spacecraft recovery challenge

have your ascent stages been left on the surface of the planet or in orbit?

in this challenge, you recover all the parts of the spacecraft, no SSTO's (except the booster, that's on you) the closest to the ksc is the winner. bonus points if the lander holds more than five kerbals. NO MODS, except if it makes the gameplay harder

(do not land on the ksc buildings or you lose)

let's see some pictures

Edited by slav_king

Can we see some specific rules, first? Or no rules is fine too, just some idea of what you're actually asking us to do in this challenge would be nice.

What I mean is, KSP's physics model (and especially its limited range) isn't very conductive to booster recovery. I've done the Falcon Heavy challenge, and the worst part wasn't really landing all those boosters intact (although that was hard enough), it was arranging for them to all reach space and re-enter at different times, with enough time in between to land each one and switch to the next. Not to mention squeezing in some time in between to actually put the upper stage into a stable orbit.

(The easy and cheesy way to do it is to make a quicksave just before each stage separation, land the boosters while ignoring the payload, and then quickload and continue the main mission. But I'm not sure if you'd consider that cheating or not, since it doesn't actually result in a single save file with all boosters landed and the payload on its way.)

Some screenshots / video from an example mission would be nice, too. I mean, the forum rules do say you should complete your own challenges to show that they're possible, and in any case an example helps make it clearer what actually counts as a successful mission.

Edited by vyznev

You

1 hour ago, vyznev said:

(The easy and cheesy way to do it is to make a quicksave just before each stage separation, land the boosters while ignoring the payload, and then quickload and continue the main mission. But I'm not sure if you'd consider that cheating or not, since it doesn't actually result in a single save file with all boosters landed and the payload on its way.)

A better way would be to use FMRS

2 hours ago, slav_king said:

have your ascent stages been left on the surface of the planet or in orbit?

in this challenge, you recover all the parts of the spacecraft, no SSTO's (except the booster, that's on you) the closest to the ksc is the winner. bonus points if the lander holds more than five kerbals

(do not land on the ksc buildings or you lose)

let's see some pictures

Really should flesh this out a bit more.  Rules (for example, stock only, mods, etc).  Scoring system, and you are supposed to have an example to show that it's doable

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.