Eve - Rover jump as raven horse after repair wheel

While I can reproduce this problem (repeatedly!) with an add-on suite that moves the KSC to Eve, I get the same behaviour as pepa3rd regarding rovers bouncing on Eve in 1.6 and not bouncing in 1.5.1.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Spelling

@pepa3rd I was able to reproduce the problem in Stock from the KSC runway with the Hack Gravity cheat, and setting gravity to 1.68. I couldn't get 1.70 for some reason.

While your Eve rover is in a bouncy state, check the Spring / Damper setting on all of your wheels, even the broken ones. Change Spring / Damper to Override and inspect the Damper Strength value; it might have been cranked to almost 3.0. Reduce all of the wheel Damper Strength values to 1.0, send your engineer to repair the wheels, and see what happens.

I find that any damper value greater than 1.2 will cause a noticeable shake. Even 1.2 will cause a slight tremor.

Give the World Stabilizer mod a try. It saved my lightweight probes on Minmus and the Mun.

18 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I find that any damper value greater than 1.2 will cause a noticeable shake. Even 1.2 will cause a slight tremor.

I guess wheels are different from legs. I find I have to ramp up damping and spring all the way to 3 for anything on the retractable landing legs, like the top stage of the Kerbal X and my probes that are a core & 3 micro legs.

Edited by GeneCash

On 1/8/2019 at 2:46 AM, Gordon Fecyk said:

@pepa3rd I was able to reproduce the problem in Stock from the KSC runway with the Hack Gravity cheat, and setting gravity to 1.68. I couldn't get 1.70 for some reason.

While your Eve rover is in a bouncy state, check the Spring / Damper setting on all of your wheels, even the broken ones. Change Spring / Damper to Override and inspect the Damper Strength value; it might have been cranked to almost 3.0. Reduce all of the wheel Damper Strength values to 1.0, send your engineer to repair the wheels, and see what happens.

Thank you for your help.
I'll try it. I find that when I leave some wheels destroyed, the rover does not jump and the other wheels are working. (Rover with 8 wheels.)

@Gordon Fecyk I dont known how check/change the Spring / Damper setting on the wheels in the game. In the editor I dont see it (). Wheel stress is around 0 - 0.2 (Rover on the Eve).

But ... When I edit file roverWheelTR-2L.cfg and change parameter springRatio from 7 to 1, then rover on the Eve don't jumps and after repair wheels works! :)

19 hours ago, pepa3rd said:

I dont known how check/change the Spring / Damper setting on the wheels in the game

You can right-click on most parts on active craft, including the wheels, to bring up a context menu for that part. The same way you repair wheels by right-clicking on them. But when your craft with the wheels is the craft you're controlling you have additional options.

3 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

You can right-click on most parts on active craft, including the wheels, to bring up a context menu for that part. The same way you repair wheels by right-clicking on them. But when your craft with the wheels is the craft you're controlling you have additional options.

I know it :), but I have to "advenced tweakables" turn on in setup for change this feature.

I found out, that ... patch 1.6.1 fix this bug :).

Thank you for your help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.