Corrupt Save File Question

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes.

This morning (I've been sleeping during the day lately) I ended a marathon play session of collecting science and surface scanning on Mun with a new rover I designed, worked well except for hitting the odd random bump while driving. I took a break to watch Netflix, came back an hour later to continue and found that my save couldn't be loaded. I don't remember if I exited to the main menu before closing KSP, or if the game was saving when I did so, not that it should matter if the game keeps a backup save while the save operation is finishing like it should be doing. At least I have Autoupload turned on and I only have to go back to yesterday morning's save. Still lost a lot of science and surface scans, not to mention all those hours.

What I'm wondering is how the game loads save files. Is it loaded from the save named "persistent" within each playthrough, or is it the save with the most recent timestamp?

I'm thinking if it's the former, a workaround could be to allow players to load something other than "persistent" in the event that that save is corrupt, such as a quicksave or other manually named save file.

Maybe the persistent save is the foundation and the other saves build on it, like a differential backup.

you can upload the last persistent file, so you will lose at worst only  15 minutes of gameplay, but if you upload it, and you have manually saved your game, you can the just upload it back and you are good to go from where you left.

Do you know how and where to get back your persistent file?

1 hour ago, Flavio hc16 said:

you can upload the last persistent file, so you will lose at worst only  15 minutes of gameplay, but if you upload it, and you have manually saved your game, you can the just upload it back and you are good to go from where you left.

Do you know how and where to get back your persistent file?

I can't select the persistent file. It fails to load as soon as I select my career save.

Yeah, this is a problem on consoles, and we are working on finding a solution.

To answer your question, each savegame is complete in itself. If your persistent.sfs on a PC is corrupted, all you do is pick your most recent savegame, change the name to persistent.sfs, and off you go. But you can't directly access the filesystem on a console.

Edited by bewing

20 minutes ago, bewing said:

Yeah, this is a problem on consoles, and we are working on finding a solution.

To answer your question, each savegame is complete in itself. If your persistent.sfs on a PC is corrupted, all you do is pick your most recent savegame, change the name to persistent.sfs, and off you go. But you can't directly access the filesystem on a console.

Thanks for the fast reply. What did you think about my suggestion? I'm assuming the default save that it tries to load is the persistent save. What would happen if we were able to choose which file gets loaded within a playthrough, as if we clicked the load save button while we were already playing?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.