I managed to do some 4K Skyboxes - Questions

hoover2701

Greetings fellow KSP-players.

I have produced some 4K-Skyboxes using the brillant tutorial by @Nucleartaxi.

I even managed to convert the PNG-files to DDS (DXT1) and so far for me (1.3.1) everything works well. Of course I'd like to share my skyboxes but I am uncertain if they'll work in 1.4.x as I am not quite sure in which format / for which mod I should prepare them. I know of Texture Replacer (Replaced), DiRT and SIGMA Replacement. So, are there any suggestions you could give? Or should I simply offer them without a folder structure?

Right now, they are named:

GalaxyTex_NegativeX
GalaxyTex_NegativeY
GalaxyTex_NegativeZ
GalaxyTex_PositiveX
GalaxyTex_PositiveY
GalaxyTex_PositiveZ

Additionally, in older Skyboxes there used to be EnvMap-files which were smaller files in a separate folder. I believe they were used for reflections. Are those still necessary or do they add some other benefit?

Sorry for my noobish questions but I am no modder at all, just a guy who likes to play around with KSP... :cool:

These are the skyboxes I came up with:

Carina Nebula Skybox:

RI262Xv.jpg

M57 Ring Nebula Skybox:

YDWbF2l.jpg

NGC 6326 Nebula Skybox:

XFmnRxY.jpg

Starfield Skybox:

NSy5gB2.jpg

Twin Jets Nebula Skybox:

zCWx6Oe.jpg

As far as I know,  TRR and DIRT use the 'GalaxyTex' format. Sigma replacements uses a different format. What I recommend is just including installation instructions for each mod and including the 6 textures. Also, with TRR, the skyboxes go in the Default, not EnvMap

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.