Male kerbal model has incorrect normals

I made a post yesterday to the KSP Discussion thread regarding issues that I've found with the normals of the male character model. Specifically the arms, most noteably the hands.

This is the post I made to the Discussion thread, with the full details.

To explain the issues, here's an image of a coloured lighting rig setup I made to demostrate the problem. Green light from the right of the screen, red from the left and blue the top.

qbzk5Pl.png

The normals on the arms of the female model are fine, but the ones that the male model has are very wrong, especially on the hands.

Something I've noticed in a lot of the screenshots that I've photoshopped to make wallpaper images etc. from, is that I'd have to adjust the lighting of the hands, but until yesterday I didn't realise how big an issue with the lighting of the characters there was.

I checked earlier versions (1.2 and 1.0.4) and the problem existed then too.

I'm currently running KSP v1.3.1 with a number of plugins, but I've tried this out in a clean install as well, with the same issue being present.

Edited by purpleivan

I've just noticed some other normals issues, beyond the arms on the male character model. These being on parts of the backpack.

34kVQtW.jpg

If you look at the base of the rocket pack controller unit (ringed in red) the normals are very wrong, with the upper facing part appearing unlit and the sides too bright.

Additionally, compared with the female model, the main part of the backpack itself (green ringed) has what looks like contnuous normals (no breaks) across it, giving it a rather smudgy lighting result. However the female model benefits from various normal breaks to give the shape of the unit better definition when lit.

My guess is that when the female suit model was made (an adjusted version of the male one) that some existing normals issues were fixed, but thes fixes weren't repeated on the original male model.

If I was being really picky, I could mention that the base of the boots of the male and female models are inconsistent. The female model appears to have a normal break between the upper and undersides, whereas the male one doesn't. Maybe it's just a fashion statement thought.

Looks like a straightforward bit of work (I've been an art lead in games dev for quite a few years) to make the fixes, plus Jeb and his male buddies will feel so much better after it.

So go on... assign an artist a bug on whichever bugtracker you use... you know you want to :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.