Horizon Aeronautics - Development Thread

stubbles

Energia is on my list to do, yeah. A few other things before then. Though I'm not sure what to do if it requires new functionality as I'm not a coder/scripter.

I've always thought Energia was an impressive system on it's own merit but it also has a certain futuristic charm, of course entirely by design as those soviet systems tap into the propaganda values of rocket design as if their life depended on it... which of course it did since that was a greater proportion of their purpose. I think another result of that environment is that soviet hardware tends to be more artistic. Their systems look great on posters, even though when you walk up and put your hand on it you are face to face with something that looks genuinely Victorian in many ways. Lots of opportunity there for art to guide the textures.

Don't worry about getting drawn into a snowstorm of reusable space plane development, in the Kerbal way we'l find something neat to put on it. Kerbin mini shuttle anyone?? Polyus??

Edited by YANFRET

Energia is on my list to do, yeah. A few other things before then. Though I'm not sure what to do if it requires new functionality as I'm not a coder/scripter.

If you need a config guy, I'll have time next week. I can do balancing and stuff, I've worked with Dtobi's gimbal plugin, which is pretty much all you'll need for a fully functional Energia.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the less I like it, haha. I'll reduce them. :)

*edit* Better?

It looks great, maybe spread the logos vertically? I mean this will still become my main launcher regardless.

EDIT: In regards to Energia, I have to say that a scratchbuilt shuttle would be fantastic. It would allow for the ultimate in creative freedom.

Edited by SkyHook

Sweet mother of heavy rocket propulsion, Batman! I'm literally dancing with joy as I type this (making it all rather difficult I might add)...

And since reaction images are against forum rules, I'll just employ my usual workaround, and address this with a popular meme presented in manifestation oriented prose:

*holds up camera*

"neat."

Hey, didn't see this thread before. Magnificent! Looks like ksp has a new B9! Nice work. Too bad it all looks a bit too real, like the anvil pack, but more realistic. I rather like the stock look. So please forgive my bad taste.

Stubbles, just an idea. With talents like yours, wouldn't it be more satisfying to create something innovating? Something that get people from A to B on the surface, but without chutes, skycranes or airbags. Base building is fun too. And everyone likes large IVA's with lots of blinking lights and a big red button for Jeb. I'm quite curious what some one with your skills would come up with.

Think I still might go with default particles for the initial release. Can't get good results with the setup from the Rapier engine, nor do I know how to create my own particle mu files (no info exists on how to do so). So it may not take much longer to release.

Are there things you all are looking for a in a lifter? Such as what kind of max payload size and what orbit are you looking to achieve?

I would guess that they're the real world launch capabilities for the LLS (Zenit-3SLB)

Pretty close, haha. Real stats are about 14.8tons to LEO, 6.2tons to MEO, 6.6tons to GTO and 4tons to GEO.

I'll have to track down what all of the comparable orbit distances are for Kerbin.

Think I still might go with default particles for the initial release. Can't get good results with the setup from the Rapier engine, nor do I know how to create my own particle mu files (no info exists on how to do so). So it may not take much longer to release.

Are there things you all are looking for a in a lifter? Such as what kind of max payload size and what orbit are you looking to achieve?

I think that a (modded) lifter should be 15 parts or less and be able to lift up to 10 tons to Keosynchronous orbit (or something close). Since the initial release won't have SRBs, I think that's a good goal. My standard 2.5m lifter has 1.25m SRBs and can take my payloads anywhere in the Kerbin SOI, with room to spare. About 5500 delta-v (with FAR) will achieve this. Without SRBs, Keosynch is a good goal (imo).

That looks excellent! Would be it be possible to supply a source file for the skin, so that for example we can change or remove 'Zenith' - for sad pedantics like myself :)

The rocket is a Russian rocket, whose name happens to be Zenit, and NOT the English word "Zenith."

Edited by SkyHook

The rocket is a Russian rocket, whose name happens to be Zenit, and NOT the English word "Zenith."

I'm aware of that, thanks, though it is just a translation. I meant that we may remove it entirely or replace it with something a little less out-of-universe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.