nascarlaser1

What to add to a mun dominiation?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi guys!

In my sandbox modded game, I have begun to have a permanent presence on the mun. I'm playing 50% roleplay, and also using the other 50% to look for the easter eggs (the non cheaty way :P). What kinds of things should I put on/around the mun? This is more of a suggestions thread then actual questions, but I didn't know where else to put this kind of thing. After I get some of the things set up I'll start making a mission report on the forums with pictures!

 

currently in orbit around the Mun:

Comsat for Kerbin-mun relays

Comsat for Mun-Minimus relays

Exploration rover with 2 kerbals

Scansat probe in orbit around Mun

Stock mining probe in orbit around Mun

Tiny little landed communications station to help relay communications from the exploration rover to the satellite and vice versa (communications unnecessary, but fun for roleplay purposes). My satellite was so high it kept going out of range of the rover :P.

 

Thanks! any suggestions welcome (may not use all if they go past my current skill ability!

 

Mods are also welcome. If you need a list of already used mods I'll supply em!

 

Thanks!!

Edited by nascarlaser1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does KerbNet count as cheaty or non-cheaty?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bewing said:

Does KerbNet count as cheaty or non-cheaty?

 

non cheaty. Only thing I consider cheaty is looking up the coordinates, like I did for the Kerbin north pole crashes UFO I wanted to find. I got so annoyed at it I used the wiki to find :P. I'm not using any of that to look for the mun stuff. Anything stock is non cheaty since I still have to find it after I locate it (if that makes sense)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then it's a good idea to have a RoveMate on a satellite in a rather low polar orbit. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bewing said:

Then it's a good idea to have a RoveMate on a satellite in a rather low polar orbit. :)

 

why rovemate? does a different probe works? I thought rovemate only worked on the rovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RoveMate is the only probe with 100% anomaly detection rate. Polar orbit because it will eventually cover the whole surface, though the narrow FOV means it will take a while. 

I'd not really recommend using a rover to visit all the sites on the Mun, unless you just love driving and have lots of time to spend on it. Some kind of hopper craft is my preference - something with lots of dV and fairly low thrust that can hop about the surface. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Foxster said:

RoveMate is the only probe with 100% anomaly detection rate. Polar orbit because it will eventually cover the whole surface, though the narrow FOV means it will take a while. 

I'd not really recommend using a rover to visit all the sites on the Mun, unless you just love driving and have lots of time to spend on it. Some kind of hopper craft is my preference - something with lots of dV and fairly low thrust that can hop about the surface. 

oh ok thxs! I plan on using both a hopper and rover, but so far most of my hoppers are either over powered, or underpowered :P. What would be some good fuel tanks/engines to use on a hopper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Umm, how about something like this...

Jyces6L.png?1

I'd probably throw another tank of Xenon on to nearly double the range and still have a good TWR

...Was messing about with a slightly improved model and look where I landed by accident...

g761RE5.png?1

Edited by Foxster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooohh!!!... now I know I"ve been over thinking it....

 

I've been strapping a external command seat to a Rockomax X200-8 Fuel Tank and using a poodle engine.... that looks much more easier!

 

Thank you thank you!!.

now I just feel silly:blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 new things added to orbit around the mun:

Scansat probe in orbit around Mun

Stock mining probe in orbit around Mun

 

Hey @Red Iron Crown, since this is more of a suggestions thread then an actual question, can you help me move it somewhere more appropriate? (where that is exactly I'm not sure :()

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put a big orbital shipyard around my Mun. It has lots of different dock-able parts for building interplanetary craft as well as short-range tugs. That should keep you occupied for a while. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Moved over to KSP Discussion for you. 

Thxs!

 

3 minutes ago, SelectHalfling0 said:

I put a big orbital shipyard around my Mun. It has lots of different dock-able parts for building interplanetary craft as well as short-range tugs. That should keep you occupied for a while. :)

Thxs! I plan on using EPL and the orbital space dock thingy for that purpose. (my intercept skills don't exist, so any extra modules will be built via the space station, along with the other ships/ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're looking to truly DOMINATE the Mun (or any celestial body),  I would recommend getting some sort of Colonization mod so that you can start all your missions from there. I'm in the middle of getting a Mun/Minmus/LKO system set up so that I don't have any launches from KSC. Stations, ground bases, space docks, tugs, mining equipment, comm nets... the list goes on and on. And thats all just support infrastructure for my motherships to get to other planets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LordKael said:

If you're looking to truly DOMINATE the Mun (or any celestial body),  I would recommend getting some sort of Colonization mod so that you can start all your missions from there. I'm in the middle of getting a Mun/Minmus/LKO system set up so that I don't have any launches from KSC. Stations, ground bases, space docks, tugs, mining equipment, comm nets... the list goes on and on. And thats all just support infrastructure for my motherships to get to other planets.

I am right now going to put an EPL Launchpad at my small mining base (I'm using hyperedit for this one part only... its annoying to fly :() and then from there launching rovers and such for my Mun base. I don't like colony mods that require lots of work like MKS, but I have USI LS (need to fix it though) PBS and Deepfreeze which is enough "colony" for me. Combine these with Hanger and EPL and I can build a functional useful base :).

Edited by nascarlaser1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

I am right now going to put an EPL Launchpad at my small mining base (I'm using hyperedit for this one part only... its annoying to fly :() and then from there launching rovers and such for my Mun base. I don't like colony mods that require lots of work like MKS, but I have USI LS (need to fix it though) PBS and Deepfreeze which is enough "colony" for me. Combine these with Hanger and EPL and I can build a functional useful base :).

Try doing it wild west style:

Get yourself the absolute basics in orbit, ride that horse down to the surface and then bootstrap your way to success!

KSP_Minmus_factory_cowboy.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, suicidejunkie said:

Try doing it wild west style:

Get yourself the absolute basics in orbit, ride that horse down to the surface and then bootstrap your way to success!

KSP_Minmus_factory_cowboy.png

I'm already doing something similar. Since the Launchpad is hard to land on the mun (I am bad at landing an mk1 command pod :P) I'm hyper editing enough stuff to small things, like a rover, some LS supplies, etc., then going to (after extensive practice) land more Kerbals, etc. nearby and start up a colony connected by either KIS/KAS or one of the mods that let craft share a resource pool like from @RealGecko (since this is my first base of any kind, I am not sure how  many KIS/KAS struts my PC can take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to land the Launchpad on the mun... but realized I cant attach anything to it, not even docking ports :(:(:(. How do I attach stuff to the launch pad to the rest of my mining rig I'm launching?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2017 at 0:47 PM, nascarlaser1 said:

I'm already doing something similar. Since the Launchpad is hard to land on the mun (I am bad at landing an mk1 command pod :P) I'm hyper editing enough stuff to small things, like a rover, some LS supplies, etc., then going to (after extensive practice) land more Kerbals, etc. nearby and start up a colony connected by either KIS/KAS or one of the mods that let craft share a resource pool like from @RealGecko (since this is my first base of any kind, I am not sure how  many KIS/KAS struts my PC can take.

What I'm suggesting is that you build the launchpad on the moon, not land it.  Start with a bare minimum seed factory lander, and it won't be much different from a basic lander pod.

The Colony Stallion pictured there was built by an orbital station (while in transit, since they had plenty of time waiting) with the rockomax sized large parts tank.  You'll want to make your seed with struts for a much wider stance so it doesn't tip over, and add extra fuel reserve so you can hover down slower.

Upon landing, it has a drill, smelter, part production, part storage, part deployment, and minimal power.  It then builds a gigantor panel, more drills, more tanks, more power again, then after a while, a full workshop, greenhouses and ISRU, landing pads, shuttles, rovers and more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suicidejunkie said:

What I'm suggesting is that you build the launchpad on the moon, not land it.  Start with a bare minimum seed factory lander, and it won't be much different from a basic lander pod.

The Colony Stallion pictured there was built by an orbital station (while in transit, since they had plenty of time waiting) with the rockomax sized large parts tank.  You'll want to make your seed with struts for a much wider stance so it doesn't tip over, and add extra fuel reserve so you can hover down slower.

Upon landing, it has a drill, smelter, part production, part storage, part deployment, and minimal power.  It then builds a gigantor panel, more drills, more tanks, more power again, then after a while, a full workshop, greenhouses and ISRU, landing pads, shuttles, rovers and more.

oh.. I'm just using hyperedit its easier, quicker and seems more fun :P. I got the Launchpad on the mun with a mining rig nearby, but I cant attach docking ports are KIS ports to it anywhere :(:(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If landing a rocket is sufficiently negative fun to overcome the sense of accomplishment, then that's a better path.

Keep it in mind to try again when you get your next piloting star :)

 

Did you just build a launch pad with no other parts?  Your design to teleport to the mun should have some struts and probably some fuel tanks and an RTG and a probe core on it somewhere to make it functional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

If landing a rocket is sufficiently negative fun to overcome the sense of accomplishment, then that's a better path.

Keep it in mind to try again when you get your next piloting star :)

 

Did you just build a launch pad with no other parts?  Your design to teleport to the mun should have some struts and probably some fuel tanks and an RTG and a probe core on it somewhere to make it functional.

It not that I don't like landing the rocket, just the Launchpad is confusing on how to land it while its extended. For the actual base, I first launched a simple mining rig with just ore tanks, then a second building with the regular stock fuel tanks and ISRU. Next came the stuff needed to make metal for EPL, and then finally came the Launchpad. I will connect the three buildings together with KIS and KAS, but it wont let me attach anything to my Launchpad, and I couldn't attach anything to it in the VAB ;.;;.;;.;;.;.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now