KSP Weekly: The space pioneers and other adventures

SQUAD

On 5/8/2017 at 9:22 AM, Just Jim said:

That I understand... we all want the best product Squad can make. But it just seems to me in the last couple KSP Weekly's that a few replies are getting really mean and nasty about it, and sound like they would rather just scrap the whole project. How is that supposed to help anything?

Pedanticism: Please use responsibly.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Non-Disclosure Agreement.  Means I can't discuss stuff not already covered by the PR folks, and also means I can neither confirm nor deny speculation / rumors / assumptions (both correct and incorrect), etc.

Aaaa yup...I was just thinking to hard...I also like how no mater what ya say people like it :P 

lets test the theroy....say something completely unlikeable. :P

1 minute ago, regex said:

That tracking station is amazing.

-snip-

And look! No trite tropes! One imagines we could get the same from a barn...

I'm getting a odd revive the barn jive from this thread now 

Edited by Tidus Klein

Just now, Tidus Klein said:

I'm getting a odd revive the barn jive from this thread now 

I personally could care less. I'm more in it for Kerbals being represented better than as junkyard dwellers. I'm a Bac9 adherent.

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

Aren't little green men a trite trope? :wink:

Are they? As I understand that had sort of passed from the public consciousness in favor of the "grays". The barn stuff is ... persistent.

6 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Ah, the designs of bac9.

*sigh*

Pity that he stopped modding after he left the team. B9 aerospace was one of the best.

Seems to happen with every modder that joins.

Edited by Frozen_Heart

4 minutes ago, regex said:

Are they? As I understand that had sort of passed from the public consciousness in favor of the "grays". The barn stuff is ... persistent.

Right, but are we really supposed to take the notion of googley eyed spacemen assembling rockets in a barn as a grave, personal insult? That seems an overreach.

11 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Right, but are we really supposed to take the notion of googley eyed spacemen assembling rockets in a barn as a grave, personal insult? That seems an overreach.

I have no problems with the concept of a barn or assembling sounding rockets in a barn. I do have problems with the concept art including burnt out cars and dilapidated trailer parks.

Give the Kerbals something better, something that treats the players better. Same goes for the rest of the "trash aesthetic" in this game. Some find this "charming", for whatever reason; I find it limiting and disrespectful, not only of those little green guys but also to the players of the game.

I'm suprised everyone's commenting on the antenna, and no one seems to have noticed that you would have been able to BUILD your space center and move the buildings around.

edit: sorry this is kinda getting off topic, if the mods desire I'll start a new thread for this

Edited by minepagan

^Its an interesting notion, but if we're asking if its worth the effort we've kind of got to ask what the utility would be. KSC is really more of a 3d menu. The buildings aren't really spaces, they're just a UI interface. There really isn't a point to having more than one launchpad or a strategic reason it would be better here or there. It seems like a lot of work for a cosmetic change.

33 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

^Its an interesting notion, but if we're asking if its worth the effort we've kind of got to ask what the utility would be. KSC is really more of a 3d menu. The buildings aren't really spaces, they're just a UI interface. There really isn't a point to having more than one launchpad or a strategic reason it would be better here or there. It seems like a lot of work for a cosmetic change.

Well with current gameplay mechanics, it would allow you to build the RnD facility as big as you want. You could also add other runways at different angles so you could more easily launch and land spaceplanes to different orbits. You could even build another Admin building so you could have more strategies active. If you added in something like KCT, multiple launchpads or VABs would be useful to build several craft at once. You could also build things like radio and visual telescopes, particle accelerators, and other buildings to possibly add a small science income. Heck, you could even add in launch stands for rep and fund income with each launch. Or, if nothing else, building "spare" buildings when you had plenty of funds would be helpful when you use one for unscheduled impact testing while you're short on funds.

sorry for wall of text here have a star :rep:

Edited by minepagan

39 minutes ago, minepagan said:

I'm suprised everyone's commenting on the antenna, and no one seems to have noticed that you would have been able to BUILD your space center and move the buildings around.

I noticed this pretty much as soon as the preview art was released for the new space center; I was really hoping they'd do something with it but since they haven't... vOv

Well, I guess they have, I mean, we can blow up our buildings lol, that's so useful, what a fantastic addition to the gameplay.

Edited by regex

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

It would add depth in a particular element for people who want it. I think that's pretty dlc worthy if you ask me, and it could include a dock building for all those ksp boat builders to love and follow up with boat parts dlc all stuff that is a bit much for stock but a great way to fund polishing stock off the wallets of users looking to try something new with ksp.

Edited by passinglurker

minepagan writes about a functional city builder; and if they took on that large of a project to code that much flexibility for "KSC" it would not be too big a step from there to building space centers on any planet. Let that be KSP "2.0."  I think the idea adds too many features (and would have to rewrite too much code) to "tack on" to "1.0."  

2 minutes ago, basic.syntax said:

minepagan writes about a functional city builder; and if they took on that large of a project to code that much flexibility for "KSC" it would not be too big a step from there to building space centers on any planet. Let that be KSP "2.0."  I think the idea adds too many features (and would have to rewrite too much code) to "tack on" to "1.0."  

There is no rule that says dlc can't be ambitious. You could argue that a visually programmable mission scenario editor is ksp 2.0 material to if the devs didn't already say they were gonna do it. As for the real viability of the building idea in particular I'll leave that up to the modders that have worked on things like kerbalkonstructs and kerbinside to judge.

1 hour ago, basic.syntax said:

Part of what makes KSC work is that the terrain has been perfectly leveled around it. To place buildings anywhere you'd be getting into some deformable terrain stuff. This could be cool for a lot of applications, but a big haul programming wise Im sure. Another part of what makes KSP great is it really gives you a sense of what it takes to haul stuff around a solar system. Its not just mass, its packaging things in a way that you can launch them and assemble them in situ. Im all about the idea of living off the land and growing but I tend to think it should be about deliverable resource and manufacturing parts in the interplanetary launchpads/ mks kind of way. 

The difference with adding another building tier is you aren't fundamentally re-writing the way career works, you're just adding some art assets to give a sense of story and level out some of the step-ups career wise. All that said I think there are way more important things that could be added and refined (dV, part overhauls, alarm clock, etc.)

Edited by Pthigrivi

As a game element expanding KSC would be worth it perhaps, but I'd much rather see art department hours going into current and/or new planets. How much time do people spend on the KSC grounds? The planets and spacecraft are the real stars of the game.

37 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

The planets and spacecraft are the real stars of the game.

And that's one reason I'd prefer something as ambitious as a rewrite of how KSC is put together, to be a new and separate game. Let KSP "1.0" keep its focus. As Pthigrivi notes, true arbitrary placement of space center buildings on Kerbin or other planets should include some terrain deformation / sculpting options... and while we're thinking up all this work for other people - Unreal or CryEngine may be better suited to the task :)  

I also appreciate the line of debate this spawns (better suited for another thread) of whether expanding to other planets in a KSP "2.0" would depend on an expanded resource system for local construction, or assemblies that would be purchased on Kerbin and flown out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.