Kerbal Replica Challenge.

@dundun92:

If I may gently offer some advice...

Just because people push back against your challenge, it doesn't mean your challenge is bad. I've had quite a few challenges that were shot down when people pointed out problems with my scoring systems. Rather than becoming offended, use it to make your challenge better.

You might want to consider other elements than part count alone, like physical size, powerplant(s), dry weight, gross liftoff weight, endurance, armament capabilities, and the like. All those things can be compared to the actual plane. My entry earlier carried way, way too much fuel but if I had tried to replicate the real Mirage more closely it would have ended up handling a lot better because I would have given it weapons rather than fuel.

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

@dundun92:

If I may gently offer some advice...

Just because people push back against your challenge, it doesn't mean your challenge is bad. I've had quite a few challenges that were shot down when people pointed out problems with my scoring systems. Rather than becoming offended, use it to make your challenge better.

You might want to consider other elements than part count alone, like physical size, powerplant(s), dry weight, gross liftoff weight, endurance, armament capabilities, and the like. All those things can be compared to the actual plane. My entry earlier carried way, way too much fuel but if I had tried to replicate the real Mirage more closely it would have ended up handling a lot better because I would have given it weapons rather than fuel.

The only issue is that KSP isnt to scale, and isnt the most realistic in terms of airplane preformance, even with FAR installed. Thanks for the advice.

11 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

All the more to factor into the challenge!

Hold on. KSP is real scale. Compare @Triop Mirage III dimensions to the real life ones

Spoiler

G General characteristics

Crew: 1

Length: 15.03 m (49 ft 4 in)

Wingspan: 8.22 m (27 ft 0 in)

Height: 4.5 m (14 ft 9 in)

Wing area: 34.85 m2 (375.1 sq ft)

Empty weight: 7,050 kg (15,543 lb)

Gross weight: 9,600 kg (21,164 lb)

Max takeoff weight: 13,700 kg (30,203 lb)

Powerplant: 1 × SNECMA Atar 09C

afterburning turbojet engine, 41.97 kN (9,440 lbf) thrust dry, 60.8 kN (13,700 lbf) with afterburner

Powerplant: 1 × SEPR 841 liquid-fuelled rocket engine, 14.7 kN (3,300 lbf) thrust

Performance

Maximum speed: 2,350 km/h (1,460 mph; 1,269 kn)

Combat range: 1,200 km (746 mi; 648 nmi)

Ferry range: 3,335 km (2,072 mi; 1,801 nmi)

Service ceiling: 17,000 m (56,000 ft)

Rate of climb: 237 m/s (46,600 ft/min)

Ive changed the scoring system. It wont affect this weeks entries, but will affect next week onwards.

3 hours ago, dundun92 said:

If your plane was placed besides a real Mirage III, would an expert tell that it was supposed to be a Mirage III? At least use the more swept back delta wing. But ill count it anyway.

Just a few posts back you were saying that the idea wasn't to make the best replica, but to be creative.  Well I've been creative and used as few parts as I can get away with whilst still making it flyable, and now you're asking if someone would identify it as a replica if it was placed next to the real thing.  Make your mind up.

Too many moving goalposts in this challenge, I'm out.

Edited by Scarecrow

13 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Just a few posts back you were saying that the idea wasn't to make the best replica, but to be creative.  Well I've been creative and used as few parts as I can get away with whilst still making it flyable, and now you're asking if someone would identify it as a replica if it was placed next to the real thing.  Make your mind up.

Too many moving goalposts in this challenge, I'm out.

I just changed the rules.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.