Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems (Orbital ATK) thread

tater

8 hours ago, Nightside said:

So the Omega is basically a Hydrolox upper stage sitting on 8 Solid Rocket Motors? Do they have any intention of getting man-rating? Could it lift the Orion?

Solid boosters have a bad reputation, and man-ratings are expensive.  Also Northrup is a government contractor first and foremost: they won't do *any* R&D that isn't paid for by Uncle Sam.  If they want to get it man-rated, they need an entirely different handout from NASA to do it (Air Force hasn't launched astronauts since the X-15).  This would likely require ripping up the designs the Air Force paid for and replacing with new "man rated' work.  I can't see it happening thanks to either reason (SRBs or contracting issues) and both together make it worse.

Edited by wumpus
what was I typing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, but clearly Grumman are having issues with managing Pegasus. 

I'm not saying "Launch right now because I'm bored and want to see explosions!" I'm saying "You've been trying to launch this satellite for 18 months now, on a flight proven and reliable launch system. What is going wrong to make this happen?"

If this was happening with a Delta 4 launch, people would rightly start asking questions about where the failures were originating from. 

NG-10 has been pushed back a day due to weather, and there's a chance that it will be pushed back another day. 

Personally, living close enough to Wallops to see these launches from home, I kinda hope it gets pushed back again- better cloud coverage for me. I haven't actually been able to see any of them yet (except for one Minotaur launch in 2013 that I saw, but I went to Wallops for that one) due to weather or scheduling problems.

But, if it isn't delayed again, the Progress MS-10 launch is on the same day. That makes two ISS launches in one day, and if I'm not mistaken about the flight plans here, they'd be docking on the same day as well! Has that ever happened before?

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

On 11/6/2018 at 2:30 AM, tater said:

That plane is it? 3 engine ones are rare nowdays. Large bypass, stronger engines with higher bypass and changed regulations has made 2 engines standard 
Outside the odd stuff, flew and stubby 4 engine plane with small engines once and 4 engines are common for turboprop, here bypass is irrelevant and you can make an larger plane by adding more engines.