• 0
The Doodling Astronaut

Getting the best launch profile for eve

Question

Posted (edited)

Update: I have built all the tech for the mission... But I do need help on launching from Eve and best launch profile

Oh and if you want to give me bonus help you can help me give details on making a Moho orbiter or Gilly lander

Edited by The Doodling Astronaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

A slightly slimmer alternative to that excellent craft is this, which can make Eve orbit with quite a bit of dV to spare...

xRFQEP9.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 minutes ago, Foxster said:

A slightly slimmer alternative to that excellent craft is this, which can make Eve orbit with quite a bit of dV to spare...

xRFQEP9.png

 

that is slim for sure.

 

but has no science, it's hard to get off it since EVE has heavy gravity. Do you have version with science, lab.jr. attached maybe?

 

did you land it with fuel? you refuelled?  how did it get through entering the atmosphere since is so tall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Siska said:

that is slim for sure.

 

but has no science, it's hard to get off it since EVE has heavy gravity. Do you have version with science, lab.jr. attached maybe?

 

did you land it with fuel? you refuelled?  how did it get through entering the atmosphere since is so tall?

It covers the hard bit - getting to orbit. Everything else is just detail.

Science can be coupled to the bottom and dropped before taking off, along with the landing struts, heatshield, airbrakes and chutes etc. 

Edited by Foxster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

@Reinhart Mk.1 thanks for the message at highest point on eve. So I need to mixture all the surface features are find-able at the site first...

How long would that take? I see most videos take over my 10 year standard

For inner planet slingshots, the time is actually very competitive since they rotate quite fast around kerbol.

To save even more fuel, one could in principle to a Moho-Moho-Moho chain like Bepi-Colombo, but that will take a lot of time.

It's not like a K-E-K-K-J path that takes years and years.

A quick run with pykep for a K-E-M transfer gives me :

First Leg: Kerbin to Eve
Departure: 2000-Jun-12 04:24:05.248212 (163.18339407653284 mjd2000)
Duration: 46.2038951782days
VINF: 1389.95658807m/sec
Ejection DV: 1221.1742609103262 m/sec from alt = 100.0 km
DSM after 2.09377957665 days
DSM magnitude: 5.9545247391534035m/s

leg no. 2: Eve to Moho
Duration: 60.8711404316days
Fly-by epoch: 2000-Jul-28 09:17:41.791613 (209.3872892547751 mjd2000)
Fly-by radius: 1.13111598429 planetary radii
DSM after 24.854655303 days
DSM magnitude: 228.54142544105298m/s

Arrival at Moho
Arrival epoch: 2000-Sep-27 06:12:08.324905 (270.2584296864024 mjd2000)
Arrival Vinf: 1336.712742230264m/s
Insertion DV: 1007.529855822877 m/sec from alt = 100.0 km
Total mission time: 0.293155470527 years

All times are in earth days, so multiply days by four. I still WiP, but hey, it already finds the transfer windows :) Total DV is already down a lot vs 5 km/s for a direct transfer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Well. With a direct transfer you will need 5k to go and 2k to return. 

So okay for an orbiter. Possibly okay for a landing if you have a light lander that rendez vous with the return vessel apollo style. (I.e. the lander alone needs 1.8k to land and go back)

Edited by Muetdhiver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Final planning:

Expedition Gilly spacecraft (like most of my missions) has three modules

Lander: Land on Eve --> do surface exploration --> get in LEO

Orbiter: Circulize at Eve --> rendezvous with lander --> head to gilly --> Go home

Cruise stage: Escape kerbin --> Drop orbiter in LEO--> Get landing location --> deorbit

Edited by The Doodling Astronaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

How would you build a rocket for an eve mission. The current rocket design is repetitively crashing :(. If you have some good way with a 5M fairing do tell!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

How would you build a rocket for an eve mission. The current rocket design is repetitively crashing :(. If you have some good way with a 5M fairing do tell!

Which bit of the mission are you crashing on - Kerbin to orbit or Eve to orbit or landing on Eve or...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 hours ago, Foxster said:

Which bit of the mission are you crashing on - Kerbin to orbit or Eve to orbit or landing on Eve or...?

I have built the lander, it works and the orbiter too it works but I have had troubles with getting it all to space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
51 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I have built the lander, it works and the orbiter too it works but I have had troubles with getting it all to space

Gonna need some pics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Gonna need some pics. 

Actually I got a rocket to work but will needs some more struts but thanks!

(edit is in strikethrough)

Edited by The Doodling Astronaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The final lander design coming at 7996 VAC

First stage is those 3 side boosters designed to get out of the thick parts

Second stage to continue the ascent through the atmosphere

And the third stage on top of the third stage

We'll see how it goes

eve-lander-test-next-to-conebomb.png?w=1015&h=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

The final lander design coming at 7996 VAC

First stage is those 3 side boosters designed to get out of the thick parts

Second stage to continue the ascent through the atmosphere

And the third stage on top of the third stage

We'll see how it goes

eve-lander-test-next-to-conebomb.png?w=1015&h=

I hate to say it but I think it might be a bit too... wide(?) for Eve's atmosphere. Though I really do love being proved wrong and this actually seems like a solid lander if you pilot it right though. I can see how it's staged and that does look good so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

^^ And IIRC the thuds produces no usable thrust on Eve and are heavy and extremely draggy. Also I suggest some leveling mechanism (easier with BG!) because you will land on some slopes.

screenshot94.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

I hate to say it but I think it might be a bit too... wide(?) for Eve's atmosphere. Though I really do love being proved wrong and this actually seems like a solid lander if you pilot it right though. I can see how it's staged and that does look good so far

It's less wide then some other landers I have seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.