insert_name

Arianespace launch thread

should general ESA stuff get a seperate thread or be on this thread?  

28 members have voted

  1. 1. should general ESA stuff get a seperate thread or be on this thread?

    • stay on this thread
      11
    • new thread
      17


Recommended Posts

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ariane Group has successfully tested Vulcain 2.1 engine which will power their new Ariane 6 launch vehicle

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So when they are talking about "all electric satellites" they only mean propulsion. Attitude control is still bipropellant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Canopus said:

So when they are talking about "all electric satellites" they only mean propulsion. Attitude control is still bipropellant?

I think so. Why else would they fill an “all-electric” satellite with hypergolics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I think so. Why else would they fill an “all-electric” satellite with hypergolics?

Thats why i'm asking. Strange to insist on calling them all electric then.

 

Edit: the Answer seems to be that other satellites, like Al Yah 3 on this launch, use both Hypergolic and Hall Effect thrusters for Propulsion where as SES-14 uses a Hall effect thruster for circularization and stationkeeping.

Edited by Canopus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible failure? There was no telemetry after S1 Sep and still waiting for confirmation of Yahsat sep.

 

Ouch. Looks like they lost contact moments after S2 ignition and now they're looking for the sats, trying to figure out if they made it or reentered.

Potentially the first Ariane failure since 2004, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Possible failure? There was no telemetry after S1 Sep and still waiting for confirmation of Yahsat sep.

 

Ouch. Looks like they lost contact moments after S2 ignition and now they're looking for the sats, trying to figure out if they made it or reentered.

Potentially the first Ariane failure since 2004, I believe.

2018 has been a bad year for rockets it seems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really unfortunate. Wonder if it impacts the JWST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a bad way to end a day. Say they only lost communication with the stage, would it continue its mission on it's own and still release the payloads? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tater said:

This is really unfortunate. Wonder if it impacts the JWST.

Considering the only other faring big enough is new Glenn, and that hasn't flown yet they really have no choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now