[1.0+] CORE Solutions [19JAN16]

Absolution

Would it be possible to get an updated version of the Anvil rockets with TechTree integration? The Anvil rockets are still very beautiful.

I had completely forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder! I've got some spare time this weekend. Give me a day or two to work something out. I already have a plan in place so all I need to do is add some extra lines of code and we should be good to go.

Standby. :)

"a couple of days"... "12 hours" whatever.

Anvil Update 1.7.2 is now live:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/anvil-rockets/

See change log below and, as always, I suggest deleting the old content before installing the new revision (just to be safe). Due to the size and power of my rockets compared to the stock options I decided to put Anvil at the very tail end of rocket research. However, I don't have any serious experience with the career or the tech tree in general so that might not be the right place for my rockets. If anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it.

Change Log:

---1.7.1---

(18JAN14)

-Anvil V (including 2m fairings) added to tech tree under "Heavier Rocketry"

-Anvil IV (including 4m fairings) added to tech tree under "Very Heavy Rocketry"

-SRBs added to tech tree under "Heavy Rocketry"

Have fun. Be safe. :)

Edited by Absolution

• 3 weeks later...
Any idea may mechjeb support is, well, non-existent? I would really love to be able to just shoot one of these to orbit while I do something else, but mechjeb doesn't at all approve. :D

I don't use Mechjeb myself but there shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't work. What are the problems you are observing?

Woooo, this has been updated! Great. While your mods might not be the most popular, we are some who really enjoy them.

EDIT: I just now took a look on the heavy Anvil, and noticed how beautiful it is. It's actually almost Frizzank and Bobcat quality.

Edited by wasmic

Alright, I discovered a problem between this mod and FAR: The CSB's have a very low center of mass, which makes them flip out almost instantly with FAR. A fix for this problem, that wouldn't bork up the pack when used with the stock aerodynamics, would be to use the [CoMOffset = x, y, z] line in the config files. [y] would simmply have to be set to something positive, which would lift the CoM. Note that capitalisation matters in this case. I'll go experimenting :)

EDIT: Some part of the problem might also lie in the fairing base, but that's due to how FAR works.

EDIT2: Forget this post, there is no problem at all. Just my imagination. Please move on, nothing to see here.

Edited by wasmic

Alright, turns out there IS a problem with this mod after all: the fairing bases should have the word "fairing" added to the title, like the fairings themselves. And changing the CoM of the CSBs wouldn't hurt, either. So actually, I was wrong twice :P

Alright, turns out there IS a problem with this mod after all: the fairing bases should have the word "fairing" added to the title, like the fairings themselves. And changing the CoM of the CSBs wouldn't hurt, either. So actually, I was wrong twice :P

The reason why the CSBs have such a goofy CoM is because Anvil did not fly straight with a more realistic CoM. Has that changed? I won't compromise the functionality of Anvil in a vanilla environment to make it work better with other mods.

I can look into adding fairing to the DCMs.

• 4 weeks later...

While rover although nice, looks out of its place in space, the best thing its Cage.

Its very usefull thing, great for for delivering rovers to surface. No more crappy skycranes made from few truss pieces glued together.

While rover although nice, looks out of its place in space, the best thing its Cage.

Its very usefull thing, great for for delivering rovers to surface. No more crappy skycranes made from few truss pieces glued together.

Glad you found my addon useful! :)

---

Has it really been a month since my last update? I been slacking!

What has been going on is... nothing. I have a bad habit of burning out on projects and moving on to others to keep myself motivated. The problem recently has been that I've gone through that cycle too much and I now have half a dozen projects laying around in various states of completion. It's untenable. In an effort to actually complete some of these I've regrouped and made myself a list of priority projects to work on. I will only be working on 2 at a time from here on out.

First Light has been my white whale for far, far, too long so it is one of the two projects I am dedicating myself too for the near future.

My goals for the First Light is to get a simple, functional, addon out as soon as I can and not worry about it being "perfect". I just need to put out something that will give me that sense of accomplishment. Not that I will intentionally release garbage but I'm talking about releasing something with basic textures and will be feature light.

I'm pretty close to that now, actually. I am only missing the engines and a means of constructing the thing in orbit. More on that as it develops.

Here's hoping I can finally bring this one home. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you so much. Anvil is my go to system for getting big things to LKO. It also looks like a promising ultra heavyweight lander core (provided the terrain is flat enough):

qq9x.jpg

So far, I've done a Mun landing and return with the final stage returning to Kerbin (I bottled out in re-entry and detached the capsule so it could land using its own parachutes). The multitude of parachutes give away its final use, as a Duna landing and return mission. My intention is to use the docking port on top of the capsule for a LKO rendezvous with a large nuclear engine (Jumbo-64, FTnM 280) to get it there and back. Unfortunately, pushing this beast reduces the delta-V of my standard design to a mere 3Km/s:

10z8s2h.jpg

So I'm not sure whether to go through the heartache of trying to get a cluster into orbit in one go or to put a fuelling station in orbit around Duna prior to the mission in case of any fuel wasting mistakes.

Edit: It turns out that with very conservative aerobraking around Duna, the lander has enough delta-V to get into orbit and return to Kerbin (but only just, I re-entered with enough fuel remaining for 128m/s of correction)

Edited by DH1900

• 1 month later...

How the heck do I keep losing entire months at a time? At least this time I have some teaser information to throw out there. I have set aside the First Light project and moved on to the "other" project that I've hinted at a while ago. This was a planned switch in priorities because I've learned a lot about advanced modeling techniques and this "other" project is meant to allow me an opportunity to practice them in full scale. Once I nail this new stuff down I will switch back to the First Light and implement what I've learned.

I certainly wont be turning any heads since there are far better modders than I running around here but compared to what I've produced before I hope to illicit at least a few "wows".

Over the last month I've gone through at least a dozen iterations of one part trying to get things right. Just today I feel like this one part is 95% complete. I've put it into KSP and tested it and it looks and works great. I just need to tweak some stuff and it will be good to go. The bad news is that this is just one part of about a dozen. The good news is that now that I've gotten confident with this design direction I can start cranking out parts quickly. None of them are terribly complicated.

Hopefully I'll have something to show off soon. Stay tuned!

@Absolution: I perfectly know what you mean with such an ineffective project management, I pretty much do the same way :confused: Keep up the good work !

I totally in love with your Dune Raider, the best of its kind ever made, the wheels are just great (not too much torque, wide arms, made them perfect).

It's work great as-is in 0.23 (I just expect some issues at the first place, gladly surprised there was none).

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, did you remove two SRBs? I can only find two currently, and I'm sure that there once was four. I kinda liked them, can we have them back please?

Oh, and currently, the rockets are balanced a bit weirdly, mostly with the Isp and such. I'll probably take a stab at a re-do of the cfg's that makes the rockets have actually scaling Isp and other stuff, while maintaining the current payload capabilities. I'll also make sure that they work with both stock and FAR, if possible.

Having a problem with the rover... while on the Mun, it flipped and now it appears to be caught in a "bounce loop" - when it lands, the wheel slightly goes into the ground, causing it to bounce way up in the air. Over and over again.

Hmm, did you remove two SRBs? I can only find two currently, and I'm sure that there once was four. I kinda liked them, can we have them back please?

Oh, and currently, the rockets are balanced a bit weirdly, mostly with the Isp and such. I'll probably take a stab at a re-do of the cfg's that makes the rockets have actually scaling Isp and other stuff, while maintaining the current payload capabilities. I'll also make sure that they work with both stock and FAR, if possible.

SRB-050A-1 and SRB-065A-1 were both removed. After redoing the math on the rockets they became redundant. What is wrong with the rocket balance specifically?

Can you have them back? Maybe. ;)

As for the rover bouncing... Did you download the latest version? I know that was a problem a while ago but I think I mostly solved it with the last update.

SRB-050A-1 and SRB-065A-1 were both removed. After redoing the math on the rockets they became redundant. What is wrong with the rocket balance specifically?

Can you have them back? Maybe. ;)

As for the rover bouncing... Did you download the latest version? I know that was a problem a while ago but I think I mostly solved it with the last update.

They might just be redundant, but they look really cool. The things that I thought were slightly unrealistic are the very low Isp of the first stage, the Isp not changing with atmospheric pressure, and possibly thte upper stage being too heavy compared to the first stage (although I have to do a bit more research on that one).

The SRBs might be redundant, but they can always be usedd on other rockets, and they look badass.

Yes, I first downloaded it yesterday.

They might just be redundant, but they look really cool. The things that I thought were slightly unrealistic are the very low Isp of the first stage, the Isp not changing with atmospheric pressure, and possibly thte upper stage being too heavy compared to the first stage (although I have to do a bit more research on that one).

The SRBs might be redundant, but they can always be usedd on other rockets, and they look badass.

I used the Saturn V mass fractions to base mine on.

Saturn V:

Payload = 4%

Stage 3 = 4%

Stage 2 = 16%

Stage 1 = 76%

Anvil IV:

Payload = 9.3%

Stage 2 = 12.3%

Stage 1 = 78.4%

Not perfect but in the ballpark.

@M3Man03

I'm not sure what to tell you. I am stumped. Physics interactions are a fickle beast in KSP and I am not very skilled at working with them. That rover was my first attempt at such a craft. I fear the rover is lost.

Having a problem with the rover... while on the Mun, it flipped and now it appears to be caught in a "bounce loop" - when it lands, the wheel slightly goes into the ground, causing it to bounce way up in the air. Over and over again.

I have the same issue too, tested on Mun and Kerbin (especially near the former KSC).

@M3Man03

I'm not sure what to tell you. I am stumped. Physics interactions are a fickle beast in KSP and I am not very skilled at working with them. That rover was my first attempt at such a craft. I fear the rover is lost.

What a success for a 1st attempt ! Too bad if it'll be lost, your wheels are very great (IMHO better than man others because of their wide suspension arms with low vertical travelling and good torque settings).

It looks like to be a collider issue of some sort, maybe someone who have some good experience with wheels could help.

I used the Saturn V mass fractions to base mine on.

Saturn V:

Payload = 4%

Stage 3 = 4%

Stage 2 = 16%

Stage 1 = 76%

Anvil IV:

Payload = 9.3%

Stage 2 = 12.3%

Stage 1 = 78.4%

Not perfect but in the ballpark.

@M3Man03

Then that's why. Rockets in KSP usually have payload fractions of around 15 to 18 percent, so your rockets need to have a lot of fuel and quite low Isp to reach a comparably low payload fraction.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.