fotovoltaic panel disappear

Hi,

While I'm trying to reach moho I save the game several times, I don't know exactly when, but some of the extensible fotovoltaic panels mounted on the probes disappear during the mission,
the base of the panel only remain attacched, the panels do not burns, they just disappear. Can you please help me?

the ship I used: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8nrg9i3sdab85a/moho survey sat relay and landers.craft?dl=0

Edited by antipro

I've found the guilty, is the protective shell on release. It destroys the panels without warning.
I've already set it up the release force to the minimum,
so the only solution, without edit the ship, is to release the shell after the probes.
maybe someone have a better idea?

uhm,... I'm trying to substitute that panels with the other ones protected, the SP-L.
tried: noway, they come destroyed too.

Edited by antipro

31 minutes ago, klesh said:

Are you setting your fairings to clamshell deploy?

no, what is used for?

10 minutes ago, bewing said:

The panels are inside the shell when you release the shell?

no they are outside, the panels are those you see on the 4 top probes near the shell.

I did the mission by deploying the shell after the probes...

1 hour ago, antipro said:

no, what is used for?

Regular fairings:

vGQE31i.jpg

Clamshell deploy:

tumblr_inline_npmcldopr01rr2wit_500.png

I'm not understanding the problem then, if your panels are not within the fairings.

Okay, I downloaded the craft file, but my ksp install is heavily modded so I am sure the area in question doesn't look exactly the same.  However, the problem is now very clear.

The fairing is destroying all the panels when you deploy it, for sure.  The smaller probes all surround the fairing, they need to be out of the way when it deploys or all the fairing pieces, clamshell or not, will smash into them.  From the looks of it, the best solution is to make the center stack taller, so the fairing is in front of the small probes.  When you deploy, the pieces will scatter well in front of the delicate panels.

Another solution if you want to keep the general shape of the ship the same is to decouple the entire fairing forward of the ship, deploy it clear of the probes, and then move the ship forward to re-dock with the fairing's contents. Of course the contents of the fairing should probably have a probe core just in case.

I did the mission by deploying the shell after the probes...

That works too!  You have to carry that heavy fairing around with you in space, but if you have the dV, then it works. :)

Edited by klesh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.