Strake

[1.3.1] Sonic Realism

Modifies the in-flight sound to be more realistic:

• Makes the amplitude what an actual comoving listener would hear at the position of the camera — if the craft is supersonic, you will not hear any sound outside the shock cone, and will hear louder close to the shock
  • Mutes the sound by atmospheric density — the thinner the air, the quieter the sound
  • Has no effect in IVA mode

I was using Atmospheric Sound Enhancement, but it not works with latest KSP, ergo Sonic Realism.

Code

Download

MIT License

To use, copy SonicRealism.dll somewhere into your GameData directory (for example: GameData/SonicRealism).

Cheers!

Edited by Strake
Added link to license.

FYI: The usual way of packaging mods is in a directory inside GameData, alongside the Squad directory. GameData/SonicRealism or something similar. While putting DLLs in the old legacy structure might work, it's deprecated and has been for some time.

Thanks, modified instructions/installer script. (I was following a mod tutorial which said to put it into Plugins.)

Excellent.  I was hoping someone would do a mod like this.  Does it also give you the sonic boom sound when you reach the speed of sound?

15 hours ago, Probus said:

Does it also give you the sonic boom sound when you reach the speed of sound?

Not as such — the sonic boom, to my knowledge, is essentially due to the Doppler effect, so all the sound emitted since going supersonic (in theory) hits the listener simultaneously; a comoving listener hears no such effect. However, the motion of the medium affects the relation between the angle at which sound is emitted and the angle at which it propagates, which makes the sound essentially bunch up at the shock front, which amplifies the sound close to the shock front, which this mod simulates.