KSP crashes to desktop very frequently

KSP: 1.4.5 Windows x64

Problem: Game Crashes to desktop. I can only play the game 30-180 mins before the game crashes. It seems like when I change the scene (Launch Rocket, Recover Vessel, Switch to, etc...) a lot of RAM space is beeing used and never becomes available again. The more I change scenes, the sooner the crash will occur.

Mods installed:

B9 Bart Switch - v2.3.3

Click Through Blocker - 0.1.6.7

Community Category Kit - 3.0.0.0

Community Resource Pack - 0.10.0.0

Community Tech Tree - 3.3.2

Dynamic Battery Storage - 1.3.2.0

Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) - 1.8

Firespitter - (unmanaged)    - v7.9.0   

Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.4.0

Kerbal Inventory System - 1.14

MechJeb 2 - 2.7.3.0

Modular Fuel Tanks - 5.11.0

ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.5.0

Module Manager - 3.0.7

Near Future Construction - 1.0.3

Near Future IVA Props - 0.3.3

Near Future Propulsion - 1.0.2

Near Future Solar - 0.8.12

Near Future Solar Core - 0.8.12

Near Future Spacecraft - 0.7.10

ScienceAlert ReAlerted - 1.9.4

Station Science Continued - v2.4.2

Toolbar Controller - 0.1.16.13

TweakScale - Rescale Everything! - v2.3.12

Reproduction steps:

It crashes most often when I change scene, but sometimes it just happens without warning.

Log:

error.log:    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cxwf_kTzYAfF7idM9hK29pwsbGfNodJk

output_log.txt:       https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qmdDEewBuLN_3_Tu-Aejpg09D-y27Bud

Edited by erikths
wrong URL links

7 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Try to run the 64bit version of KSP ;) (Use the KSP_x64.exe)

But that will only help if they're using a 64bit OS and have >4gb RAM.  Seems to me they only have 2gb ram.   I couldn't see the OS, but with only 2gb RAM, a 32bit OS is a strong possibility.

IF your machine is only running a 32bit OS, then you should consider reducing your mod loadout.   

Or get 2gb more ram.  That should be fairly cheap, and would be the "easiest" solution, just drop in the new chips and off you go.  (assuming you have the physical space to add more, you might have to get 4gb worth and replace the old ones)

6 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

But that will only help if they're using a 64bit OS and have >4gb RAM.  Seems to me they only have 2gb ram.   I couldn't see the OS, but with only 2gb RAM, a 32bit OS is a strong possibility.

Well, literally the first sentence of the OP says 'Win x64', so I'm inclined to belive it (yes, can be wrong anyway, I know)

Actually, I'm just curious how you think the system might have just 2GB of RAM? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this:

0 MB physical memory [2116 MB free].

looks more like there is still 2GB RAM left but the game cannot adress it, does it? At least, that's how I interpret this line.

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Well, literally the first sentence of the OP says 'Win x64', so I'm inclined to belive it (yes, can be wrong anyway, I know)

:confused: I scoured the error log looking for that....  sigh.... whoops.  

So yeah, KSP64 might make a difference then. 

3 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

looks more like there is still 2GB RAM left but the game cannot adress it, does it? At least, that's how I interpret this line.

65% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [2116 MB free].

I can read this a couple ways.   One, there is 2gb free right now, after the game crashed, so the game only has 2gb to play with. 

But that is the one I'm rolling with, so with the 65% in use, it seems we have about 4gb of ram, and over half of it is in use. 

I dunno, I have never figured out those lines on the log,  they're kinda ambiguous. 

But I think there's not enough free RAM to play KSP with that mod load out. 

Or as you say, it can't be addressed by the game. 

Either way, try KSPx64.

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I can read this a couple ways.   One, there is 2gb free right now, after the game crashed, so the game only has 2gb to play with. 

But that is the one I'm rolling with, so with the 65% in use, it seems we have about 4gb of ram, and over half of it is in use. 

I dunno, I have never figured out those lines on the log,  they're kinda ambiguous. 

I just compared a 64bit crash log with a 32bit crash log and I have to agree...it is really a bit ambiguous^^

32bit:

38% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [114 MB free]

64bit:

23% memory in use.
32732 MB physical memory [25040 MB free].
32732 MB paging file [22714 MB free].
134217728 MB user address space [134210031 MB free].

Both logs from my own system with 32GB RAM so now my own intepretation of these values doesn't fit, otherwise the 32bit log shouldn't show '0 MB free'. But if you are right, it shouldn't show these value as well...I guess, I trusted these numbers too much^^

Thank you so much for your help. I stated that I had the 64bit version fully believeng that it was 64bit. But now you made it clear for me, that that might not be the case. I checked out the download file, and realized I have been running the 32bit version all along. 

I feel very stupid right now :blush:

33 minutes ago, erikths said:

I feel very stupid right now :blush:

If you read the rest of the thread, apparently nobody knows what's going on, so don't feel bad. 

Glad you got it to work.

So to clear it up, how much RAM do you have?  Nope, still don't know what is going on, saw your above post.   Sigh...

39 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

64bit:

Well this one makes sense. 

39 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

32bit:

This one does not.  As it's getting numbers bigger than it knows what to do with, it just gives funky results.   I think we can use this as a flag in the future.    Of course, the KSP.exe vs KSP64.exe bit might give it away a bit sooner. 

Edited by Gargamel

All your mods look like the correct version, so I don't know why you are getting a mono error....

I have a thread about frequent crashing here too. I solved it by copying xinput1_3.dll from my Windows/system32 folder to the KerbalSpaceProgram/KSP_x64_data/plugins folder. And renaming/deleting/moving the xinput1_3.dll already in there.

You can see if that helps if you are still crashing after switching to running KSP_x64.exe....

I couldn't tell from reading if you solved this or not....I'm confused by the posts in this thread....lol.

• 4 months later...

Can't make heads or tails of it. So just some desperate ideas: Do you have at least 4GB of RAM? Is the GPU driver up to date?

You might want to open a new thead to get more people than me to notice you.

Edited by Harry Rhodan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.