[Artwork] Kerbin, the blue and green jewel | Wallpaper

Momo3773

Hello!

I have made a little render of a 3D project I have for Kerbin.

Please note that this is still work in progress project, and there is still a lot of work to do.

Surface : Kerbin map from KSP official wiki.

Clouds : Earth cloud map from NASA.

Stars : Paul Bourke (http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/starfield/).

KSP Logo : KSP official wiki.

Made using 3DS Max Studio and Inkscape.

8yPw3.jpg

I will add more resolutions if you ask for it.

I need critics about it! It has to be perfect! Our little green guys deserve it!

Thanks,

Fly safe!

Edited by Momo3773
Added programs used.

@Radion : Thread updated.

@Hitperson : It is possible, but I have to correct some stuff first.

@ AncientAstronaut : I agree about stars and dark side. Actualy, I want to add some city lights and the Mün. However, I cannot add Minmus or Duna because they are too far away or small and would appear as tiny lit points, like stars.

I think i will remove the logo, unless I can find a better one. Anyone know if there is a SVG one somewhere?

Thanks!

Edited by Momo3773

3DS Max? Alright then. I'm not sure exactly how it works, since I'm more of a Blender person, so I'll just throw some things out there that can hopefully be done with Max.

1) I'd suggest heavily cutting down or outright removing the stars, as they are unlikely to be seen in an image like that

2) I would also suggest adding a sort of atmospheric haze near the edges of Kerbin, in a bluish-white, or even just blue. This can usually be accomplished with a duplicate sphere scaled slightly larger than the cloud sphere (if that's what your using), then applying z transparency, with a fresnel of about 1.5 to achieve what should be good results. You can tweak the fresnel to whatever you want, though.

3). You really ought to create two textures, one for Kerbin in the daytime and one at night. I don't know how texture blending is accomplished in 3DS, but the night texture should be darkened, probably with purple hues, with the city lights applied to it in bright yellow (and the yellow should dissipate the further it is from the center of the city), not white.

4) You should remove the axial tilt of Kerbin, as in the game it does not have this. In addition, moving the source light down to head-on would increase the similarity to the game. Of course, this is just if you want it to resemble the game. If not, you can keep it as is.

5) The area of Kerbin after the terminator is going to have to be quote a bit darker. Not only does it make Kerbin look nice, but it also adds a layer of realism to the render.

3DS Max? Alright then. I'm not sure exactly how it works, since I'm more of a Blender person, so I'll just throw some things out there that can hopefully be done with Max.

1) I'd suggest heavily cutting down or outright removing the stars, as they are unlikely to be seen in an image like that

2) I would also suggest adding a sort of atmospheric haze near the edges of Kerbin, in a bluish-white, or even just blue. This can usually be accomplished with a duplicate sphere scaled slightly larger than the cloud sphere (if that's what your using), then applying z transparency, with a fresnel of about 1.5 to achieve what should be good results. You can tweak the fresnel to whatever you want, though.

3). You really ought to create two textures, one for Kerbin in the daytime and one at night. I don't know how texture blending is accomplished in 3DS, but the night texture should be darkened, probably with purple hues, with the city lights applied to it in bright yellow (and the yellow should dissipate the further it is from the center of the city), not white.

4) You should remove the axial tilt of Kerbin, as in the game it does not have this. In addition, moving the source light down to head-on would increase the similarity to the game. Of course, this is just if you want it to resemble the game. If not, you can keep it as is.

5) The area of Kerbin after the terminator is going to have to be quote a bit darker. Not only does it make Kerbin look nice, but it also adds a layer of realism to the render.

Thanks for you reply!

I have Blender, but I don't realy know this software. I don't think Blender is the best software to create such a realistic render. Much better to use 3DS Max or Cinema4D for render, and Blender for models and animations.

1) I agree. Actualy, this stars texture was designed for a sphere. I will try to make them less britter and smaller.

2) There is already an atmosphere, but it does not render realy well. I need to make it bigger and brighter. I tried to use a volumetric fog, but it was a complete fail :(

3) Yeah, I did that once for an Earth render on Cinema4D. I used a night Earth map, I know how it looks like. I just need time to create a night version of the Kerbin map. Oh, by the way, do you know if there is a 4k or 8k version of it? The bigger one I could find was a 2k and it could be sooooo much better with a bigger one.

4) I like the tilt, even if it is not realistic for Kerbin, it is for science. Very few planets have 0° tilt.

5) I agree.

The big KSP and ''Kerbin by Momo3773 will be remplaced by a smaller dark writting at the bottom of the picture. I think it will be less flashy.

Still a work in progress. I will update it as soon as possible!

Actually, Blender is quite capable of creating realistic renders, it just takes an experienced Blender user to do it, just as it would take someone fluent in 3DS Max to make a realistic render there.

2) Yes. A planet with not atmospheric hazing just doesn't look right, so it would be a great improvement to make it come out more in the render

3) I wouldn't use the Earth lightmap, as that can lead to a few awkward moments. For instance, you can have Kerbin at rotation that makes it clearly look like the majority of what your seeing is ocean, yet nearly the entire night side is populated by ocean cities somehow. It'd be better if you just created your own map, as it lets you be specific in where the lights are placed.

4) I agree with you on the tilt, it looks nicer, but there are some who will say it is unrealistic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.