KSP Weekly: A Jovian Pioneer

SQUAD

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

you can be sarcastic about it, it doesn't change the fact that if I am not sure about what constitutes breaking the terms of agreement I am not going to do anything that might

if other modders are fine with doing that more power to them

I've become far to jaded about companies to be anything but sarcastic.  I'm fully prepared to stop with KSP1.3.1 if people like you decide to not mod any further.  Modders have done a great job turning a decent backbone into an amazing game.  I'm willing to live with the KSP we have now, then live with a future KSP with less great modders.

Edited by klgraham1013

2 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I've become far to jaded about companies to be anything but sarcastic.  I'm fully prepared to stop with KSP1.3.1 if people like you decide to not mod any further.  Modders have done a great job turning a decent backbone into an amazing game.  I'm willing to live with the KSP we have now, then live with a future KSP with less great modders.

Keep in mind that it would be a good business decision to encourage modders since they are providing free content that increases the re-playability of the game which in turns means it increases its value.

Going against modders only makes sense if the mods can be used to turn players off the game (cheat mods on multiplayer games) anything else is just free content for your game that you don't need to pay.

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I don't work like that

If there's no word on what is allowed and what is not allowed I'm not going yo risk breaking the terms of agrerment/eula.

I can just make mods for my own enjoyment without sharing them on the internet

That is completely your choice.

The only real risk of making a mod is being asked to stop, so if you make it for yourself anyway there's not really any harm in releasing it publicly. You can always discontinue public distribution at that time. I think the risk of being asked to stop has always been there and neither increases or decreases with the new EULA, but again it's your choice.

Just remember if somehow you do get some word from a Take-Two representative, any permission they might give is always fully revocable at any time without warning.

14 minutes ago, Mako said:

That is completely your choice.

The only real risk of making a mod is being asked to stop, so if you make it for yourself anyway there's not really any harm in releasing it publicly. You can always discontinue public distribution at that time. I think the risk of being asked to stop has always been there and neither increases or decreases with the new EULA, but again it's your choice.

Just remember if somehow you do get some word from a Take-Two representative, any permission they might give is always fully revocable at any time without warning.

It's not necessarily a matter of what legally can happen or not. is the approach they have towards mods.

If I like the approach I will be continue releasing my mods, if I don't I can keep them just for me.

I would also like to know what mods are subject to this:

USER CREATED CONTENT: The Software may allow you to create content, including, but not limited to, a gameplay map, scenario, screenshot, car design, character, item, or video of your game play. In exchange for use of the Software, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the Software give rise to any copyright interest, you hereby grant Licensor an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable, and sub-licensable worldwide right and license to use your contributions in any way and for any purpose in connection with the Software and related goods and services, including, but not limited to, the rights to reproduce, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, broadcast, transmit, or otherwise communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions without any further notice or compensation to you of any kind for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions. You hereby waive and agree never to assert any moral rights of paternity, publication, reputation, or attribution with respect to Licensor's and other players' use and enjoyment of such assets in connection with the Software and related goods and services under applicable law. This license grant to Licensor, and terms above regarding any applicable moral rights, will survive any termination of this Agreement.

because I'm definitely not going to release anything that falls under that category

Edited by Sigma88

40 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

because I'm definitely not going to release anything that falls under that category

Just reading that section made me feel dirty and like a bad person.

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

It's not necessarily a matter of what legally can happen or not. is the approach they have towards mods.

If I like the approach I will be continue releasing my mods, if I don't I can keep them just for me.

Fair enough, but you really only take away from the people who would like your mod. You certainly don't make a bit of difference as far as Take-Two is concerned.

Take-Two only cares about mods when they cause problems. In a single-player, offline game where mods must be manually installed, the amount of problems mods can cause is very limited. Take-Two won't notice what you do, and, on the off chance they do notice, I highly doubt they'll care either way.

And fair enough for being concerned about that section of the EULA. While I'm sure it's there to cover the missions players make with the Expansion, it is way too vague and all-encompassing to make anyone feel good about Take-Two in any way. I think the lack of specificity speaks to just how much interest they have in KSP, and makes me wonder again to what end they hope to take KSP.

Edited by Mako

29 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Just reading that section made me feel dirty and like a bad person.

I agree, I don't like that section at all. I don't like that anything I make involving KSP is automatically theirs. It's straight out of Disney, where anything their employees create on their own time belongs to Disney. It makes me not want to make any more KSP music videos, not that mine have become huge hits and I couldn't profit from them anyways. It certainly doesn't make me want to create Missions in the Mission Builder. I hope Squad will use their Builder to create Official Missions, and not just rely on the community for such content.

But yet, I'll buy MH anyways, for the parts. So many new possibilities. I don't like to use mod parts for future compatibility reasons.

I'm glad to hear the EE seems to be working properly now, it might finally be time to buy it for my boys' XB1

Edited by StrandedonEarth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.