The space race (but literally)

1 hour ago, vyznev said:

Also, with over 12 hour burn times

I think you aren't factoring in that you are only using 2 RTGs for the deceleration. I got about 30 hours using the numbers in your screenshot, ignoring that the last part is under full power so it would be a bit less time.

I'm curious, how much does that ship way?

Edited by bayesian_acolyte

Ok... I've got a time, it's not the best as I got to Eeloo with at least a couple of kilometres spare delta-v, plus my navigation there was a bit haphazard. Plus I didn't launch at the idea time, which would have met Eeloo near its periapsis... can't remember why I did that.

So excuses over, my time was 229 days.

Here's the launch pic.

UXN4R0G.jpg

Then the landing.

Y3vUnsx.jpg

Hitting Eeloo when you're on an escape trajectory out of the system (so no closest approach markers to help out) is very tricky. There was a LOT of F5/F9 activity to get close to the target, but the end result was a fair amount of wasted fuel.

Here's a few pics from the journey, full album is here.

pJWFyHU.jpg

OuFJaQs.jpg

wCRctL8.jpg

zfvhxy4.jpg

YhQ5UQy.jpg

orAzdkA.jpg

MOja7Ko.jpg

qMux0uB.jpg

oKG5ENi.jpg

4 minutes ago, M_Rat13 said:

@purpleivan seems I need to get the leader board up. Even if you don't win, you've set the benchmark. Now people have something to truly aim for to beat. It'll also be interesting to see if people copy your design, or try to beat it with their own design.

Cool, top of the board... of one.

I think my vehicle has a much faster time in it, I'd guess somewhere between 175 and 200 days, if it was launched towards a closer part of Eeloo's orbit and my trajectory was better at the start. Possibly I'll give it another run sometime.

55 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

Cool, top of the board... of one.

I think my vehicle has a much faster time in it, I'd guess somewhere between 175 and 200 days, if it was launched towards a closer part of Eeloo's orbit and my trajectory was better at the start. Possibly I'll give it another run sometime.

I don't see why people can't do reruns. Makes it more competitive. I'll just have your fastest time on the leaderboard, if you do get a faster one.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:19 PM, Klapaucius said:

I did not know Soviet architecture was a basis for interplanetary rocket design.  Then again, it is Moscow State University and they are opening a new space science department.

The resemblance is uncanny.

1 hour ago, BlockGaming06 said:

Good idea but to make it more realistic you should make the challenge to race to the mun.

It was more meant as a joke. It's a literal space race because the main obstacle is the vastness of said space. You are literally racing across space. Am I making sense?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.