Sign in to follow this  
OHara

Hiding DLC Parts

I reinstalled the Making History expansion so I can try other people's crafts, from kerbalx and these forums, in a sandbox save.  
Of course I do not want to use the DLC parts in career mode, or challenges or anything I put on kerbalx, so I installed the mod Janitor's Closet just for this and am learning about its blocklists.

Is there a simpler way ?

• Like 1

Just curious, why do you not want to use MH in your career save?  I'm not seeing how it "Of Course" applies to that. 

You could probably just run two separate installs, one with MH installed and one without.

• Like 1

Good point.  Somehow I got the idea into my head that Making History parts were for just for re-creations in sandbox mode.
There is some basis for that idea.  Starting a new career, I see the draggy KV-1 Onion pod that is hard to launch with just basic fins, then I wonder should I use the overpowered Wolfhound or Tyko's re-balance patch, and then I don't want the clutter of the many M.H. structural parts whenever I'm building in my main save.  
So not everyone will want to hide M.H. "of course" in career mode, but right now I do.

"How to have different mods in separate saves" is an old question. Separate installs works.  With one install, moving the directory SquadExpansion from KSP/GameData/ to a KSP/hiddenGameData/, and back, works after restarting KSP.  Hiding parts with Module Manager works best for me.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODEL:HAS[#model[SquadExpansion*]]] {
    %category = none // hide in default view in VAB
//  @TechRequired = nanolathing // hide until end of Career or Science
//  @TechRequired = Unresearcheable //(KSP's spelling) hide completely
}

I want to be playing the same KSP as mostly everyone else.  Right now for me that means being able to load other's crafts with or without DLC parts, without using them myself.

Edited by OHara
'category = none' hides the parts from the type-in search function; so to remove clutter, simply delete 'category' -- oops, deleting 'category' puts parts in fuel-tanks, back to 'none'
  • Like 2

Some MH parts are definitely OP. If you intend to do any challenges most offer more kudus for going 100% stock without MH. As stated earlier, two separate installs would probably be the easiest way to go.