One Critical thing that must be changed in KSP 2

Tweeker

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

Yeah but the Kickback is so underpowered that there's very little reason to use it. That's not good balance, that's a waste of computer resources. It should be either fixed or removed.

I use the Kickback in mid-career quite frequently. If my lifter is just a hair short of launch TWR it's super easy to slap a couple of them on to push it over the hump. More convenient than assembling LF boosters.

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

Conversely, the Wolfhound was so overpowered when it debuted (and remains a bit OP even after the nerf) that many challenges on this forum and elsewhere banned its use. Again, that's not good balance. In this case, barring any externally imposed rules, it makes a bunch of other engines an inferior choice.

Yeah can't argue about the Wolfhound. I'm not super happy about the Making History parts in general, they're largely redundant and/or OP and/or subassemblies rather than parts.

Edited by Guest

On 9/3/2019 at 6:58 AM, Tweeker said:

Some parts are about where they should be, I think 18-20% of real world thrust works well.  

I'd say on average engines need to be around the 30% mark of real world engines in the same niche. That's where they've generally been falling while I've been working on engine configs for real fuels for 10x rescales. Though that includes a 1.6x rescale in most instances.

The Twin Boar, for example needs to be about + 50% thrust to put it inline with the proposed Pyrios booster, (2X F-1s) or double the Mainsail/Mammoth.

I don't know. I think the twin boar is more reminiscent, both in size and niche to the atlas v common core, rather than the pyrios booster. If that were the case it's thrust is about 48% of the atlas V which makes it slightly overpowered. 

Others like the Wolfhound, are extremely OP,   It has 4X the thrust of the real-world version,  (375.00 KN in KSP vs 97KN Real-world). 

Which is probably a design choice made so that orbital burns aren't slow, long and boring. That's a choice made throughout the KSP orbital engines. That doesn't mean they're unbalanced, just that the game designers made different game balance choices to strict real world comparisons.

So you have one engine, the Kickback that is 5.5% of real world thrust, 

and another, the Wolfhound that is 384% of real world thrust. 

The kickback and wolfhound are balanced within their categories rather than with their real world counterparts. In KSP orbital engines are more powerful so orbital burns don't take as long, while launcher engines are less powerful because rockets are significantly smaller and lighter than real world counterparts. The balancing logic is different for the two categories so they're not directly comparable.

I mean the IX-6315 "Dawn" has in the region of a thousand times more thrust than the most powerful experimental ion drives ever tested. The point is if you balanced orbital engines to the same level as launcher engines then you'd either have stupidly overpowered launchers or boringly weak orbitals. That might be great for those of us who are realism junkies; but not so much for casual or I think the majority of KSP players.

I'd also note that, while the wolfhound is (and in fact most parts are) about 60% the size of real-life counterparts, the kickback is around 30% of the size of its real-life counterpart. Which means 5.5% thrust is roughly correct compared to similar engines and it's greater scale reduction.

In fact all the SLS themed parts are much smaller than the standard KSP scale. It's something worth remembering when comparing their performance to other parts and their real-life counterparts.

Edited by Citizen247

4 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

I'd also note that, while the wolfhound is (and in fact most parts are) about 60% the size of real-life counterparts, the kickback is around 30% of the size of its real-life counterpart. Which means 5.5% thrust is roughly correct compared to similar engines and it's greater scale reduction.

In fact all the SLS themed parts are much smaller than the standard KSP scale. It's something worth remembering when comparing their performance to other parts and their real-life counterparts.

Which is why I find a Kickback set to 200% size with Tweakscale is much more useful for my purposes.