Non Squad content on game screenshots

TiktaalikDreaming

This regards the game's main website, in the media section. The section entitled Screenshots for a game would normally contain just content from the base game plus dlc. But it's rife with non Squad content aka mods.

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/media/

I have two concerns. Unless I'm mistaken (and on legal matters, that's entirely likely), this opens squad to false advertising for law suits, and I'd prefer if that doesn't happen.

And, from a purely selfish point of view, the screen shot of my mod is horribly outdated and a bit embarrassing. So, if squad's legal posterior is covered, I'd like to get that screenshot replaced with a newer one.

Edit: just to clarify, this is not a concern over squad using anyone's work without permission, but representing the game to the public, as if those components are part of what's being sold.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

Not to mention, a lot of the screenshots contain old part textures that have since been replaced, notably: the Mk 1-2 command pod, the Terrier, the fuel tank textures, and the really old jet engines/intakes. Plus, the screenshots that use graphics mods (EVE, Scatterer, even Real Plume in one case) will give prospective players a false idea of the game's graphical capabilities (or lack thereof).

Then again, I'm not sure how many people actually look at these screenshots, so it's probably not going to be super high on Squad's priority list.

Could you point out the parts that are not created by SQUAD? I had a glance and the only one from the in-game shots that stood out as not stock is this one. And I don't know part packs very well so I am no expert, but I've never seen them anywhere else either so for all I know Squad DID make them, but decided to not use them.

I agree on the Scatterer et al front. Be proud of your base game or make it better yourself.

pasted-image-0-24.jpg

Edited by 5thHorseman

27 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Could you point out the parts that are not created by SQUAD? I had a glance and the only one from the in-game shots that stood out as not stock is this one. And I don't know part packs very well so I am no expert, but I've never seen them anywhere else either so for all I know Squad DID make them, but decided to not use them.

I agree on the Scatterer et al front. Be proud of your base game or make it better yourself.

pasted-image-0-24.jpg

That whole craft is basically the mod, 

I'm not going to worry too much about the fact the visor has some serious reflections going on there.  The craft, is quite distinct, and there's been attempts to make it with stock parts, and that never looks right.  I can say the version used is from before I did my art pass, and so is pre-November 2017

I think (but considering how many mods did the Saturn, I'm not 100% certain) that the image two after that is BDB parts.  I am pretty sure it's using scatterer or something that's a lot like it.  It's a gorgeous shot though.

7 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Not to mention, a lot of the screenshots contain old part textures that have since been replaced, notably: the Mk 1-2 command pod, the Terrier, the fuel tank textures, and the really old jet engines/intakes. Plus, the screenshots that use graphics mods (EVE, Scatterer, even Real Plume in one case) will give prospective players a false idea of the game's graphical capabilities (or lack thereof).

Then again, I'm not sure how many people actually look at these screenshots, so it's probably not going to be super high on Squad's priority list.

The old parts are basically at the level of concern I have for my mod being the old one.  They've updated it, why aren't they advertising the updated things?  It doesn't open them up to legal action though.  That is, I don't think anyone could sensibly sue them for damages.  That would be a stretch and a giant waste of money to pay the court costs for a copy of a game.  I'm kinda wondering what happens when someone complains to (looking at them European countries with them fancy pants consumer protection laws) some country's statutory body for chasing down false advertising.  

I don't want to see KSP disappear, and I don't want squad to pay fines somewhere, just because some marketing person trawled the forums/social media for screenshots without knowing what they were looking at.  All it needs is switching out for stock game images, or a note at the top that "some images contain freely available modifications to the base game".  Or something to that effect.

It looks like they cleaned up the website and removed modded screeenshots. The old site: https://web.archive.org/web/20181229145213/https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/en/

It used Modular Rocket System parts as the backgrounds for the blog posts, and the scatterer shots seemed to be using realplume too.

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

It looks like they cleaned up the website and removed modded screeenshots. The old site: https://web.archive.org/web/20181229145213/https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/en/

It used Modular Rocket System parts as the backgrounds for the blog posts, and the scatterer shots seemed to be using realplume too.

Nice.

I think in particular, console buyers probably had a valid (potential) complaint. But that is all tidied up, and has a pretty good variety of images as well.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.