Jump to content

[x.x.x] Space Shuttle in development


Recommended Posts

I also made a tiny patch to allow use of the KermanTech IVA with this shuttle.  It's not a perfect alignment inside, but the instruments work--which are the important bits.

You'll want to replace the default ...\GameData\ASET\ASET_Props\Instruments\ASET_IMP\map_kerbin_sat.png with this if you want the nav-ball to be Earth.

 

@PART[ShuttleCabin]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor]
{
	MODULE,0
	{
		name = RasterPropMonitorComputer
	}
	%INTERNAL[css_cockpit]
	{
		%name = MK3_adv_Int
	}
}

 

Edited by slaintemaith
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2021 at 11:13 PM, slaintemaith said:

Finally getting around to testing this.  Tried copying/pasting but even using Notepad++ looks like I'll have to do it manually.

...which I'm trying now.  

Either way--thank you very much for taking the time to post this.  I wonder if your changes couldn't be incorporated into RSS/RO and the latest version of this on the Github?

Sorry I was late for respond your reply, i dont have account on github do I'm not sure if this can be combined with the rss / ro update on github.

 

On 3/25/2021 at 11:35 PM, slaintemaith said:

So my engines are still burning up.
I think there's a disconnect  with Deadly Reentry regarding the engines as well, as shown below.
The DR debug values appear far lower than they should be.  The same DR numbers appear for the OMS engines as well.
I'm not sure where DR keeps its data to modify.  (See Second image)

This is strange, that ds temp should also follow the ro patch settings. I chake mine, and everything seems normal
 

Spoiler

ufeG5PP.png

q0yKNvw.png

 

On 3/26/2021 at 12:21 AM, slaintemaith said:

In other news, I've got some good MechJeb Ascent numbers if anyone wants an easy, fairly realistic Shuttle launch.
This will put you into the almost orbit the shuttle is in after SSME shutdown.  This ensures the ET doesn't follow you around and become space junk.
You use OMS to circularize at apogee.
The "Attach Altitude" function will put you on the "going uphill" part of the orbit, just past RSS's demarkation for space.
"Drop Solids Early" gets the boosters away at as close to 10% rated thrust as I can manage.
Also simulated is the throttle down used to relieve the stress of the pressure at Max Q.
Orbit inc. is subject to change for whatever your mission requires.

thanks for sharing. I did the same too, I decouple my orange tank before my shuttle touch the apoapsis, and i start using oms engine to adjust my periapsis

 

  

On 3/26/2021 at 2:54 AM, slaintemaith said:

I give up on getting this to work.
I'd rather get a root canal than mess around with another .cfg.

Kudos to anyone who can stand it.

i'll upload my configuration if you want @slaintemaith, like  my deadlyrentry folder, spaceshuttle, etc 

Edited by CaturLifeLive
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since then I uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch and edited stuff more precisely to make it work.
I also made some procedural control surfaces for the speedbrakes so they actually do something instead of be a useless animation.
I've been pretty good about getting to/near KSC for landings--and that's just by 'winging it' as it were and deorbiting somewhere over Australia, or roughly that far away at least.
I can even get it to do quite a bit of cross-range during reentry in case I don't line up exactly.
Some folks on YouTube have videos showing kOS programs that can deorbit and reenter this shuttle automatically.

I'm not that intelligent.

Thanks CaturLifeLive for all the help!

Edited by slaintemaith
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2021 at 12:12 AM, slaintemaith said:

Does anyone have any specific documentation on how to re-enter and land back at KSC using RSS/RO?  A video tutorial perhaps?

This shuttle seems to go into a death-spin on re-entry, and I've only seen Raiz Space manage to land--only I have no idea how he's configured his shuttle--his files have missing parts, or he's altered them post-video and not explained how.  Which is fine, I guess that's not his job, but his videos don't help very much.

That's not even mentioning burning up due to Deadly Re-entry.  I have to either disable that or enable the heat cheat.

In other news, MechJeb's PVG can lob this thing into a perfect almost-orbit now.  (Guessing that's Lamont's work)



 

 

Does this installation tutorial also work in 1.10.1?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 6:44 PM, Messeno said:

Does this installation tutorial also work in 1.10.1?

It might.
But I'm skeptical of (no offense to those who made it) the maturity of 1.10.1 RSS/RO.  I know it works in 1.8.1.
 

Edited by slaintemaith
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using 1.11.1 and RSS/RO works fine so long as you have the latest versions of does. Also the latest BE Kopernicus. The only thing I've found you need to do if you have ROEngines installed is to get rid of the patch manager configs for the RS-25 and the AJ10-190. If you don't, the space shuttles SSME and OMS engines will be hidden in game.

I would like to try and get the shuttles docking system working correctly as 'control from here's doesn't work correctly for it and isn't recognized as a docking port, even though it has a Module docking port config.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, a few pages back I read your discussions on how to pilot this Space Shuttle during reentry and landing.
I have spent several months on perfecting a kOS script that can automate most of the work and achieve an accurate and controlled reentry in RSS/Realism Overhaul

If you're interested you can have a look at https://github.com/giuliodondi/kOS-ShuttleEntrySim and this demonstration video I made:

 

 

Edited by Dolin
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dolin said:

If you're interested you can have a look at https://github.com/giuliodondi/kOS-ShuttleEntrySim and this demonstration video I made:

Impressive!  I'm a follower of your YouTube Channel.  =)
I have an issue where the airbrakes not deploying automatically--they're the stock ones attached to the engine bay--but I can live with having to tap airbrakes manually.  =)
This is quite the achievement! 
Thank you for releasing this!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dolin said:

Hi, a few pages back I read your discussions on how to pilot this Space Shuttle during reentry and landing.
I have spent several months on perfecting a kOS script that can automate most of the work and achieve an accurate and controlled reentry in RSS/Realism Overhaul

If you're interested you can have a look at https://github.com/giuliodondi/kOS-ShuttleEntrySim and this demonstration video I made:

 

 

Awesome, i’ll try it asap. Thank you..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 12:17 AM, Dolin said:

Hi, a few pages back I read your discussions on how to pilot this Space Shuttle during reentry and landing.
I have spent several months on perfecting a kOS script that can automate most of the work and achieve an accurate and controlled reentry in RSS/Realism Overhaul

If you're interested you can have a look at https://github.com/giuliodondi/kOS-ShuttleEntrySim and this demonstration video I made:

 

 

this KOS script helped me loads in getting the shuttle to re-enter. However controlling the shuttle on approach can be an absolute nightmare and just wants to spin out constantly. do you have any tips to control it with it wanting to kamikaze?

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, si2504 said:

this KOS script helped me loads in getting the shuttle to re-enter. However controlling the shuttle on approach can be an absolute nightmare and just wants to spin out constantly. do you have any tips to control it with it wanting to kamikaze?

Are you not touching the controls until you're below 25k?
(I also find Atmosphere Autopilot helps quite a bit)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slaintemaith said:

Are you not touching the controls until you're below 25k?
(I also find Atmosphere Autopilot helps quite a bit)

not switching to approach until about 20k or there abouts. i do have AA installed but all the GUI menus are quite confusing....and I'm a bit unsure which mode to have it in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You want it in fly-by-wire, with moderation and coordinated turn modes on.

My issues are the speed brakes at the moment.  I can control it just fine, I just can't slow it down.  =)

Well, I'm also having issues with every part of the shuttle exploding individually and simultaneously from overheating when coming out of time acceleration.  But that's neither here nor there...

Edited by slaintemaith
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slaintemaith said:

Well, I'm also having issues with every part of the shuttle exploding individually and simultaneously from overheating when coming out of time acceleration.  But that's neither here nor there...

I too have that issue. seems to be if I warp anything over 4x speed. I did wonder if it was anything to do with the fuslage wall heat penetration because it rises, then when you warp and then slow back down to normal speed, the temp suddenly drops back down and then starts to climb again, as though whilst its in warp, it doesn't cool down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, si2504 said:

I too have that issue. seems to be if I warp anything over 4x speed. I did wonder if it was anything to do with the fuslage wall heat penetration because it rises, then when you warp and then slow back down to normal speed, the temp suddenly drops back down and then starts to climb again, as though whilst its in warp, it doesn't cool down.

I wouldn't pretend to know.  Only that it doesn't happen with other spacecraft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, si2504 said:

this KOS script helped me loads in getting the shuttle to re-enter. However controlling the shuttle on approach can be an absolute nightmare and just wants to spin out constantly. do you have any tips to control it with it wanting to kamikaze?

I have no trouble controlling the Shuttle manually without Atmospheric Autopilot so there must be something amiss.
Are you sure you're reentering with OMS fuel nearly depleted? Did you set the control surface deflections to the values in the README? Are you sure you're not using the airbrakes wrong and stalling out?

Edited by Dolin
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dolin said:

I have no trouble controlling the Shuttle manually without Atmospheric Autopilot so there must be something amiss.
Are you sure you're reentering with OMS fuel nearly depleted? Did you set the control surface deflections to the values in the README? Are you sure you're not using the airbrakes wrong and stalling out?

could you point me in the direction of the Readme you are referring to please.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 1:04 PM, si2504 said:

I too have that issue. seems to be if I warp anything over 4x speed. I did wonder if it was anything to do with the fuslage wall heat penetration because it rises, then when you warp and then slow back down to normal speed, the temp suddenly drops back down and then starts to climb again, as though whilst its in warp, it doesn't cool down.

My exploding shuttle had to do with the latest version of RealFuels.  If you find your ships are spontaneously exploding coming down from 10000x to 100x time aceleration, try reverting your RealFuels to the penultimate version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

My exploding shuttle had to do with the latest version of RealFuels.  If you find your ships are spontaneously exploding coming down from 10000x to 100x time aceleration, try reverting your RealFuels to the penultimate version.

great. will try it thanks. when you say the penultimate version, do you mean the last official release v12.8.5 or the last mini release that was v12.9.0 before the latest of 12.9.0.1?

1 hour ago, Dolin said:

It's right in the front page of the Git repository.  https://github.com/giuliodondi/kOS-ShuttleEntrySim

ah right my bad, cheers.

Edited by si2504
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2021 at 4:04 PM, si2504 said:

when you say the penultimate version, do you mean the last official release v12.8.5 or the last mini release that was v12.9.0 before the latest of 12.9.0.1?

 

v.12.8.5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...