Need a part modeled

Hi,

I need a part modeled which looks like a safe,something like the following pictures.  No need for the config file, I can do that along with the attachment node.

Anybody able to do this?

The size in the game will be about 1mx1mx1m.

Thanks in advance

Edit:

I'd like the door to open, and if possible the wheel to turn first.  

This is to be used in a geocaching mod I'm writing. This will be the actual geocache part, and the way it's going to work is that in order to get the info, they will have to get to the part and open it (possibly while on EVA)

LGG

bank-safe-3d-render-of-a-bank-safe-stock or safe.jpg or gray-safe.jpg

Edited by linuxgurugamer

That is untextured yes, just a matcap and AO, to bring out the shape. Have you given any thought as to what it might look like inside the box? Like, is it just a black hole, or is there a room there, possibly with some kind of object in it? Also, I'm assuming I will do the work in Unity as well, so you get a .mu with a texture, ready to go in game? As for the texture I am envisioning something akin to the Probodyne probe cores, does that sound about right?

Edited by neistridlar

Well, I did a little more work on the model, and did an animation on it. It is UV-unwrap-ed as well, an had an AO-bake on it, though it needs some more clean up. I went with 4 spokes on the wheel instead of 5 because it allowed me to squeeze it all in to a 512x512 texture. It does not come across too well in the GIF, but at the start of the animation the little code wheel turns three times, as if unlocking/locking it.

ComplexOldGnatcatcher-max-1mb.gif

And here is the .mu .png texture and a minimum effort .cfg for the work so far, so you can see if it is going to work for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnw10v15bimutv2/LGG.zip?dl=0

1 hour ago, neistridlar said:

Well, I did a little more work on the model, and did an animation on it. It is UV-unwrap-ed as well, an had an AO-bake on it, though it needs some more clean up. I went with 4 spokes on the wheel instead of 5 because it allowed me to squeeze it all in to a 512x512 texture. It does not come across too well in the GIF, but at the start of the animation the little code wheel turns three times, as if unlocking/locking it.

ComplexOldGnatcatcher-max-1mb.gif

And here is the .mu .png texture and a minimum effort .cfg for the work so far, so you can see if it is going to work for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnw10v15bimutv2/LGG.zip?dl=0

Amazing, I'll be looking at it on my stream this evening

10 hours ago, neistridlar said:

That is untextured yes, just a matcap and AO, to bring out the shape. Have you given any thought as to what it might look like inside the box? Like, is it just a black hole, or is there a room there, possibly with some kind of object in it? Also, I'm assuming I will do the work in Unity as well, so you get a .mu with a texture, ready to go in game? As for the texture I am envisioning something akin to the Probodyne probe cores, does that sound about right?

Inside, it could be a darker grey, perhaps with a shelf in it.

Is it hollow?  In other words, could something be put inside it?

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Amazing, I'll be looking at it on my stream this evening

Inside, it could be a darker grey, perhaps with a shelf in it.

Is it hollow?  In other words, could something be put inside it?

The visual model is hollow, so you can definitively put stuff inside of it. I could make the colliers hollow as well, so it could be used as a cargo-bay if you wish.

And here is a shelf:

tSXAiET.png

Just now, neistridlar said:

The visual model is hollow, so you can definitively put stuff inside of it. I could make the colliers hollow as well, so it could be used as a cargo-bay if you wish.

And here is a shelf:

Looks good.

Please make the colliders hollow, I'm not sure of my final plans, but would be nice to have the option.

Can you make the shelf optional?  Or, just have two models, one with and one without the shelf

37 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can you make the shelf optional?  Or, just have two models, one with and one without the shelf

If you want baked ambient occlusion around the shelf, I'll need to up the texture size, but I can do that no problem (might have to do that to fit the shelf in at all actually). 

Also, Jebediah can now confirm that the collides are in fact hollow (should be updated in the Dropbox link as well).

gHn1HNJ.png

26 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

If you want baked ambient occlusion around the shelf, I'll need to up the texture size, but I can do that no problem (might have to do that to fit the shelf in at all actually). 

I have no idea what that means

But it looks really nice.  The shelf is very optional.

Could you get me the model by 7PM this evening (US Eastern, 4 hours from now)?  That's when I start streaming

Doesn't have to be finished

Edited by linuxgurugamer

16 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have no idea what that means

Ambient occlusion is a method for faking lighting by "painting" in shadows in the crevices. It makes it look like stuff is actually stuck together, rather than just cut and pasted on top of each other. But it will look weird if there is shadows when the shelf is not there, or no shadows when the shelf is there. So, the walls inside will need to have one texture with and one without the shelf for it to look optimal.

On closer inspection I will have to increase the size of the texture regardless to fit in a shelf, and it is easy enough to do at a later date if need be. Also the texture is small anyways, so I guess I'm making a storm in a teacup here.

WIP model ready to put in game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnw10v15bimutv2/LGG.zip?dl=0 No shelf, but hollow colliders and a config that I stole from one of my other parts. If you want more, like the source files for the model, and the unity stuff I can post that as well.

I'll take a shot at putting some actual texture in the texture now, not just fake shadow. If I have anything worth showing before your stream I will update the files, otherwise I'll just go to sleep (CET here).

1 minute ago, neistridlar said:

Ambient occlusion is a method for faking lighting by "painting" in shadows in the crevices. It makes it look like stuff is actually stuck together, rather than just cut and pasted on top of each other. But it will look weird if there is shadows when the shelf is not there, or no shadows when the shelf is there. So, the walls inside will need to have one texture with and one without the shelf for it to look optimal.

On closer inspection I will have to increase the size of the texture regardless to fit in a shelf, and it is easy enough to do at a later date if need be. Also the texture is small anyways, so I guess I'm making a storm in a teacup here.

WIP model ready to put in game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnw10v15bimutv2/LGG.zip?dl=0 No shelf, but hollow colliders and a config that I stole from one of my other parts. If you want more, like the source files for the model, and the unity stuff I can post that as well.

I'll take a shot at putting some actual texture in the texture now, not just fake shadow. If I have anything worth showing before your stream I will update the files, otherwise I'll just go to sleep (CET here).

When complete it would be nice to include the all the files with the mod on github.

thank you for the model and the explanation

The part looks great thanks. 

Not being greedy, but it would be nice if another model could be made, something like a wall safe, which would be attachable in the VAB onto the side of a vessel.

Again, no Rush.  if you can't or don't want to that's fine, all I really wanted originally was one and you've done such a great job I thought you might be able to do another.

I spent some time today doing the textures properly. Now also with weathering, and secular (shiny bits). There are a few places where the seams are still visible, but I doubt anyone will spot them. 

Also changed the animation a tiny bit, so the code-wheel does not align perfectly with the vertical anymore. 

The files in the Dropbox link has been updated to the newest version. You need to remove the old models and texture, but you can keep the configs.

JSdOR09.png

14 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not being greedy, but it would be nice if another model could be made, something like a wall safe, which would be attachable in the VAB onto the side of a vessel.

I could probably do that. Could you be more specific in how you envision the design and use case? Like, does it conform to the curve of the vessel, and does embed into the part (If it does, said wall will obviously clip into the interior).

Something like this

burton-safes-dk-wall-safe-size-4e-p966-9

Essentially the door would be flush with the surface, and obviously would intrude into the part, like the way the ladders do.

Flat is fine, if you do curved I could use those as well.

Size should be smaller than the safe,, probably no more than 1/2 m in the widest.

I assume that when an embedded part is open, the surface of the attached part still shows? If so, then it would have to stick out a little so you can show the inside when it opens.

Yeah, the part would end up looking something like this when placed on the surface (without door). The red is a 1.25m cylinder and the box is 0.5m wide

KJC5IHu.png

uXBI6d9.png

it might be possible to do some shenanigans with an IVA overlay, since those are composited on top of the normal scene, but you would not be able to simply stick something in the part, it would have to be rendered in the IVA to be visible.

5 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

I don't want to commit to doing more before I have finished the little one (mostly so I don't make promises I can't hold), but I'd be interested in knowing what it is at least.

Ok.

The mod is going to have something called a Travelbug, which will be recording the various locations.  It will be added to a vessel in the VAB, will be on the outside of the vessel, and will have to have selected a specific collection before launch.

My idea is that if they launch without selecting a collection, then the legs will extend out, lift the bug from the vessel and jump off.

I have no real ideas, but here is something I found which shows a travelbug.  Size would be maybe 1/3 m in it's longest direction

2118_0.jpg

The travel bug sounds like a more challenging part to animate. Do you envision this as an organic type of thing, or is it mechanical?

And some progress on the small vault: 

vuFLgd0.png

The main body is 0.625x0.468x0.20m, but that can change of course. Useful depth inside is just a little more than 0.1m I think.

On 9/21/2018 at 5:39 PM, neistridlar said:

The travel bug sounds like a more challenging part to animate. Do you envision this as an organic type of thing, or is it mechanical

Mechanical.

My idea was that all that would happen is that the legs would extend and push down

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.