[1.12.2] BARIS - Building A Rocket Isn't Simple

Angelo Kerman

On 7/19/2021 at 11:18 PM, panarchist said:

I don't know where you'd get that idea - it was updated through 1.10 and there wasn't anything in 1.11 to break it - it's definitely not dead.

The creator of the mod hasn't said anything about the mod compatibility, so i got that idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any workarounds for BARIS and ExtraPlanetary Launchpads? I found an old comment by Angel:

On 10/26/2017 at 2:45 PM, Angel-125 said:

Vehicles are considered integrated when built out in the field.

Also, I finally found the crash that happens when you add BARIS to an existing save and switch to an active vessel. Fix in the works. Was affecting my career game too...

But that doesn't seem to be true anymore. Every part, no matter how reliable, it at 5 when built with EPL. I will note I am running KCT, which removes integration in favor of it's own time, intended behavior. Does BARIS not work with both EPL and KCT? Makes using EPL impossible, as switching to the base I built because something broke every five minutes is not my kind of fun!

BARIS isn't working for me. KSP 1.12.2 with BARIS 1.11.0, fresh download installed normally, mod activated and "parts can break" selected, but the test bench doesn't even see any parts to test in the VAB. Says load a vessel or parts, when the parts are loaded.

I see these lines in KSP.log:

[ERR 17:43:17.836] The file can not be loaded because it was created for another build target that is not compatible with this platform.
Please make sure to build AssetBundles using the build target platform that it is used by.
File's Build target is: 6

[ERR 17:43:17.836] Unknown error occurred while loading 'archive:/CAB-f85b45a433ff23fb460cf7275d2335e8/CAB-f85b45a433ff23fb460cf7275d2335e8'.

[ERR 17:43:17.836] The AssetBundle 'file://H:\Kerbal Space Program\ksp-win64-1.12.2\KSP_win64\GameData\WildBlueIndustries\000BARIS\KSPedia\baris.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.

[ERR 17:43:17.836] Error while getting Asset Bundle: The AssetBundle 'file://H:\Kerbal Space Program\ksp-win64-1.12.2\KSP_win64\GameData\WildBlueIndustries\000BARIS\KSPedia\baris.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.

[ERR 17:43:17.836] AssetLoader: Bundle is null

I love this mod so much, I don't want to play KSP without it. How can I fix this, please?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 6:28 PM, White Owl 2 said:

BARIS isn't working for me. KSP 1.12.2 with BARIS 1.11.0, fresh download installed normally, mod activated and "parts can break" selected, but the test bench doesn't even see any parts to test in the VAB. Says load a vessel or parts, when the parts are loaded.

I see these lines in KSP.log:

[ERR 17:43:17.836] The file can not be loaded because it was created for another build target that is not compatible with this platform.
Please make sure to build AssetBundles using the build target platform that it is used by.
File's Build target is: 6

[ERR 17:43:17.836] Unknown error occurred while loading 'archive:/CAB-f85b45a433ff23fb460cf7275d2335e8/CAB-f85b45a433ff23fb460cf7275d2335e8'.

[ERR 17:43:17.836] The AssetBundle 'file://H:\Kerbal Space Program\ksp-win64-1.12.2\KSP_win64\GameData\WildBlueIndustries\000BARIS\KSPedia\baris.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.

[ERR 17:43:17.836] Error while getting Asset Bundle: The AssetBundle 'file://H:\Kerbal Space Program\ksp-win64-1.12.2\KSP_win64\GameData\WildBlueIndustries\000BARIS\KSPedia\baris.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.

[ERR 17:43:17.836] AssetLoader: Bundle is null

I love this mod so much, I don't want to play KSP without it. How can I fix this, please?

Seems like a temporary fix would be to delete the baris.ksp file - that's the KSPedia file, which isn't actually necessary for BARIS to run.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, Brent Kerman said:

Does anyone have any workarounds for BARIS and ExtraPlanetary Launchpads? I found an old comment by Angel:

But that doesn't seem to be true anymore. Every part, no matter how reliable, it at 5 when built with EPL. I will note I am running KCT, which removes integration in favor of it's own time, intended behavior. Does BARIS not work with both EPL and KCT? Makes using EPL impossible, as switching to the base I built because something broke every five minutes is not my kind of fun!

You could try Ground Construction. Last time I checked Baris worked with it.

Hello ! I'm trying to use the current version of BARIS with KSP 1.12. The test bench says to add parts that can break (even when I have a ship ready to build), and the integration says cost NaN and status completed right away. 
I looked at the logs and saw this error, although I'm not sure it's related to BARIS:

[EXC 13:54:56.359] NotSupportedException: The invoked member is not supported in a dynamic module.
	System.Reflection.Emit.AssemblyBuilder.get_Location () (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
	_BuildManager._BuildManager+<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<logVersion>b__0 (System.Reflection.Assembly x) (at <e4b5582dab1d42df871d52053423f128>:0)
	System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereSelectArrayIterator`2[TSource,TResult].ToList () (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
	System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source) (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
	_BuildManager._BuildManager.logVersion () (at <e4b5582dab1d42df871d52053423f128>:0)
	_BuildManager._BuildManager.Awake () (at <e4b5582dab1d42df871d52053423f128>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
	AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
	AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
	<LoadObjects>d__90:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
	<CreateDatabase>d__71:MoveNext()
	GameDatabase:StartLoad()
	<LoadSystems>d__11:MoveNext()
	LoadingScreen:Start()

12 hours ago, ganlhi said:

Hello ! I'm trying to use the current version of BARIS with KSP 1.12. The test bench says to add parts that can break (even when I have a ship ready to build), and the integration says cost NaN and status completed right away. 
I looked at the logs and saw this error, although I'm not sure it's related to BARIS:

[EXC 13:54:56.359] NotSupportedException: The invoked member is not supported in a dynamic module.
	System.Reflection.Emit.AssemblyBuilder.get_Location () (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
	_BuildManager._BuildManager+<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<logVersion>b__0 (System.Reflection.Assembly x) (at <e4b5582dab1d42df871d52053423f128>:0)
	System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereSelectArrayIterator`2[TSource,TResult].ToList () (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
	System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source) (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
	_BuildManager._BuildManager.logVersion () (at <e4b5582dab1d42df871d52053423f128>:0)
	_BuildManager._BuildManager.Awake () (at <e4b5582dab1d42df871d52053423f128>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
	AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
	AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
	<LoadObjects>d__90:MoveNext()
	<CreateDatabase>d__71:MoveNext()
	GameDatabase:StartLoad()
	<LoadSystems>d__11:MoveNext()
	LoadingScreen:Start()

BARIS 1.11.1 should fix the issue. For issues with Extraplanetary Launchpads, I'm not sure what to do there.

It's hard to believe, but BARIS is now 4 years old! I've learned quite a bit since then. Looking back, I wish I had done several things differently, like how the breakable part modules work. Also, the mod has had LOTS of complaints about causing part failures- which was the whole point of the mod. I mean, why install BARIS if you wanted parts to be reliable?

Looking back, I would've done several things differently, like using a completely different method to disable part modules when a part breaks. Instead of having ModuleBreakable... part modules derived from their non-breakable versions, and having a required plugin bridge that all my mods at the time needed even if BARIS wasn't installed, I would have just disabled the affect part modules. I would have also limited what types of parts could break to just converters, drills, and engines- and maybe probe cores that weren't hibernating. Vessel integration probably wouldn't be a thing either- I'd just rely on KCT. And I wouldn't bother with trying to make parts fail while a vessel was out of focus- that proved to just slow down the game.  It could've been handled by a "catch up" mechanic that is employed when you focus on the vessel again. What I can see after 4 years is that BARIS was just too complicated and it required players to make too much of an effort to configure it to their liking. And as a result, I got a lot of complaints.

So, I recently started with a clean slate to apply lessons learned and leverage the fact that KSP 1 has reached its final form.

I went back to the drawing board to figure out how to implement my original purpose for BARIS: make things wear out to encourage replacing things like ships and stations. To that end, I'm working on a new soon-to-be-released mini-mod called EVA Repairs that could be thought of as BARIS-Lite. With EVA Repairs:

• Parts have a Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF), just like in BARIS. When that MTBF runs out, the part fails.
  • EVA Repairs is smart and only reduces MTBF when an engine, drill, generator, or converter is left running (or, possibly, when a probe core is hibernating).
  • Only a select few part modules can fail, including engines, drills, generators, and converters- and maybe unkermanned probe cores. BUT, for each part config, you have the ability to add additional part modules that can fail via the part's config node.
  • If an engine that's currently running can't be shut off (I'm looking at you, SRBs), then I might have it decouple, explode, or just be excluded from failing. I'm leaning towards having it decouple from the vessel- with spectacular results.
  • Instead of making Breakable versions of part modules, when a part fails, EVA Repairs simply disables the part module so that it no longer runs, and its UI no longer shows up. EVA Repairs is smart enough to shut down engines, generators, drills, and converters beforehand.
  • When parts fail, the stock event onPartFailed is called. Similarly, when a part is repaired, the stock event onPartFixed is called. It also calls the part module's OnInactive virtual method. This allows me and other modders to customize what happens when a part module fails right before it's disabled by EVA Repairs.
  • Instead of requiring the custom Equipment resource to repair parts, EVA Repairs requires one or more stock EVA Repair Kits. Various parts will require engineers with 1 or more skill ranks.
  • You don't need a kerbal to go on EVA if you have a T.H.O.M.P.B.E.R.R.Y. Repair Bot with EVA Repair Kits in its inventory that detaches from the vessel to go fix the broken part.
  • If you haven't visited  a vessel in awhile, then the MTBF reduction will account for how long it's been and then "catch up" when you return.

That's the basis of EVA Repairs. You can have a grand old time with just the basics. But you can ratchet up the challenge a notch by enabling the ability for parts to wear out. If you do:

• Each time a part is repaired, it loses a percentage of its maximum MTBF. The exact amount is determined by the EVA Repairs config node for the part.
  • When a part runs out of MTBF and it has no more maximum MTBF to replenish it, it not only fails, it wears out and can no longer be repaired.

Just those two options is enough to encourage replacement of stations and vessels, which again, is what I originally wanted BARIS to do. But you can make things harder if you wish. You can enable the option for parts to fail upon activation. If you do that:

• When a part is activated, such as when you activate an engine, there's a chance that the engine could fail. This happens when you manually turn on the engine through the Part Action Window, or when you activate a stage on the craft.
  • The chance of failure is based on MTBF, so the longer the vessel has been out there, the greater the chance of part failure when you activate it. The target number to avoid a failure is: 100 * (current MTBF / max MTBF).
  • You have to roll at or lower than the target number to avoid a part failure.

Your vehicle launches aren't likely to fail with the above options enabled, because all parts start with their maximum possible MTBF when you launch. So, if you REALLY want a challenge, then enable part Reliability. You'll have to allow parts to possibly fail upon activation in order to enable Reliability. If enabled:

• Parts have a Reliability rating akin to BARIS's quality rating. The starting Reliability is 50 out of a possible 100, but you can slide that upwards to a max of 80 starting Reliability or downwards to a minimum of 30.
  • Reliability represents flight experience with the part. Improvements to Reliability are applied to future vehicles, not the current vehicle. Thus, when a part is launched, its Reliability will never change.
  • If Reliability is enabled, then the activation check's target number  becomes: 100 *(current MTBF / maxMTBF) - (100 * (Reliability / 100))
  • If a part succeeds its activation check, then you'll gain 10 Reliability points for future missions, So if your Vector engine has 30 Reliability and the check succeeds, then the Vector on the next flight will have 40 Reliability.
  • If a part fails its activation check, then in addition to failing, you'll gain 5 Reliability points for future missions. So, your if your Vector engine has 40 Reliability, and the check fails, then the Vector on the next launch will have 45 Reliability.
  • If a part fails its activation check, then in addition to failing and requiring repairs, you'll gain 2 points of Science, up to a maximum of 10 points of Science per part type. So once you max out, say, the Vector's science gains, then you won't gain any more Science if the activation check fails. This mechanic simulates the knowledge gained when the real-world Firefly test launch failed.

With all those options enabled, EVA Repairs gives you most of the core functionality from BARIS, but without the huge number of optional parameters like deciding if parachutes/transmitters/decouplers can fail, or how many High Bays you want for vehicle integration- for that matter, there's no complexities with vehicle integration. You also don't have a Test Bench- for simplicity, you must fly to improve Reliability. And there aren't any payroll requirements or random events to contend with either.

With 3 configurable options, EVA Repairs becomes a lot simpler than BARIS, and you can disable them without bricking your mission. Is your starting Reliability too low for you? Then increase it and parts in the field will increase their Reliability to match the new minimum. Is Reliability simply too much to handle? Then disable it and it'll no longer be factored into the activation check. Or just get rid of the activation check altogether- Reliability will be ignored. Don't want parts to wear out? No problem, just disable that option, and parts in the field that are worn out will suddenly become repairable.

EVA Repairs is the wave of the future, but what does that mean for BARIS? Sadly, with my limited free time, it means that BARIS's time is nearing the end. I won't have much time to maintain it and its successor. Like KSP 1.12,2, BARIS 1.11.1 is likely to be the last revision of the mod. And while my older mods (Pathfinder, MOLE, DSEV, Buffalo, Heisenberg) will have legacy support for BARIS, my newer mods (Kerbal Flying Saucers, Blueshift, Mk-33) will use EVA Repairs. In fact, Blueshift already has a built-in prototype of EVA Repairs- which will soon be replaced by its successor as well.

I would like to thank everybody who has tolerated BARIS for the past 4 years, your thoughts and feedback have influenced its successor. I can provide limited support for BARIS until the end of 2021, but after that I have to focus my attention elsewhere. If there is someone who'd like to take the reins of BARIS, please feel free to DM me and we can talk about what that'd look like.

Thanks again, and I hope you'll give EVA Repairs a look when it's released. :)

On 9/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, Angel-125 said:

With all those options enabled, EVA Repairs gives you most of the core functionality from BARIS, but without the huge number of optional parameters like deciding if parachutes/transmitters/decouplers can fail, or how many High Bays you want for vehicle integration- for that matter, there's no complexities with vehicle integration. You also don't have a Test Bench- for simplicity, you must fly to improve Reliability. And there aren't any payroll requirements or random events to contend with either.

With 3 configurable options, EVA Repairs becomes a lot simpler than BARIS, and you can disable them without bricking your mission. Is your starting Reliability too low for you? Then increase it and parts in the field will increase their Reliability to match the new minimum. Is Reliability simply too much to handle? Then disable it and it'll no longer be factored into the activation check. Or just get rid of the activation check altogether- Reliability will be ignored. Don't want parts to wear out? No problem, just disable that option, and parts in the field that are worn out will suddenly become repairable.

EVA Repairs is the wave of the future, but what does that mean for BARIS? Sadly, with my limited free time, it means that BARIS's time is nearing the end. I won't have much time to maintain it and its successor. Like KSP 1.12,2, BARIS 1.11.1 is likely to be the last revision of the mod. And while my older mods (Pathfinder, MOLE, DSEV, Buffalo, Heisenberg) will have legacy support for BARIS, my newer mods (Kerbal Flying Saucers, Blueshift, Mk-33) will use EVA Repairs. In fact, Blueshift already has a built-in prototype of EVA Repairs- which will soon be replaced by its successor as well.

Thanks again, and I hope you'll give EVA Repairs a look when it's released. :)

Looking forward to that - is there a dev thread for it?

I sincerely hope there will be some way to opt in other parts (by adding a PartModule or something) so that intrepid patch writers can create optional addons for those of us who want the chance of a 'chute failure, or tanks leaking, or whatever. If that's not going to open a giant can of worms, that is.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:15 AM, Angel-125 said:

Thanks again, and I hope you'll give EVA Repairs a look when it's released.

Great news! You can never have enough failure mods, I think. 

Another things to consider - have you looked at another failure mods like:

1) Kerbalism  - I guess it is possible to disable Kerbalism's failures in config, however it would be extremly cool if mods interation will be possible (especially repair with repair kits)

2)Kerbal Krash System - this one is unique because part failures (like engine overheat, fuel tank leaks) are based on physical damage inflicted to parts - and even parts deformation implenemnted!...

On 9/14/2021 at 2:29 PM, panarchist said:

Looking forward to that - is there a dev thread for it?

I sincerely hope there will be some way to opt in other parts (by adding a PartModule or something) so that intrepid patch writers can create optional addons for those of us who want the chance of a 'chute failure, or tanks leaking, or whatever. If that's not going to open a giant can of worms, that is.

You can definitely opt-in other parts via Module Manager, but out of the box, EVA Repairs doesn't add them in order to keep things simple. The wiki explains how to add additional parts via Module Manager patches.

Unlike BARIS, EVA Repairs doesn't need Module Manager to add part failure functionality to engines, drills, generators, and converters. It's done automatically. Also unlike BARIS, EVA Repairs is enabled by default, but you can temporarily turn it off if needed.

There is indeed a dev thread for it:

On 9/14/2021 at 9:51 PM, evileye.x said:

Great news! You can never have enough failure mods, I think. 

Another things to consider - have you looked at another failure mods like:

1) Kerbalism  - I guess it is possible to disable Kerbalism's failures in config, however it would be extremly cool if mods interation will be possible (especially repair with repair kits)

2)Kerbal Krash System - this one is unique because part failures (like engine overheat, fuel tank leaks) are based on physical damage inflicted to parts - and even parts deformation implenemnted!...

I haven't looked at either of these. EVA Repairs is intended to be simple and lightweight with few configurable options.

23 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

You can definitely opt-in other parts via Module Manager, but out of the box, EVA Repairs doesn't add them in order to keep things simple. The wiki explains how to add additional parts via Module Manager patches.

Unlike BARIS, EVA Repairs doesn't need Module Manager to add part failure functionality to engines, drills, generators, and converters. It's done automatically. Also unlike BARIS, EVA Repairs is enabled by default, but you can temporarily turn it off if needed.

There is indeed a dev thread for it:

I haven't looked at either of these. EVA Repairs is intended to be simple and lightweight with few configurable options.

Awesome, thanks!

re: evileye.x's comment - Kerbalism is the opposite of simple and lightweight. :D It's pretty outstanding, but kind of an all-or-nothing deal, it doesn't play with others well.

1 hour ago, Assassinxpq said:

Hi,

New to the mod, it is said that you are supposed to find an entry for BARIS in Kspedia. However i am unable to find the entry. I used CKAN to install the mod.

KSPedia was borked awhile ago due to changes in how KSPedia files are created. Check out the wiki instead. But please bear in mind that at this point, BARIS is on its way out and my ability to support it is limited. By end of 2021 I'll be retiring the mod. Meanwhile, I'm focused on its successor, EVA Repairs:

Good to see that you're working on a follow-up to BARIS - I'm happy to switch to EVA Repairs! Just a question: are there any issues with removing BARIS from an existing save? Assuming that no vessels are undergoing integration, and there are no crafts with the custom Equipment parts.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason when I use Airplanes plus parts or tweakscale a plane part they always partially fail on engine start. I have fully integrated the planes but it still happens and almost exclusively with the Juno, Wheesley, FAT airplane wings, and ANY modded or tweakscaled parts, mainly cockpits. 
Again they are fully integrated and this STILL HAPPENS.

On 9/25/2021 at 4:10 PM, bvsveera said:

Good to see that you're working on a follow-up to BARIS - I'm happy to switch to EVA Repairs! Just a question: are there any issues with removing BARIS from an existing save? Assuming that no vessels are undergoing integration, and there are no crafts with the custom Equipment parts.

For what its worth, here's my update: I've removed BARIS from my GameData (kept the 000ABARISBridgeDoNotDelete folder just in case) and replaced it with EVA Repairs and Kerbal Construction Time. So far, nothing in my save seems to be borked; all my active spacecraft are still in their orbits/on planetary surfaces (high bays were emptied and no vessels with BARIS' custom equipment parts were present).

On 9/24/2021 at 11:10 PM, bvsveera said:

No issues. If you drop EVA Repairs into an existing save, then you'll want to consider not using its Reliability option (it is turned off) as any ships in the field won't have a built up Reliability rating. EVA Repairs is undergoing rapid development (in other words, frequent updates), but it should start slowing down as more of the features mature.

• 2 months later...

I am having an issue where parts will fail while in the VAB. For instance, I'll take the Mun lander DLC part and when I click on it, it will say "XXX part has suffered another component failure! XXX part is broken: medium leak" or something. Over time in the VAB the resuorces will leak out of that part, and the failures were persist to the flight scene. No matter how many times I replace the part, the same thing will still break, but it only happens to some parts. I think the Mk1 lander can is suffering the same problem.

I am playing without integration time.

The possibility for mod conflicts is definitely there. I am playing a highly uunconventional save where I'm playing with as many random failure mods as possible.

Here is my GameData folder:

b5cXozN.png

If this is a known issue with a known fix, please let me know, but if it looks tricky I can simply play without those parts.

On 12/21/2021 at 12:35 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

I am having an issue where parts will fail while in the VAB. For instance, I'll take the Mun lander DLC part and when I click on it, it will say "XXX part has suffered another component failure! XXX part is broken: medium leak" or something. Over time in the VAB the resuorces will leak out of that part, and the failures were persist to the flight scene. No matter how many times I replace the part, the same thing will still break, but it only happens to some parts. I think the Mk1 lander can is suffering the same problem.

I am playing without integration time.

The possibility for mod conflicts is definitely there. I am playing a highly uunconventional save where I'm playing with as many random failure mods as possible.

Here is my GameData folder:

b5cXozN.png

If this is a known issue with a known fix, please let me know, but if it looks tricky I can simply play without those parts.

There is likely a mod conflict somewhere, I'm afraid. At this point though, I've switched over to EVA Repairs; BARIS is simply too complicated for most players, and is difficult too maintain. In January I'll be retiring this thread (locking it) and discontinuing it in favor of EVA Repairs. I mentioned this back in September, so this is a heads up that unless someone wants to take over development, BARIS will be shutting its doors in about 3 days on Jan 1, 2022.

On 12/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, Angel-125 said:

unless someone wants to take over development, BARIS will be shutting its doors in about 3 days on Jan 1, 2022.

It was a good run. I wish I had the technical chops to take it over, there are a couple of aspects I really liked about it. So far, EVA repairs has worked pretty well, so really I think all I miss was the "lite" analogue to KCT.