[ModRequest] Apollo Seismic Experiment

Lindy

I'd like a mod to do the Apollo seismic experiment where one mission leaves the sensor, and the next mission sends it's expended S-IVB booster to impact the Mun! I think this would make a nice mission for the expansion pack.

23 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Will this one do what you want?

Close, real close, but you need to be in control of the booster until impact, which can make trying get the C/SM in orbit, turn on the science package, and ride the booster a challenge in coordination... I'm dyslectic!!

I'd prefer to release the booster mid-course to find it's own destiny, as it would be easier to adjust the boosters course for impact at the mid-course point... Less fuel anyway :P

41 minutes ago, Lindy said:

I'd prefer to release the booster mid-course to find it's own destiny, as it would be easier to adjust the boosters course for impact at the mid-course point... Less fuel anyway

I disagree, I think it's easier to do as soon as you're done with the transfer burn.  Course corrections are always cheaper the sooner you do them.

I will usually set my Mun encounter to be low enough that everything will impact.  Point retrograde, dump the transfer stage, then a few puffs of RCS to get the CM/LM back on course for a normal non-lethal encounter.  Transfer stage should impact the surface with enough time to do your experiment and switch back to the CM for the orbital burn.

I have screenshots from last time I did it (not the impact science, though) somewhere... they may be on my laptop.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I disagree, I think it's easier to do as soon as you're done with the transfer burn.  Course corrections are always cheaper the sooner you do them.

I will usually set my Mun encounter to be low enough that everything will impact.  Point retrograde, dump the transfer stage, then a few puffs of RCS to get the CM/LM back on course for a normal non-lethal encounter.  Transfer stage should impact the surface with enough time to do your experiment and switch back to the CM for the orbital burn.

I have screenshots from last time I did it (not the impact science, though) somewhere... they may be on my laptop.

That's what I was alluding too... Do it early.  :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.