Issues Changing Biomes with Module Manager and Kopernicus

Superfluous J

Actually the title here should be "Issues NOT Changing Biomes with Module Manager and Kopernicus" but anyway.

I'm trying - unsuccessfully - to remove all biomes from the game and set up all worlds to have a single biome named "Surface." I've created a a biome map named 1biome.png and it's just a black rectangle.

What I want is a generic config that modifies every planet, not 15 different lines one for each planet, with add-on packs for JNSQ, RSS, or whatever. I'd like to just throw this mod into Gamedata and have it work.

So I created a modulemanager config to modify Kopernicus. Below is the current iteration of it though I've taken about 20 stabs at it.

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body[*]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			@biomeMap=1biome/1biome.png
			@Biomes
			{
				-Biome[*] {}
			}
			-Biomes
			+Biomes
			{
				+Biome
				{
					+name = Surface
					+displayName = #autoLOC_900621 // Surface
					+value = 1
					+color = 0,0,0,1
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

Included in my stabs are not having those "+" symbols, not having the @Biomes block with -Biome[*] in it, not having -Biomes, changing the * in @Body to Kerbin just to test. Sometimes the changes I make get an error that Sun can't exist without a biome or something like that, but whenver the game loads wihtout error, all the biomes on Kerbin are still there.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or (even better) how I can tell what is happening when KSP loads so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong myself?

I'd need to rummage through a Kopernicus config for complete syntax but some things I can spot that seem off.

+ is copy but you appear to be using it to add entries. To create an entry you don't need a symbol or you can use % as a fail safe to create or edit.

Something else that sticks out but might be correct, typically, sub modules and nodes will be in caps. So things like @Body might want to be @BODY. Same for Biomes.

Might be wrong on this also but while @PART[*] is the usual syntax for targeting all parts, for nodes I think you want @NODEname,*

Edit: Hmm, ok, referencing the Kopernicus GitHub and JNSQ pages...

{
	@Body,*
	{
		@Properties
		{
			%biomeMap=1biome/1biome.png
			!Biomes,*{}
			Biomes
			{
				Biome
				{
					name = Surface
					displayName = #autoLOC_900621 // Surface
					value = 1
					color = 0,0,0,1
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

Try that. Dunno if it will work and if it does, there's probably a more elegant way.

Edited by Manwith Noname

3 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

+ is copy but you appear to be using it to add entries. To create an entry you don't need a symbol or you can use % as a fail safe to create or edit.

Oops that was a brain fart, though I'd farted that particular brain after trying it without a symbol with no luck.

Something else that sticks out but might be correct, typically, sub modules and nodes will be in caps. So things like @Body might want to be @BODY. Same for Biomes.

That doesn't seem necessary. I cased them that way as it's what was in the other configs.

Might be wrong on this also but while @PART[*] is the usual syntax for targeting all parts, for nodes I think you want @NODEname,*

I'd never used that syntax before I think I understand what it does :)

Try that. Dunno if it will work and if it does, there's probably a more elegant way.

It worked! Thanks. I super appreciate it!

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

It worked!

Aw man. it worked for JNSQ, but not for the stock game. I'm guessing because the stock game and Kopernicus are not defining the planets the same, and I'm assuming I can't modify the stock planets with modulemanager unless I do something crazy like remove them all and re-add them with Kopernicus.

Interesting. Looking at the Kopernicus wiki, it seems for stock you might need to make a different config using a template node.

https://kopernicus.github.io/wiki/main/Template.html

I missed that the supplied Kopernicus configs already use this.

Edit: So I think it would be something like...

{
	@Body,*
	{
		@Template
		{
			removeBiomes = true
		}
		@Properties
		{
			%biomeMap=1biome/1biome.png
			Biomes
			{
				Biome
				{
					name = Surface
					displayName = #autoLOC_900621 // Surface
					value = 1
					color = 0,0,0,1
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

This might break the Sun as you previously mentioned. Then you might need to come up with a way of ignoring the sun body with a :HAS[!name = sun] or something. Would need to look up the proper MM syntax.

Another Edit: After reading the MM wiki, I think changing the @Body line with...

@Body:HAS[~name[Sun]]

...might work.

Edited by Manwith Noname

So I think it would be something like...

Again it worked perfectly! Didn't even need to do the sun stuff. I think that error was because the sun was the first thing it checked, and I had successfully removed all biomes somehow but didn't successfully add any.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.