RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

3 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

I missed most of it, since I was doing english homework at the same time.

25 minutes ago, Nightside said:

What are your thoughts on the rocket's motivations for going to space?

Compare and contrast this launch and the previous, 1000 words, write an essay considering the symbolism of the back vs the white of the rocket’s flank, 1000 words, and analyze the webcast according to Explication de Texte, 3000 words...

aaaaaaand now I’m having an anxiety attack. So, SO glad I’m not in school anymore... :confused:

1 hour ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

So THIS is what they meant by having plans beyond Electron! Pretty good news! Looks like they're going all out with the subatomic particle naming scheme, too!

That teeny, tiny little Curie engine tho... :D I wonder if that would even be enough for RCS on the other guys’ rocket...

2 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

So THIS is what they meant by having plans beyond Electron! Pretty good news! Looks like they're going all out with the subatomic particle naming scheme, too!

Neat.

I'm slightly puzzled tho, why have the smaller space thing be named after the vastly bigger subatomic particle? ( wait they didn't see edit)

Also, if they do continue with that, it might get "strange" quickly, if you get my drift.....

EDIT: WAIT IM DUMB I MISREAD THAT AS PROTON. ignore me.

Edited by qzgy

4 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Neat.

I'm slightly puzzled tho, why have the smaller space thing be named after the vastly bigger subatomic particle?

Also, if they do continue with that, it might get "strange" quickly, if you get my drift.....

Ah, yes, the classic Rocket Lab

• Electron
  • Photon
  • Muon
  • Gluon
  • Higgs Boson
  • Charm Quark
  • Z Boson
  • [insert rest of Standard Model in no particular order here]

(In all seriousness, I don't know if they really have many more ideas for products.)

1 minute ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

• Electron
  • Photon
  • Muon
  • Gluon
  • Higgs Boson
  • Charm Quark
  • Z Boson

(In all seriousness, I don't know if they really have many more ideas for products.)

I mean they might make a slightly larger launcher, or some modification of electron in the future if there's a need. But yeah,standard model, run through the list. Must be some good names there...

On 4/8/2019 at 6:58 PM, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

• Electron
  • Photon
  • Muon
  • Gluon
  • Higgs Boson
  • Charm Quark
  • Z Boson

I hope they save Gluon for their adhesive SRBs.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:48 PM, qzgy said:

Neat.

I'm slightly puzzled tho, why have the smaller space thing be named after the vastly bigger subatomic particle? ( wait they didn't see edit)

EDIT: WAIT IM DUMB I MISREAD THAT AS PROTON. ignore me.

to be fair, the lower energy photons can be several meters long

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Dang it... I was all excited for a moment there thinking these guys and SpaceX were launching almost within an hour of each other...

Aren't they?
SpX window is like 2:00 ET

6 hours ago, cubinator said:

Aren't they?
SpX window is like 2:00 ET

This was last night, before the last guy leaving OCISLY tripped over the extension cord... -_-

6 hours ago, tater said:

Assuming Electron goes at the opening of their window, they are 48 minutes apart.

Given the length of Electron’s window, there’s a nonzero chance they could both launch at exactly the same time. :D

10 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Given the length of Electron’s window, there’s a nonzero chance they could both launch at exactly the same time. :D

"HOLD HOLD HOLD."

"Please state the reason for the hold."

"I would like to request a delay of seventeen minutes and fifty three seconds to synchronize our launch with CRS-17."

• 1 month later...