Rescued Kerbals' Parachutes

To save money for hiring, I took a lot of rescue missions. Usually the kerbals are took back to their home planet via a cheep SSTO launch, however, sometimes I also try using tiny ships and space debris to do the job, like these:

51448650-fbcc9500-1d62-11e9-8d1a-32988e5

51448689-30405100-1d63-11e9-945d-3d03496

(The first image is a ship to save someone in high orbit, and the second one is a used second stage rocket with a few ticks of fuel left)

However, I got an issue. While all the kerbalnauts launched by myself own parachutes, some of the rescued ones, in contrast, doesn't have the equipment. I don't like chutes installed on the rescue vehicles, for they are likely to be too cheap to be useful for recovering, and no science are contained within them. Besides, they increased the dead mess of the ship. Although the absence of chutes isn't really a critical point (They can survive impact ~75m/s with proper material explode beneath them), I still prefer a smoother landing. Some rescued ones definitely had something to slow themself, though

51448745-9c22b980-1d63-11e9-8659-afd30b0

So,

1. Does anyone know why some rescued kerbals don't have parachutes?

2. Any ideas for the future mission of this kind?

Edited by virtualizerocket
correct spelling

21 minutes ago, virtualizerocket said:

1. Does anyone know why some rescued kerbals don't have parachutes?

Hi.

I don't know.

But it sounds like someone made a copy paste mistake.

I would hazard a guess that the routine that randomly create the new Kerbal isn't one process (And one of them as a few lines missing).

IE it When the "Parts" of a Kerbal are written to file there probably a routine for pilots one for engineers and one for scientist. Maybe sex.

Can you pay attention to which kind of Kerbals have or not a chute?

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Moving to Gameplay Questions.

57 minutes ago, virtualizerocket said:

Does anyone know why some rescued kerbals don't have parachutes?

I believe it's because of level.  Rescued kerbals are all level zero, which means they don't get the chutes.

I think the level requirement for EVA chutes is lower for pilots than for other kerbals-- I wanna say, level 1 for pilots and 2 for other kerbals?  Or maybe it was zero for pilots and 1 for other kerbals?

The reason I'm so vague on this is because I'm not in front of my KSP computer right now, and I almost never use the EVA chutes myself, because years of playing KSP (in the days before EVA chutes were a thing) trained me to build ships that, well, land rather than crashing, so bailing out is just never a necessity for me.

The only scenario where I've thought EVA chutes might be handy is the minimalist orbital rescue vehicle-- basically, exactly the mission you describe.  Since that doesn't work, due to the rescuees not having chutes (as you've discovered), that removes pretty much my sole potential use case for EVA chutes.

12 hours ago, Snark said:

Moving to Gameplay Questions.

I believe it's because of level.  Rescued kerbals are all level zero, which means they don't get the chutes.

I think the level requirement for EVA chutes is lower for pilots than for other kerbals-- I wanna say, level 1 for pilots and 2 for other kerbals?  Or maybe it was zero for pilots and 1 for other kerbals?

The reason I'm so vague on this is because I'm not in front of my KSP computer right now, and I almost never use the EVA chutes myself, because years of playing KSP (in the days before EVA chutes were a thing) trained me to build ships that, well, land rather than crashing, so bailing out is just never a necessity for me.

The only scenario where I've thought EVA chutes might be handy is the minimalist orbital rescue vehicle-- basically, exactly the mission you describe.  Since that doesn't work, due to the rescuees not having chutes (as you've discovered), that removes pretty much my sole potential use case for EVA chutes.

Hi.

The OP @virtualizerocket Mentioned some of them do and some of them don't. So I went reading as I know not anything. Like you I didn't have them plus am just returning to this game.

KSP wiki: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/EVA_Parachute

The EVA Parachute (also known as Personal Parachute) is a paraglider-type chute that can be deployed on all Kerbals if they are level 2.

In career mode your kerbal must be at least level 3 to use this feature. (NB: this is no longer true; in version 1.6.1 and possibly earlier, level 2 Kerbals have chutes.)

So you seem right but I still don't know what is going on....I might play with that. I love a mystery.

ME

@virtualizerocket I have created and played in a new career (1.6) and I have your answer.

When EVAed Jeb on the launch pad at experience 0 (Zero) he has a chute. When I upgraded to be able to EVA I jumped out in flight and his personal chute works.

When Bob EVAed on the pad he doesn't have a chute on his back.

So pilots can always bailout others need experience. From the Wiki that would be level 2. Not tested.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.