Problem

Mudkip909

So i was docking 2 small ships together, and it kept moving in circles, like 2 dancers on ice. Then i tried to stop one ship to where it is zero velocity. But then when I use rcs on ship 1, ship 2 uses rcs on itself. and it kept moving. eventually i decided to use object thrower (R.I.P. Kerbal Whacker) on the ship. solved my problems. Kill 10 kerbals in career? no problem.

I'm assuming you had the unfocused craft's SAS set to Target.  When you moved the other one, its target shifted, so that's why it moved by itself.  If you need to zero out like that again, make sure you either turn SAS off on the non-controlled craft, or set it to Stability Hold.

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I'm assuming you had the unfocused craft's SAS set to Target.  When you moved the other one, its target shifted, so that's why it moved by itself.  If you need to zero out like that again, make sure you either turn SAS off on the non-controlled craft, or set it to Stability Hold.

Not only this, but the easiest method of docking to make sure both crafts line up on 90 & 180 degrees (North/South). Otherwise, you'll find that your target "drifts" as you orbit the planet. By lining up on 90/180, you eliminate an entire axis of rotation and you'll only ever have to worry about lining up the ports and docking. You'll never have to worry about drifting off course.

I do this with my space stations. Modules can be docked any which way, but shuttle docks are always 90/180.

Edited by Greenfire32

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.