Navigation, waypoints....am I missing something?

djr5899

Am I missing something in regards to navigation to a specific point, whether on the surface or in space?

Right now, I have a contract in career to take an EVA report on 3 specific locations.  I can see on the map they are very close to KSC.....essentially, the points are all out by the Squad monolith marker out in the distance from the KSC.   The problems:

1. The map doesn't zoom in enough to tell me exactly where these points are.  I can see them on the map, but the zoom feature doesn't get close enough in Map view to get a solid idea where these points really are.
  2. I there an actual built in waypoint system in KSP?  If there is, I've never come across it.   Seems like a very big need in the game, without the use of mods, to be able to set a point on a surface or in space, and have some type of guidance system tell you where you need to go.
  3. I actually clicked on the point on the map, and chose set Navigation.....but because it is on the surface, I see nothing on the NavBall for navigation.   I have used the Set Navigation before on a point on Kerbin in the air, like 19000m high, so I know what the symbol would look like on the Navball.  Doesn't seem that it helps if the point is on the surface.

So I ask....am I missing something?  Is there really NO true, well working Navigation system in KSP stock game?  Is there a mod that makes navigating surface and spatial waypoints better?

1 hour ago, djr5899 said:

Right now, I have a contract in career to take an EVA report on 3 specific locations.

On the surface or above some altitude? If an altitude is mentioned try putting a kerbal on the surface, activating navigation on the waypoint and look up/rotate. Here's Valentina looking up at a waypoint for a gravimetric reading 5.4km above the surface. If the waypoint is above you the navball navigation marker should be near the middle of the blue part of the navball.

Even with a ship on the launchpad the navball would normally be all blue and a waypoint with navigation activated should appear near the middle if it's directly above.

MPnMqfx.png

Edited by mystifeid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.