[WIP][1.6.X] ArchaeSP: Ancient parts remade

Consta

Hi, I've started work on a collection of parts that are remakes of the really, really old parts that existed from around 0.7-0.13 or something, as well as recreating some of their functionality.

E8BqEg2.png

More images of the current parts made.

Current parts and features done:

Spoiler

• LFO fuel tanks and additional varients
  • Advanced SAS module
  • Partmodule that creates an ADV. SAS stage icon and an SAS Force meter when SAS is active

Current Release

GitHub page with source and plans

Things I need help with:

Spoiler
  • Getting active vessels heading (Used with the ASAS module. Will take the current craft heading and attempt to hold that heading, similar to the pro/retrograde holds. Currently setting a heading works, but I don't know how to get the craft's actual heading.
  • Getting the collective force exerted by all RCS jets on a craft (Used for an equivalent meter to SAS Force, probably called RCS Force. Never actually existed but would be a fun visual)
  • Options on right clicking a part. (I haven't really found any info on that myself yet, I plan on adding a toggle for the SAS force meter and staging icons for parts so uh, I think this is kinda a necessary one to know.)
  • Old MK3 part models and current MK2 and MK3 models (I need shape references for both, and the old MK3 to get inspiration... From trash admittedly, but then again that's what this entire mod is.)
  • Part balancing: Idk how exactly to make some of these parts distinct enough from existing stock parts to make them useful enough. I've started to get an idea for this with the ASAS module, but for say, the RCS jets or parachute, I'm not sure.

Next part on my hit-list: Old stack decoupler (I love the look of these things, despite their tall stature. I plan on having a 1/2-1/4th height variant that looks like the recently depreciated 1m stack decoupler, as well as a stack separator version)

Feedback on the current models and textures I've made would be great. I'm trying to teach myself texture making because I've felt I've relied on procedural textures as a crutch for too long, so anything I could do in that dept. would be greatly appreciated.

(Also terribly sorry this post is ugly, I haven't used this forum interface before, or really made a release page in general.)

• 8 months later...

You could do variants where the models look old but they use more modern color pallets, like those from ReStock. For instance, the yellow here is quite ugly, but a *slightly* oranger yellow might look better, or one without the black stripes perhaps. And the bluish grays could be replaced with white, perhaps. Just as variants of course, that classic old color scheme is iconic.

Also the version of the ancient tanks that had the thick lips on the end didn't have the ability to be radially mounted. They were remodeled to be more cylindrical when the radial mount capability was added.

It's funny, though, because I remember when 0.18 was coming out and the first part revamps were being done, I was so excited because they had revamped the SRB and it looked great, but still looked like the original part. When I downloaded the update I was disappointed to see that the tanks had been completely redesigned. Now of course it didn't take long to get over that, I am soooo glad the art style went in a more realistic direction (it paved the way for porkalike styles including the amazing ReStock, and just generally allowed for better stock replicas of real crafts, which are more often painted white than cool gray). That said, these parts represent a strange and interesting "what if" to satisfy that middle schooler's craving. I look forward to seeing more (even if I never actually download it it's still really interesting to see), and I'm sorry @Consta your thread never got any attention when it was new.

On 10/29/2019 at 3:01 PM, GregroxMun said:

You could do variants where the models look old but they use more modern color pallets, like those from ReStock. For instance, the yellow here is quite ugly, but a *slightly* oranger yellow might look better, or one without the black stripes perhaps. And the bluish grays could be replaced with white, perhaps. Just as variants of course, that classic old color scheme is iconic.

Also the version of the ancient tanks that had the thick lips on the end didn't have the ability to be radially mounted. They were remodeled to be more cylindrical when the radial mount capability was added.

It's funny, though, because I remember when 0.18 was coming out and the first part revamps were being done, I was so excited because they had revamped the SRB and it looked great, but still looked like the original part. When I downloaded the update I was disappointed to see that the tanks had been completely redesigned. Now of course it didn't take long to get over that, I am soooo glad the art style went in a more realistic direction (it paved the way for porkalike styles including the amazing ReStock, and just generally allowed for better stock replicas of real crafts, which are more often painted white than cool gray). That said, these parts represent a strange and interesting "what if" to satisfy that middle schooler's craving. I look forward to seeing more (even if I never actually download it it's still really interesting to see), and I'm sorry @Consta your thread never got any attention when it was new.

I like the idea of reimagining the old parts with textures and models that weren't made a decade ago. I think a mod did this once? But this sounds like a good idea nonetheless, and I hope this mod also expands to all the placeholder models and textures that were replaced in the Private Division period.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.