[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

15 hours ago, Secretkeeper626 said:

What about the plans for the mothership serving as a colony deployment vessel? Were those scrapped somewhere along the line or has it been that long since I check here and it was stealthy completed?

3 hours ago, AmanitaVerna said:

The big saucer is still tagged like it's incomplete or in beta or something, isn't it?

I burned out on the mothership a few years ago. The IVAs were killing me. Since then, my license for 3DS MAX got too expensive to renew and my files for the mothership- and most of my other projects- are in MAX format. I have been learning Blender but that is slow going due to other commitments. 

At this point I would need to start over with a new mothership, but that depends on time and interest. The reality is that the saucer shape has limited utility. I did experiment with a new saucer shape based on the Mk2 form factor but that is more a replacement for the existing Flapjack design.

The funny thing is that the Flapjack was originally a proof of concept for making saucer shapes fly in KSP but I also hedged my bets with it as being the only saucer design that I made in case I didn’t complete the mothership. It turned out to be the case.

If I were to start over again today I would make a saucer design similar to to remade Jupiter 2 from the Netflix Lost In Space show, but one that had more configuration options.