Stock IL-2 Shturmovik "Hunchback"

Hello!

I've made a replica of the IL-2 Shturmovik. 

Before I start off, I'd like to credit MajorJim! for the initial design for the bearing I use, and Azimech for showing me the design with the RCS balls.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The IL-2 was a ground attacker developed in the Soviet Union. It had a reputation for taking huge amounts of punishment, but still being able to fly home. This was because of the fact it was incredibly well armoured; this made it immune to small arms fire. The armour worked both as armour and the actual load bearing component of the aircraft.

Like the WW1 Junkers J-1, it had an "armoured bathtub" which meant the armour surrounded the pilot and other components, like a bathtub. The IL-2 was the second most produced aircraft ever. Stalin himself loved this aircraft, describing it as "essential as air and bread for the Red Army".

Despite being one of the most produced aircraft, only a handful still exist.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The real plane (in the spoiler)

Spoiler

Il2_sturmovik.jpg

The video of it being made:

Some pictures:

rUqY2KM.jpg

jOwcVT2.jpg

o0vcp43.jpg

Top Speed: 78m/s

Top Speed (In a dive): 120m/s (however at 100m/s, there is a big chance of the propeller breaking)

Stall Speed: 19-20m/s

Takeoff Speed: around about 26m/s

Climb rate: 10-15m/s

Instructions:

1: Press space to decouple the propeller from the main craft.

2: Turn on SAS on the main craft (NOT THE PROPELLER)

3: Switch to the propeller

4: Hold down Alt+E until the Roll bar in the bottom left is completely to the left.

5: Switch back to the main craft

6: Don't touch the controls, and it should take off when it gets to 23-24m/s.

7: Fly like normal, but be gentle when it comes to dives. Don't exceed 100m/s.

Tip: Turning makes you bleed speed a lot, be sure to stay above 24-25m/s.

Download (HERE) (now on KerbalX)

Thanks for reading!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.