifies Real Fuels/ MFT when it changes volume.

4 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Hmmmmm I bet that's the SSTUVolumeContainer on there.... it's what people have been saying; SSTU doesn't work with RO right now. It CAN be made to work but things like that have to be stripped out of there. It's basically like Real Fuels in that it's a resource management system and when you have more than one of those on a single part they get in each other's way. Still, it didn't used to be that bad.

I've got SSTU working with KSP 1.7 but I think I stripped the SSTU resource modules out in my personal set of patches.. Pretty sure I did. SSTUModelSwitch plays nicely but it doesn't mess with resources and it notifies Real Fuels/ MFT when it changes volume.

That's very impressive if you could get it to work with 1.7 running RO! i'm currently trying to strip out the Orion parts because with ROEngines and ROCapsules we have pretty much most of what we need. I couldnt find another set of Orion parts that looked as good. "Space Launch System Basic Version" is very nice but the RCS's are broken on the Service Module. I'm sure this will be a fun project.

2 minutes ago, saithraphim said:

That's very impressive if you could get it to work with 1.7 running RO! i'm currently trying to strip out the Orion parts because with ROEngines and ROCapsules we have pretty much most of what we need. I couldnt find another set of Orion parts that looked as good. "Space Launch System Basic Version" is very nice but the RCS's are broken on the Service Module. I'm sure this will be a fun project.

Ah no, I didn't say RO in 1.7 ;)

Just 1.7 with Kopernicus and Sigma rescale x10 - but yeah some of the important RO components are there like Real Fuels and that's where it looks like the major conflicts are.

Try patching it with !MODULE[SSTUVolumeContainer]{} - strip that out and it should work.

13 hours ago, Starwaster said:

You can change MJ UI size. There's two basic UI sizes and you can also rescale it arbitrarily.

But yes, your ascent profile sounds like it needs adjusting. You should be able to get that into orbit

Gemini 3 is in orbit!

edit: yes, it’s in orbit, but mechjeb is unable to make it circular. I entered 176km on both pe and ap and i ended with 175 and 181.

Edited by KnedlikMCPE

8 minutes ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

yes, it’s in orbit, but mechjeb is unable to make it circular. I entered 176km on both pe and ap and i ended with 175 and 181.

I consider that good enough for most purposes in RO.  (Hitting a precise orbit is harder in RO than in stock, since in RO most engines don't throttle down to zero the way they do in stock).  If you really want a circular 176 km orbit you should be able to fine tune that easily enough using RCS.

4 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

I consider that good enough for most purposes in RO.  (Hitting a precise orbit is harder in RO than in stock, since in RO most engines don't throttle down to zero the way they do in stock).  If you really want a circular 176 km orbit you should be able to fine tune that easily enough using RCS.

Thanks for help everyone. Now i need to do something with that i got up to 11g on reentry when deorbiting using retro

7 minutes ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

Thanks for help everyone. Now i need to do something with that i got up to 11g on reentry when deorbiting using retro

That's about right for a ballistic reentry. You should probably try to do a lifting reentry if you're doing manned stuff.

4 minutes ago, Flibble said:

That's about right for a ballistic reentry. You should probably try to do a lifting reentry if you're doing manned stuff.

I got descent mode enabled, but no lifting entry.

1. How can i enable it?

2. After surviving uncircular orbit, retro and 11g reentry i splashed down... almost. https://imgur.com/CBYedI4

3 hours ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

I got descent mode enabled, but no lifting entry.

1. How can i enable it?

2. After surviving uncircular orbit, retro and 11g reentry i splashed down... almost. https://imgur.com/CBYedI4

If you're getting 11g it's probably because you're coming in too steeply. A lifting reentry only helps so much with that. (IRL a lifting reentry is mostly for targeted landings. By controlling roll and pitch they can narrow the landing zone. Research Curiosity to see how much that helped)

And what about my second point?

and also my procedural wings aren’t working - i don’t get any lift from my X-1 when using stock config wings and can’t change characteristics of pw

Edited by KnedlikMCPE

7 hours ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

And what about my second point?

and also my procedural wings aren’t working - i don’t get any lift from my X-1 when using stock config wings and can’t change characteristics of pw

Ah they died? G forces? Need a shallower reentry. And with regards to descent mode make sure your roll is 0 not 180 like you might in an Apollo. The CoM shifts up towards the pilots heads. Again not sure how much that will help as 11g's sounds like you came in way too steep.

With regards to procedural wings I have no idea. I don't use them at all.

10 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Ah they died? G forces? Need a shallower reentry. And with regards to descent mode make sure your roll is 0 not 180 like you might in an Apollo. The CoM shifts up towards the pilots heads. Again not sure how much that will help as 11g's sounds like you came in way too steep.

With regards to procedural wings I have no idea. I don't use them at all.

1. My second point was about that buyonacy thing shown in the pic.

2. What wings do you use? I used normal delta wings and they produced no lift...

17 hours ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

also my procedural wings aren’t working

Which procedural wings mod are you using?  According to CKAN, for RO you should be using B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings - Fork.  There are a few different for of proc wings, and last time I installed RO/RP-1 it took me a few attempts and some reading of the relevant mod forum threads to find a version that worked with RO/RP-1/FAR and KSP 1.3.1.  That was probably 6 months or more ago.  I might even have ended up using a .dll that someone posted to one of the mod forum threads.

To specify my main problems a bit more:

1. Mechjeb kills throttle for coasting. How can i get him not to kill throttle? I got keep limited throttle over 100%

2. My capsule just levitates about 2m above the water after splashdown.

12 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

There’s an option in the ascent pvg menu to omit coast. The floating above the water is a graphical glitch probably. I don’t think you can do anything about it

Thanks.

The floating does weird physics while splashing down too. I have a bit of thinking it’s FAR or SSTU.

1 hour ago, Peter JY said:

Can I download it for Kerbal Space program 1.7.0 by CKAN?

原句:我能在1.7.0的CKAN里下载RO吗?

THe most recent release is meant for KSP 1.6.1.  The current version probably wont work properly with 1.7.x.