Parachutes not slowing craft down

I currently have a whole bunch of mods installed and have recently updated to 1.7.0 and my parachutes no longer work. When I deploy my chutes and set the full deploy altitude to max it seems fine at first. But when fully deployed they act like they’re not even there. The parachutes do nothing and I end up hitting the ground at ~160 m/s. Ps I don’t have realchutes installed. Any ideas?

9 hours ago, Podican said:

I don’t have realchutes installed. Any ideas?

Are the affected chutes from a mod or stock? Did you accidentally use a drogue chute instead of a "regular" one? Any other mod which would affect aerodynamics like FAR?

You can try to delete the "PartDatabase.cfg" from your KSP install directory and the "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" from the GameData folder. Both files will be recreated automatically on the next game launch and may fix the issue.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:08 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Are the affected chutes from a mod or stock? Did you accidentally use a drogue chute instead of a "regular" one? Any other mod which would affect aerodynamics like FAR?

You can try to delete the "PartDatabase.cfg" from your KSP install directory and the "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" from the GameData folder. Both files will be recreated automatically on the next game launch and may fix the issue.

The parachutes are the stock radial attach parachutes and not drouge chutes. I have FAR installed so that might be it. I’ll try deleting those two files you mentioned too though. 

6 hours ago, Podican said:

The parachutes are the stock radial attach parachutes and not drouge chutes. I have FAR installed so that might be it. I’ll try deleting those two files you mentioned too though. 

I have no experience with FAR but I know that FAR don't use drag cubes like the stock game. Since the stock parachutes are basically just big drag cubes, this might be the reason why they don't work for you. No idea if FAR actually changes the behaviour of the chutes though. If you still have issues, I would suggest to ask in the FAR thread, the people over there should know more details about it ;)

16 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I have no experience with FAR but I know that FAR don't use drag cubes like the stock game. Since the stock parachutes are basically just big drag cubes, this might be the reason why they don't work for you. No idea if FAR actually changes the behaviour of the chutes though. If you still have issues, I would suggest to ask in the FAR thread, the people over there should know more details about it ;)

I ended up deleting the two files you listed and reinstalling FAR and now it works! Thanks tho

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.