10g Circumnavigation

11 hours ago, Kergarin said:

The more aspargus stages you ad, the shorter the burntime of the first boosters gets. Even with 6, the first boosters are almost immediately empty with that much engines, and that without gaining much speed.

Divide the fuel per stage proportionally to the number of engines that are firing. That's probably less-efficient, because you're shedding mass later, but your thrust curve more consistent.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:43 AM, goduranus said:

hmm, so it only needs to go 3.3x faster for 10x gravity, although 10x thrust is needed for vertical takeoff. But if you do horizontal takeoff then orbit might be possible.

Ouf!

My problem with this is: I need to tweak the throttle VERY actively.

Lift off at 9g, and you go no-where

Lift off at 12g, and you move too slow, gravity losses kill you

Lift off at 14g, and your craft vaporizes itself against the atmosphere.

My best attempt so far has 25 cores, 10 stages, each being the biggest tank and about 18 vectors.

Launch speed is 23.

That's measured in Seconds per Frame, y'all!

It gets to 50000m, 3600m/s before disintegrating from carpet burn.

If, somehow IF I can hold it together, it has enough deltav and TWR to get to orbit, and to land.

Landing is via inflatable heatshield, tiny capsule, and one awful lot of parachutes.

I'm beginning to suspect 10g orbit is unobtanium.

Here's the Beast, on the launchpad. Sorry, once i fire the engines nothing responds, least of all the F1 key.

z8oltua.png

P.S.

I just checked, this thing has 666 parts. Maybe that's why it is so evil?

Edited by MarvinKitFox

On 3/2/2018 at 10:10 PM, RedPandaz said:

What does asparagus staging do and how do you do it?

Asparagus staging is a very useful technique (at normal gravity). It allows you to burn all your engines on ascent, and it allows you to keep your boosters full until they are the next to be separated and keeps the main tank full until you have separated all your boosters. To do it, you make your even amount of liquid fuel boosters as normal, then run a fuel line feeding fuel from the first boosters to separate to the second, then repeat until you have linked to the last booster, then link into the main hull. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.