Need help composing a working RO + RSS mod-list

Agen0

Hello,

First of all I would like to apologize if this is not the appropriate place to post this thread, but I need some help. For literally years I have come back again and again hoping to get a good RO + RSS experience, but every time I run into problems that make it unplayable.

A little over a year ago the problem was that my game crashing constantly, but this was probably because I had too many mods installed. i basically installed all the recommended mods for RO and RSS. I didn't know that this would cause a problem.

This time the problem is that it is too easy now. It seems like progression zero is not supported by the newest version of KSP, RO and RSS. In addition to that the rockets have an unrealistically big TWR's making even single stage to orbit vehicles too easy to make (imo these should be extremely hard to make if not impossible) and for some reason when I build a rocket now the delta-V and TWR are calculated completely wrong. When I build a rocket the info box shows me some stats and those stats seem accurate when I start a flight simulation, but when I actually build the rocket for real suddenly the TWR goes up from 1.5 to 8. Something must have gone very very wrong in my install.

Long story short (or not) I am desperate to find some sort of mod list that could give me the most authentic true to life KSP experience. So at the start I should not even have any sort of stabilization help from my core at all. I would need to be forced to make the rocket spin as it takes off to prevent it from going unstable and turning. Realistic progression zero offered this.

The problem is also that there is such a huge "recommended list" forrocket parts for RO and RSS and I have no idea how many of those should install. If I install too many the game might get unstable, the game could became too easy with overpowered parts or the list in my game could become too crowded and confusing. If I don't install enough I might have a hard time building a decent rocket.

Basically I'm at a complete loss. There is just too much to think about and I really don't have any preferences other than it being as realistic as possible.

So what would a person do if they don't really care about picking out this and that. All I want is just a true to life RO + RSS experience without the fuss of having to worry about what mods I should and should not install.

Does someone have a nice list like this? I can downgrade my KSP version too if necessary.

I really hope that someone can help me with this. This mod package has the potential to be one of the most amazing games every, but I always have game breaking problems when I try to compose a list myself.

I''m sure a lot of people would be happy if they had access to such a list and not have to through all the fuss of trying to work out what works and what not.

Thank you.

Welcome to the Forums @Agen0

Keep it simple.

I would recommend using the FEWEST extra mods possible, rather than downloading everything with an RO config and hoping that it all works as expected. In my experience, too many parts in the VAB is worse than too few because I spend so much time searching for this and that perfect thing, rather than just coming with a creative solution. Additionally, the 

In fact, before you even start the game, make a few decisions on what type of rockets you want to make. US or Russian replicas? Your own creations? Do you want to build with 1960s tech, modern tech or speculative futuristic tech?

Now download one or two parts packs (supported by RO) that will give you the basic parts to build. If you are building replicas then you can actually check that what you are building makes sense thrust and weight-wise.

6 hours ago, Agen0 said:

... for some reason when I build a rocket now the delta-V and TWR are calculated completely wrong. When I build a rocket the info box shows me some stats and those stats seem accurate when I start a flight simulation, but when I actually build the rocket for real suddenly the TWR goes up from 1.5 to 8. Something must have gone very very wrong in my install.

If you are using Mechjeb, make sure that the body you are calculation TWR for is Earth. You can change it so that you can calculate TWR landing on the Moon, for example, but if you don't change it back it will have very different TWR when launching on Earth.

If that is not the problem, you may have some other issue.

Thanks for the tips. In the last install I picked a lot less packs, but perhaps it was still too much. I probably wont be using most of those parts anyway.

As for the TWR I do have it set to Earth. I use that simulation mod to test out the rocket before I launch it and everything is in order in the simulation, but in real flight everything is off. My rocket accelerates at ridiculous speeds and burns up. Not sure what might be causing this.

Also the contracts are not very helpful for me. I need to make more funds, but I am mostly getting tedious contracts asking me to do something at a specific location on Earth... and Earth is quite big.

Is there some good mod for more interesting contracts (like building a space station) and is realistic progression zero an option anymore?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.