Starwind - Ended (due to the Kraken)

fulgur

Because of my incredible dedication to my readers, and also from having nothing to do...

sw5fadt.png

iGxxPJ5.png

CL9IzYb.png

1EWiqjV.png

7wKiEuV.png

1ZpMWjI.png

ojZf4I5.png

I'm going to call that mission a complete success, as far as prototypes go. Because I haven't unlocked AIRBRAKEs yet. Or even Whiplashes. So this is the lowest tech shuttle I've ever made.

Tune in next time for either a training mission to Minmus, or me sending a giant fuel tank to the Mun.

Edited by fulgur
tune in next time

Currently flying yet another Cynestol mission to get 850 points worth of :science: from munar samples & material bays so I can unlock Whiplashes. The Cynestol will be much improved when you see it next - the V2 will have Junos to assist landing and a Mk2 docking port. It will also be carried by Whiplashes which go so much faster than Panthers.

And maybe I will have a SSTO design up by then. I am attempting to milk Kerbin's SoI for :science: in the run-up to the Rald window.

(Rald is part of MIP, the planet pack which adds Eki. It is essentially a kerbaformed Mars, and Duna orbits it.)

Here are some pictures of the Cynestol landing on the Mun.

vaAdbRM.png

wU6VDkK.png

jdeYc6k.png

I got 550 science from those surface samples and the lab data, which means that I have upgraded R&D and unlocked whiplashes, and now I am so bankrupt, I used my Ambulo rover (the one with the tinfoil wheels which goes at 10m/s) to survey temperature on the Mun. I am now less bankrupt and am going to go to Minmus to rescue some kerbals and build a cheap space station.

Tune in next time for the establishment of a Minmus station, and/or the crewing of it with a pilot and two scientists using a SSTO design I am working on.

A SSTO has been designed, and it is going to Minmus to grab some science!QR4PaO5.png

iP1QZqN.png

e0Llqf1.png

I gathered 500 science from 2 biomes including Science Jr, Goo, Seismometer and Sample. (While I visited all biomes in the Taurus, that data went to my lab not to Kerbin).

So I unlocked Aerodynamics and Heavy Aerodynamics, and built myself a little cargo plane, with MkIV Spaceplanes' 2.5m ramjet. Now to fly a station to Minmus. And pick up a couple of rescues on the way back.

I attempted to make one with Panthers but it got stuck at 350m/s. It accelerates best at around 10km, and can reach over 1000m/s on jets. It does need some extra fuel as the only way I hit so many biomes was by rolling down the hill :-). The Steollan line will continue, and I hope to send a Steollan-Crew to Rald (being like Laythe but with less ocean).

Well, you can steal as many of my designs as you like as long as you don't mind the odd names. (SSTOs are now to be named in Old English.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Update! Due to the fact that I would like a bit more of a challenge now I have unlocked most of the stuff in the game, I am changing the config a little bit!

Science returns are now down by a lot, to 15-20%. I am also making all the probes heavier than they should be by installing DMagic Orbital Science, to make up for the decreased returns.

I have also installed the Bases and Stations contract pack, which is giving me some nice new contracts about space stations.

Rescues
Hilbree Kerman - Kerbin
Elizor Kerman - Minmus
Kavan Kerman - The Mun
Lencan Kerman - The Mun

Can be conducted by the Steollan-C (in development).

Landings
Plant Flag - The Mun
Surface Deployed Goo - The Mun
Surface Deployed Goo - Minmus

Can be conducted by the Steollan-S.

Tourism
1x Orbit - Kerbin

Can be conducted by the Steollan-C (in development).

Stations and Bases
Launch Station - The Mun
Launch Station - Minmus

Can be conducted by the Boldwela (in development).

Exploration
Fly-by - Rald
Scientific Data - Rald

Can be conducted by the Aeternus I probe (in development).

Gene Kerman's filing system is still in the realm of the pen and paper. One day he will update to .txt files.

The Aeternus I is designed to go to Rald, Duna and Ike. The Boldwela SSTO is designed to launch mk3 cargo using 2.5m turbojets from MkIV spaceplanes. Because rockets are awful.

Edited by fulgur

1 hour ago, fulgur said:

Well, you can steal as many of my designs as you like as long as you don't mind the odd names. (SSTOs are now to be named in Old English.)

Your names are better than mine :)

1 hour ago, fulgur said:

Because rockets are awful.

I'm the other way around on that.

I've wanted a new skybox for a while now, so I added it while making other fundamental changes in the universe.

fvVCFbP.png

You didn't think I would let the kerbals continue as normal, did you?

Oh, and Gesschosskopf: You're wrong about rockets.To misquote Cupcake: But can your rocket do this?

Tune in next time for the Boldwela I SSTO launching a Munstation to Munar orbit. (The Mun is the usual destination for Munstations, after all). And also the Boldwela I SSTO launching a Munstation to Munar orbit. Because the biggest module the Boldwela carries doesn't have space for 5 kerbals.

And also depending on how long I can play for, watch an engineer attempt to attach DMagic Orbital Science modules to my (rather outdated) munar lander with nothing but a drill. While in orbit.

Edited by fulgur
de magic orbital science!

Yes, engineers are able to view the persistence for craft and edit it when concerning Bugs. To avoid the Bill vs Evil Bill battles of Kerbfleet, they can only edit the Persistence when the Kraken indirectly allows them (viz., when a bug occurs.).

Also: DMagic Orbital Science Probe! In a new SSTO!

gFi9hV7.png

I think the Hafoc I (means Hawk) SSTO is pretty cool. It's going to LKO to drop off a science payload (that's the Stage 0 Engine) and a tourist in the passenger seat. It's also the first LKO SSTO, so it uses an aerospike and will be so much easier to fly.

Edited by fulgur
hawk

4 hours ago, fulgur said:

I think the Hafoc I (means Hawk) SSTO is pretty cool. It's going to LKO to drop off a science payload (that's the Stage 0 Engine) and a tourist in the passenger seat. It's also the first LKO SSTO, so it uses an aerospike and will be so much easier to fly.

Quite stylish!

Thanks Gesschosskopf! I have just found time to make 2 more panels. Now off to fly Boldwela to the Mun.

vPaWv4v.png

Tito Kerman is a tourist I took along so I could recoup the costs of the mission. Hafoc is rather expensive. Unfortunately, it is rather more so than Tito's ticket to space.

KbnHmv0.png

That mission returned about 15 science in all. A Munlab and a Minmuslab are rather urgently needed.

So tune in next time for the establishment of a Munstation, in two parts! One which is a cupola, a lab and some fuel tanks, and another which is a load of life support.

Edited by fulgur

Thanks @SomeDudePlayingKsp for the compliment!

I am indeed going to speed up timewarping, and I am also building some new labs. The Pepper Station (Mun) lab section launched this morning on an awful SSTO, and I am preparing to build the Mint Station in orbit of Minmus. I have plans to build an extensive Minmus Shipyard using OSE Workshop and the BG parts. And of course there is the Expedition to Eki, which will gather Eki science, and there will be a Rendezvous with Rama Rald (which Duna orbits) which will launch in 150 days. Finally, I want to do some stuff with that pirate ship which launched a while ago.

Edited by fulgur

Here's what I've been attempting to improve over the past week.

89iwYhb.png

Essentially, you have to pump all the fuel forwards before entry or the plane flips out of control. Poor tourists, barfing in their airline seats without any leg room. It's soon to get worse for them, as I've installed Airline Kuisine (LS in Mk2 and Mk3 shapes).

s5jTwtT.png

Why oh why did I not include aerospikes on this? Because it would have made it too expensive. I had limited funds before and especially after this mission.

imnSD5o.png

Here is the Audax I. It's bold and daring in that it... um... is designed to carry cargo? Or something? Also it sounds nice. It's the first rocket I've launched in a while, what with rockets being awful to fly, unlike a well-designed SSTO. It is so that I don't have to fit the Boldwela series with NERVAs.

Tune in next time for Boldwela II, Audax's first mission and the completion of Pepper Station, with all the science and funds and rep I get from the contracts Build a Station in Mun Orbit, Start the Mun Space Station and Expand Pepper Station to have space for 7 kerbals.

Edited by fulgur

Finished Pepper Station. End of chapter. Now I'm going to do all that boring stuff, you know, commsats and an exact copy of Pepper Station being sent to Minmus.

DF1a6NY.png

UusHexK.png

Tune in next time for a Mun landing! With either Lyra I or Lyra II (undesigned)! Plus by that time I will have done all those annoying commnets and a Minmusstation and timewarped until I have ISRU. Or at least better wheels.

As in rover wheels. For collecting science.

AAAAAA KRAKEN DAMMIT TO EVE AND BACK

My computer is dead. I am attempting to fix it. I probably can retrieve the data. If not I may hyperedit everything into place. Or I may start over.

18 hours ago, fulgur said:

My computer is dead. I am attempting to fix it. I probably can retrieve the data. If not I may hyperedit everything into place. Or I may start over.

My condolences.  I raise a glass to its departed spirit.  May it be happy in the next world.

Good luck with the recovery!

On 9/15/2019 at 8:46 AM, fulgur said:

As in rover wheels. For collecting science.

AAAAAA KRAKEN DAMMIT TO EVE AND BACK

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

My condolences.  I raise a glass to its departed spirit.  May it be happy in the next world.

Good luck with the recovery!

Indeed. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.