Sign in to follow this  
Voyageur

How to appreciate satellites again...

Recommended Posts

Step 1: put a satellite in Kerb-o-synchronous (geostationary/geosynchronous) equatorial orbit.

Step 2: once in desired orbit, push 'V' until in "chase camera".

Step 3: play your favorite space themed ambience music.

Step 4: push F2.

Step 5: profit.

 

Working on putting a little video together to share here shortly. It's times like these that remind me how much I appreciate this game and its developers. 400+ hours deep and it's the little things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just paste the link and it should appear in the post automagically.

Edited by Veeltch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final proof that Kerbol revolves around Kerbin!

Kerbin is the center of the universe, I knew it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Final proof that Kerbol revolves around Kerbin!

Kerbin is the center of the universe, I knew it!

Duh, that dumb Kerbernicus and his dumb theories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you also may enjoy, is having a kerbal stand on a body tidally locked to another body, and just watch the body from the ground while in time warp.

These bodies would be Mun (to Kerbin), Duna (To Ike), Ike (to Duna), Tylo/Val/Laythe (to Jool) - similar effect since the camera will just stay pointing at the body, and you can watch it change phases.

Only Ike has some eccentricity and inclination of the tidally locked bodies, so that observation is a little cooler, since you see libration of duna from ike, or of ike from duna.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Only Ike has some eccentricity and inclination of the tidally locked bodies, so that observation is a little cooler, since you see libration of duna from ike, or of ike from duna.

This is one of my favorite things in the game :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

What you also may enjoy, is having a kerbal stand on a body tidally locked to another body, and just watch the body from the ground while in time warp.

These bodies would be Mun (to Kerbin), Duna (To Ike), Ike (to Duna), Tylo/Val/Laythe (to Jool) - similar effect since the camera will just stay pointing at the body, and you can watch it change phases.

Only Ike has some eccentricity and inclination of the tidally locked bodies, so that observation is a little cooler, since you see libration of duna from ike, or of ike from duna.

I'll be sure to try that out, AKA I'll probably do that tonight and make a video of it so I can watch over and over and share with the rest of the community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, the wiki has a gif of ike from Duna. Since they are tidally locked to each other, you should see something similar for Duna. It should be prettier with scatterer and EVE of course, but not as pretty as the blue-green marble that is Kerbin

Ikes_libration.gif

Edited by KerikBalm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

well, the wiki has a give of ike from Duna. Since they are tidally locked to each other, you should see something similar for Duna. It should be prettier with scatterer and EVE of course, but not as pretty as the blue-green marble that is Kerbin

Ikes_libration.gif

I agree. As awesome as that is, not much compares to Kerbin with clouds at sunset/sunrise. I do like Dunatian sunrises/sunsets though from space, I think the burnt red has a really appealing look to it. I just might set up a geostationary satellite in Duna orbit purely for aesthetic purposes.

 

Edit: Only with SVE/EVE clouds though. No visual addons with Duna leaves alot to be desired if you ask me.

Edited by Voyageur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this