Is it possible to deflate the 10m Heat Shield?

First post here. 

Question is above. I've tried installing mods to give me the option but none are updated to 1.4.5 and they don't work. Is there a way to tweak the config files? From what I've seen, there used to be a way, but the newer updates patched it off. My interplanetary ship is begging for a reusable heat shield.

Welcome to the forums.

There's no way in stock to do it. I don't know anything about mods. The only thing I know you can do is to edit your persistent file by hand.

Edited by bewing

@Spazmatastical

The "Mod is Outdated" popup can usually be safely ignored. It does matter in some more complex mods, but not in a simple little patch like this, and not with a small version change like 1.4.2-1.4.5.

As far as the patch itself goes, make sure that you have ModuleManager installed. Otherwise, any ".cfg" patches won't work.

Alternatively, you could change the "disableAfterPlaying" attribute to false in the part's config file, located at: GameData/Squad/Aero/InflatableHeatShield/HeatShield.cfg.

Enjoy!

17 hours ago, Kryxal said:

If you think about it, it makes sense ... after all, it's not like the heat shield is a balloon, it's probably filled with an ablative foam made on the spot.

hmmm..interesting point that I hadn't thought of before. Makes a lot more sense to use a rapid hardening ablative foam than just helium or nitrogen.  :) 

Maybe make the ability to deflate a higher tech version. Wouldn't be hard to make up a MK2 version in a higher tech tier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.