I made an autopilot that can go to any planet and can rendezvous and dock with any vessel using the KOS mod!

ToukieToucan

Dang! That's pretty impressive! :D I once tried putting together a rendezvous and docking script for ships in LKO... never really got around to completing it.

Out of curiosity, how does the script handle low twr ships? Can it do periapsis kicks over multiple orbits?

I can tell a lot of caffeine went into making this

On 8/5/2018 at 5:41 AM, Billanater1 said:

This is epic!

Im hoping i can do crazy stuff like this one day with KOS...

Just curious,

How long did it take you to write this code?
and, how many lines of code is it...

I worked on this last year for a few months but gave up after stuff didn't work. This year I picked it up again and used my old files as a template. In total this probably took 2 solid months.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:08 AM, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Dang! That's pretty impressive! :D I once tried putting together a rendezvous and docking script for ships in LKO... never really got around to completing it.

Out of curiosity, how does the script handle low twr ships? Can it do periapsis kicks over multiple orbits?

I can tell a lot of caffeine went into making this

I believe it can handle any kind of ship (but asparagus messes stuff up because its hard to calculate the Dv).

What do you mean with periapsis kicks?

On 8/6/2018 at 5:32 PM, HansonKerman said:

How do I install?

https://github.com/Toukie/KOS/tree/master/GAPAPOV

You can either download it as a zip or use GitHub if you're experienced with that. I just discovered that the current version has some errors after I tried to tidy the script. So for now use v.1.0.0 I'll probably fix it today or tomorrow.

The readme.txt has more information about installing.

Edited by ToukieToucan

19 minutes ago, ToukieToucan said:

<snip>

What do you mean with periapsis kicks?

<snip>

With some ships that have very low acceleration (for example, 1m/s or so), it can be inefficient to make an ejection/transfer burn in one go, because the ship could travel something like halfway around the planet before the burn is completed. So commonly one will elect to start the transfer several hours or even days early, and start with say, a 300m/s burn, raising the apoapsis somewhat. The engines are then shutdown and the ship is allowed to follow the new orbit around and then perform another 300m/s burn or so. This process is repeated until escape trajectory is achieved, at which point the rest of the burn is completed, putting the ship on the desired trajectory.

I'll see if I can find a diagram.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

44 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

With some ships that have very low acceleration (for example, 1m/s or so), it can be inefficient to make an ejection/transfer burn in one go, because the ship could travel something like halfway around the planet before the burn is completed. So commonly one will elect to start the transfer several hours or even days early, and start with say, a 300m/s burn, raising the apoapsis somewhat. The engines are then shutdown and the ship is allowed to follow the new orbit around and then perform another 300m/s burn or so. This process is repeated until escape trajectory is achieved, at which point the rest of the burn is completed, putting the ship on the desired trajectory.

I'll see if I can find a diagram.

I understand what you mean, but no it does not take that into account. Now it checks the Dv needed for the burn and burns half of the fuel before the "official" time till the node and half after. might implement that later. Although my rendezvous script does allow you to choose in how many orbits to meet up with the target (although you'd need to know where to look because its not obvious where you should enter this option. I standardly set it to 5 orbits).

Edited by ToukieToucan

On 8/5/2018 at 5:41 AM, Billanater1 said:

This is epic!

Im hoping i can do crazy stuff like this one day with KOS...

Just curious,

How long did it take you to write this code?
and, how many lines of code is it...

Checked the stats on characters and lines:

90732 characters

3085 lines of code

Edited by ToukieToucan

• 2 years later...