I just bought KSP because it looked interesting, haven't played it yet because the game gets stuck at a black screen with the KSP cursor and a single yellow line. I have searched all around and haven't found any solution yet, hoping to find one here. 

Screen: https://imgur.com/pDUnu7X
Specs: https://imgur.com/a/cYwKKmRhttps://imgur.com/a/vuvdpxE

Welcome to the forum :)

Where did you buy the game? Steam, GoG, KSP website? If you bought it from the website, in which directory did you install it?
Also, how did you launch the game? If you tried to use the KSP launcher, it is broken since an eternity and you should try to run the "KSP_x64.exe" directly :)

4 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Welcome to the forum :)

Where did you buy the game? Steam, GoG, KSP website? If you bought it from the website, in which directory did you install it?
Also, how did you launch the game? If you tried to use the KSP launcher, it is broken since an eternity and you should try to run the "KSP_x64.exe" directly :)

I bought it off of steam and it installed into my SSD steam folder. I tried running the KSP_x64.exe as both an admin and a regular user but no luck.

8 minutes ago, AgressiveCamo said:

I bought it off of steam and it installed into my SSD steam folder. I tried running the KSP_x64.exe as both an admin and a regular user but no luck.

Hm...ok, maybe the log file will help us here.

Open this directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\

(you can copy&paste the path into the adressbar of the windows explorer)
grab the "output_log.txt" file, upload it to a filehoster or cloud service like dropbox, one drive, google drive, whatever and share a download link for us.

19 hours ago, AgressiveCamo said:

game gets stuck at a black screen with the KSP cursor and a single yellow line

Define stuck?    My game can take upwards of 20 minutes to load with a full set of mods, a vanilla stock game far less, but the game is notorious for long load times.  If you've only waited 30 secs to a minute, you haven't waited long enough.  Give it a good ten minutes one time and see if the loading screens pop up.   If not, then we're really going to need those log files. 

5 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Hm...ok, maybe the log file will help us here.

Open this directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\

(you can copy&paste the path into the adressbar of the windows explorer)
grab the "output_log.txt" file, upload it to a filehoster or cloud service like dropbox, one drive, google drive, whatever and share a download link for us.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4in0v0no1qazd5/output_log.txt?dl=0

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Define stuck?    My game can take upwards of 20 minutes to load with a full set of mods, a vanilla stock game far less, but the game is notorious for long load times.  If you've only waited 30 secs to a minute, you haven't waited long enough.  Give it a good ten minutes one time and see if the loading screens pop up.   If not, then we're really going to need those log files. 

Stuck, as in nothing will happen, brand new game, no mods. tried loading for up to 30 minutes.

(edit): It does respond, shows the steam FPS counter in the top left.

Edited by AgressiveCamo

3 hours ago, AgressiveCamo said:

That's odd because it actually is an access authority issue, like I already thought, but I've never seen it happen in a steam directory :confused:

From your log:

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\settings.cfg" is denied.

So two things you can do:

1. Move the KSP directory somewhere else (for example: "C:\KSP" or maybe even try "Z:\KSP") and create a desktop short cut to the new location or add it as a non steam game back to steam, if you prefer to launch it through the steam launcher. KSP doesn't use any kind of DRM, so multiple copies in any directory are fine ;)
  2. You can try to change the ownership of the KSP directory. There are plenty of tutorials out there, like this one: https://windowsreport.com/take-ownership-windows-10/

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

That's odd because it actually is an access authority issue, like I already thought, but I've never seen it happen in a steam directory :confused:

From your log:

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\settings.cfg" is denied.

So two things you can do:

1. Move the KSP directory somewhere else (for example: "C:\KSP" or maybe even try "Z:\KSP") and create a desktop short cut to the new location or add it as a non steam game back to steam, if you prefer to launch it through the steam launcher. KSP doesn't use any kind of DRM, so multiple copies in any directory are fine ;)
  2. You can try to change the ownership of the KSP directory. There are plenty of tutorials out there, like this one: https://windowsreport.com/take-ownership-windows-10/

Looks like this worked! Thank you. I moved the directory to Z:\KSP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.