Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot)

Mjp1050

6 hours ago, NightshineRecorralis said:

With 40 passengers and that kind of speed, this should be considered a small regional jet, just saying.

I never said my Kalcing was a small regional jet. I said it was a turbojet, right at the very top of my post you quoted. (Turboprop? I can never remember if the category is called turbojet or turboprop)

17 minutes ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

I never said my Kalcing was a small regional jet. I said it was a turbojet, right at the very top of my post you quoted. (Turboprop? I can never remember if the category is called turbojet or turboprop)

It is quoted to be a turboprop when it should be a small regional jet.

The Lackheed Corporation would like to submit our Jumbo Jet, the L-1011. Our one and only commercial airliner.

bSHqhu7.jpg

https://kerbalx.com/macktruck6666/L-1011

You can now fly on the much safer "tri" engine aircraft. The added redundancy ensures our costumers safety.

The 79.1 liftoff/stall speed also makes for a great glide slope.

Pilots can make their landings quicker by toggling switch number 1 which will reverse thrust of the side engines and cut thrust to the center. Just toggle the switch again to go forward.

The cabin has carry 192 kerbals with extravagance and plenty of room Unfortunately those in the back of the aircraft do not have a clear view so order tickets quickly before window seats run out.

It weighs slightly over 185 tons when fully loaded the 132 parts and fuel cost a meager 333,131,000 kerbucks. (333,131 ingame)

It is recommended to climb and level off at 3km altitude when fully loaded to maximize fuel efficiency. Pilots may choose to climb higher when the gross mass of the craft has declined after extended fuel usage. Watch out for those mountains near Kerbal Space Center as the rate of climb is quite slow.

So, come and join us in the air.... before this thing bankrupts us.

Edited by macktruck6666

Gawain Aeroplane Industries Proudly Presents: The Sky Titanic

yPI1U0P.png

7B4w9hM.png

xYDCxKS.png

Skots Small is there for scale. So is Jebediah. Despite the name, the Skots Small is by no means small at all.

N9oxmQg.png

This is the latest monstrosity we have made. (And I thought my last 2 were huge. Makes you wonder how big they will get before I become sane?) It can be safely water-landed with no damage, and (unlike the Titanic) it floats. This flipping thing can whiz a monstrous 800 fortunate souls 4,370km at 222m/s, and unlike some planes the wings are guaranteed (99%) not to fall off when turning. Not that that would matter, it has several more.

It costs $304,174,000 dry ($380,217.50 per seat) and gets a GPPM of 0.012, which is excellent. (lower is better) The fact that it can circumnavigate Kerbin in less than 5 hours in that time is amazing.

We suggest flying at low altitude max throttle without afterburning.

In case of wars, not only would it make an excellent paratrooper plane, but it would be invulnerable to enemy fire, having more stuff to damage than the enemy has bullets! (300 tons)

We think they would be really useful on very high density routes, save on therapy for the poor guys in the traffic control tower who must over-see hundreds of planes at a time!

The Octuple (Double quadruple or double triple and double) engine design means if one, or two, or three, or maybe 5, engines explode it can safely get home. The action group 1 activates turbo-mode, and it can double it's power! (We recommend this to get up to speed, and from the passenger seats it looks awesome!)

And incase of any stubborn passengers not leaving, (with 800, you can bet there will be one!) the pilot has the option to flood an entire passenger compartment with dihydrogen monoxide! (Water)

We suggest not turning hard, it has been shown to lead to safety issues.

Download: here

Or here: https://kerbalx.com/BristolBrick/Massivity-Mk-Ib

Edited by CrazyJebGuy

Test Pilot Review: @Bombstar10's  The Space Company - The "Grizzly" Super Transport Civilian (ST-3 Civilian)

3tiFedd.png

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:534.701.000
  • Fuel: 18.314kallons
  • Cruising speed: 225m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 3000m
  • Fuel burn rate: 1.7kal/s
  • Range:  2400km

Review Notes:

Honestly, there's not much reviewing to do here. The only good thing about this plane is it's take-off speed, at 60m/s, which is excellent for a plane this size. Everything else, is a nightmare. Even the good take-off speed gets offset by the fact that this plane accelerates incredibly slow, which means that it still needs a very long runway to take off from. Maneuverability is okay, but there's not enough engine power, meaning that the plane can't cope with the speed bleeding of maneuvers and tends to stall out in long ones. As for range, I'm pretty sure the requirements say 4000km, this plane hardly makes it over half of that, not acceptable.

Say that you actually reach cruising speed after quite a while, you've basically killed yourself at this point. Every, and I mean EVERY, maneuver will tear at least a single wing off. The second one usually stays attached, meaning the plane just slowly cartwheels 3000m's to its death. As mentioned by OP, it can apparently fly with 2 engines, while in theory perhaps true, the truth is much different. Since usually only wing snaps off, the other wing has got 4 engines compared to the one of the broken wing, not to mention the huge difference in drag and lift, the plane can NOT fly with 2 engines. The best you can do is limit the amount of damage by trying to slow yourself down with semi controllable maneuvers. Often you are capable of splashing down more-or-less alright, having the cockpit and cabins stay in one piece. However, having this happen on every single flight we flew is hardly considered to be reliable. If you're over land when the wing snaps off, well... bad luck, you just killed 284 passengers.

Comfort is pretty much the same story as the UTB-1(a description which I won't try to equal since I can't ever outdo myself on that). Only instead of having 95 other passengers screaming at the top of their lungs, it's 283 now. Consider the noise to be significantly higher than what's  usually acceptable.

Last but definitely not last, the price...:funds:534.701.000. We can't just buy other planes with that, we can buy an entire country for that amount of money! and that for what is undoubtedly the worst performance we've ever encountered.

The Verdict:

No, just No. Jeb rates it 10 on his fun scale, but that doesn't translate into a good plane. What you've got here is a weapon of mass destruction at a ludicrously high price. We're absolutely not interested in this aircraft at all!

2 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Hi, is anyone reviewing my ISRJ-32B? Sorry if I missed an announcement somewhere. 

(Here's the link, in case it hasn't yet been claimed and so the reviewer does not have to look through 14+ pages of posts: https://kerbalx.com/TheEpicSquared/ISRJ-32B)

the ISRJ-32B is at page 6, I'm currently reviewing at page 5, so shouldn't be too long probably

Okay a discaimer about my plane. Check the struts on the end of the wing. Somehow one of them detached and kinda flops around. That wasn't inteded and probably a result from some saving glitch.

That beeing said. I'm currenty testing the range of my aircraft.

As of this post I'm at 7,200 kms while going west around the equator. It's a little questionable if I'm going to make it back to KSC before the fuel runs out, but if I do, I can complete the circumnavigation challenge this time.

Game clock, which has been running at 1x speed the whole time is at 5 hours for the mission. Looks like I will be approximately 7 hours faster then my last cicumnavigation  attempt which took 13 hours in real life to pilot. :)

Test Pilot Review:  @alric8's Cathiogac aerospace - Cathiogac 2

3J0I1lw.png

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:13.030.000
  • Fuel: 380 kallons
  • Cruising speed: 210m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 6000m
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.07kal/s
  • Range:  1140km

Review Notes:

Despite being labeled as having a boring design, we can't help but stare at it and enjoy. The aircraft's does indeed not look that special, but it does look classy. Maneuverability is as mentioned a bit of a weakness for the aircraft. While it does take off at a standard 50m/s, you can't pull away hard, since the design won't allow it, and you'll stall out and crash. Roll control and yaw control are both very much okay though. We feel that maybe using a canard with bigger wing surface at the front could improve the stats a bit. Once the plane gets up to speed and height (which does take 7+ minutes), it does fly well, though still not being the most maneuverable plane out there. It is a bit nose heavy though, meaning that we had to fly the plane while constantly angling up, meaning more drag. This also translated into a very slow acceleration, as mentioned above, and a lower than advertised top speed (we only managed 210m/s while still flying at a stable altitude). Despite not actually qualifying for the required 220m/s top speed, the 380 units of fuel combined with low fuel usage does mean that the plane still meets the range requirements fairly easily.

Emergency water landings were no issue at all, the plane could glide and bleed speed easily which made for a smooth ditching without any structural damage.

Comfort wise it's pretty much all good news. Engines mounted beneath the wings make for a quiet and soft flight, while the 6000m cruise altitude still allows the passengers to properly enjoy the view outside. The canard being mounted over the cabin hatch is a bit of an issue though, Kerbals are having a very hard time getting in and out of the plane, it kinda ruins the luxurious level that the rest of the plane already set. It also makes for long queues as the 32 passengers try to squeeze themselves in or out of the plane.

The price of :funds:13.030.000 is excellent, cheaper than most of the competition at this level, and the part count of 30 also means that she's fairly easily maintainable. The wet wings make it a bit harder, but still not enough to become a real issue.

The Verdict:

Definitely not the best plane in the category, but under no circumstances a bad one either. A solid airframe with plenty of range and a comfortable flight and all that at a lowly price of :funds:13.030.000. The plane is sadly hampered by a low speed and bad maneuverability. However, we still feel like the plane offers more than enough for the asking price. Buying 5 for thin, short routes, where the speed won't be that much of an issue, with an option for 3 more. 

Edited by panzerknoef

Submission for: Kerbal Express Airlines

Submission from: Habu Industries

Following: Colossus

yJAi4s5.jpg

Type: Jumbo Jet

Cost of Purchase: $253,104,000 (Fueled)

Suggested Operation: 5000m @ 233m/s

• Keep flaps down at speeds less than 100 m/s
  • V1: 55m/s on land.

Begin Message:

Are you tired of having to service dozens of planes for each and every route? Are you tired of competitors bragging about their biggest, bestest plane? Well, don't despair, because, for a short time, Habu Industries is offering a limited time offer to Kerbal Express Airlines for our latest and greatest creation, the Colossus. This aircraft does not need an introduction, and we believe our photos and the short video will sell you on this beast.

Range: ~ 3750km

Seats 1152 passengers

Takes off by the set of double stripes on the runway.

1 hour ago, NightshineRecorralis said:

Submission for: Kerbal Express Airlines

Submission from: Habu Industries

Following: Colossus

yJAi4s5.jpg

Type: Jumbo Jet

Cost of Purchase: $253,104,000 (Fueled)

Suggested Operation: 5000m @ 233m/s

• Keep flaps down at speeds less than 100 m/s
  • V1: 55m/s on land.

Begin Message:

Are you tired of having to service dozens of planes for each and every route? Are you tired of competitors bragging about their biggest, bestest plane? Well, don't despair, because, for a short time, Habu Industries is offering a limited time offer to Kerbal Express Airlines for our latest and greatest creation, the Colossus. This aircraft does not need an introduction, and we believe our photos and the short video will sell you on this beast.

Range: ~ 3750km

Seats 1152 passengers

Takes off by the set of double stripes on the runway.

Now try to make that without tweakscale and in stock. BTW, whats the range.

Edited by macktruck6666

5 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

It's the Size 2 compartment with AirplanesPlus. And yes it does, it counts as much as the Mk3 cabin

Looked at the rules, Mk3 passenger compartments count as the same as Size 2. By upsizing it you are just being nicer to fatties.

Just now, RedPandaz said:

It's the Size 2 compartment with AirplanesPlus

43 minutes ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

Looked at the rules, Mk3 passenger compartments count as the same as Size 2. By upsizing it you are just being nicer to fatties.

I'm...what are you even trying to argue?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.