Mun Free-Return Trajectory

Nebbie

This is a simple mission designed around doing a free-return trajectory with the Mun, with a few tips to guide them along. See if you can get to low Mun space and low Kerbin space with no maneuvers from when you reach the Mun's SOI onwards!

I suspect there's something wrong with the mission logic somewhere, but I figure that it'll only be discovered by getting it out and tested.

Download link

For those having trouble with maneuver placement etc., here is a hint at what a good free-return node looks like: https://imgur.com/uGcr9QC

Edited by Nebbie
Formatting

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea! The list of tutorials was missing a free-return trajectory, but not anymore.. I hope you add some more useful and informative ones like this.

I completed the mission, but the ending screen never appeared. (Maybe because I foolishly changed the vessel name.)

If I may suggest some more hints for your script:

• the ejection angle is about 60°
  • start with Kerbin apoapsis of about 13 MM
  • it's easier to fine-tune your maneuver nodes by slowly scrolling the mouse wheel
  • fine-tune the actual orbit using RCS, thrust limiter 0.5%, and/or a mid-course correction before entering Mun's SOI.

Here's another hint image, with apsides highlighted:  https://imgur.com/ynYxTjv

Edited by Zephram Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.