A (Re-)Introduction - and some questions about mods

Oatypea

Hi All!

I'm not sure if this really qualifies for this sub-forum, but considering my last attempts at posting here were (I think) around three years ago, and consisted of one actual content post, I feel like this is the right place for this.

Historically, I have sunk a pretty significant number of hours  into KSP, getting as far as Duna (although other than one ill-fated mission I've largely kept to Kerbin's SoI). A few years ago, I drifted away from the game, and haven't really played since 2017. With current events, however, I've found myself with a fair few spare hours on my hands, so I've decided to come back to the game and see what I can do. I'm hoping to start a mission report for my main career save, which I'll put a link up to as soon as I've started it. With that in mind, I'm hoping to make a first dive into the world of mods (in KSP at least...), so I've decided to throw a few questions out and see if anyone's got any advice: 

- I'm planning to install KAS/KIS, but really don't have a clue as to the basic mechanics of them. Does anyone know of a suitable tutorial that they might be able to link, or whether there's anything I should particularly know?
- I'm also looking at USI Life Support, but I'm unsure as to how it handles modules from other mods, specifically stockalike station parts redux. Has anyone tried these together, and do you know if there are any major incompatabilities? Additionally, do you know if the career contracts, fees and payouts adjust for this extra complexity? Generally, budgeting is never a problem but it'd be neat if they adjusted automatically. 
- As mentioned above, I'm looking at the stockalike station parts mod, but I'm also looking for any extra mods to ass more parts - I'm a big fan of the stock aesthetics, and was wondering whether anyone would reccommend any other mods? Mostly looking at modules/engines, but really any new parts would be nice! Some more science and surface stuff would be good, generally I'm just not finding much point in building big stations (but I really want to) because beyond the essentials there's not a great deal to do. 

I've spent many happy hours looking through this forum in the past, so I'm excited to give something back to it! 

Hello @Oatypea  congrats on your (Re-)introduction to the best game ever!  Since you are returning - is it safe to assume that you are running a somewhat early version of the game - or have you re-puchased one of the latest versions?

If you are running a version from some prior 'flitation' with KSP I can recommend a few...   I started out in career mode with relatively few mods.  I think I started out with Corvus (Gemini corollary) to fill the gap between the stock Mercury corollary and Apollo corollary command pods.  I am also a big fan of the stock aesthetics, and I can recommend that one for early game.  As I developed I added mods here and there...  To help out with some early contracts, I added 'Grounded Modular Vehicles'.  I'm running V 1.4.5 (which should tell you about when I started), I added such things as 'World Stabilizer' to keep away the devastating seismic anomalies that wreck my first exo-Kerbin base attempts.  Shortly thereafter I grabbed 'Surface Mounted Lights', 'Station Parts Expansion Redux' and 'Docking Port Alignment Indicator'  which were all a big help in establishing early space stations and moon/planetary bases.

As I expanded out into the Kerbol-system, I picked up 'Atomic Age', 'Near Future Construction', 'Near Future Propulsion' 'Near Future Solar' and 'Quantum Struts'.  

I'm sure there are plenty of other opinions / Mods out there - but; a) these preserved the stock aesthetics b)I like building my own 'stuff' which these allowed me to do (no fully furnished vehicles from movies, TV, other games) -and- c) They made the game way more fun/interesting/playable mid and late game.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 12:10 AM, Puhuruhuru said:

-Snipped for brevity-

Hi,  it's a long story but I am running the most recent version of KSP (although without the DLCs at present, I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are, if any, on these, since I gather you're running a version from before these were released?). 

I've gone ahead and picked up a few, although not all, of the Near Future Tech mods, and I think I'll probably throw the rest in pretty soon to finish the set. Alongside this I've installed the stockalike station parts mod, and TAC-LS - that's been quite the learning curve, although I haven't lost anyone quite yet! I was wondering if you've got any experience with the full TAC modlist, as I really like the look of some of the parts of it but at the minute it looks a bit overwhelming? I'm just getting used to the new mechanics of life support and I'm cautious to pile a load more on top. 

Thanks all for your help so far!