Best Up to date Planet packs

I believe many, if not all of the planet packs are Kopernicus dependant. So planet pack developers have to wait for Kopernicus to update when a new KSP release comes out.

That said, I am running KSP 1.8 and love Outer Planets Mod (OPM) and Minor Planets Expansion.  The two together finish out the Kerbol system with a full family of gas giants and several dwarf planets, asteroids and at least one comet to visit.

I like these because they provide many more worlds to explore and are not too memory excessive.

Enjoy the journey.

MM

OPM is quite good and AFAIK is still kept up regularly, although I haven't used it in a few versions.

For a bigger challenge, JNSQ is a 2.7x scale Kerbin system with a few extra planets (similar to OPM) to finish the system.  Beautifully done, with a whole new set of challenges - still doable with stock parts, but really makes you work for it.

Those are the only two I've had any experience with and like all of them, they are  currently waiting for Kopernicus to update.

Pretty much all planet packs need Kopernicus, which isn’t compatible with KSP 1.9.x yet, so for planet packs you’ll need to use 1.8.1 or earlier.

There are a few I know of, but not all are 1.8.1 compatible.

GPP- replaces the stock solar system. Works in 1.8.1 I think but I haven’t used it myself.

XPC Revived- adds some moons to stock bodies, plays nice with OPM (Eeloo moons go to Plock instead), possibly not being maintained so may not be 1.8.1 compatible but works in 1.7.3.

Dwarf planets plus- a bit like minor planets, adds various small bodies and an ice giant far from the sun. Compatible with OPM, but possibly not maintained or 1.8.1 compatiblr, works in 1.7.3.

JNSQ- rescaled and redesigned stock system, much harder than the stock system due to the greater sizes and distances involved but still feasible with stock parts and many mods. 1.8.1 compatible, has its own special visuals mod called Ad Astra but that only works in 1.7.3. Nearly 2GB mod and has a noticeable performance impact, but worth it if you want the greater challenge of a bigger system.

Grannus expansion- a second solar system around the star Grannus. Can be made the primary solar system and has a rescaled version for JNSQ too. 1.8.1 compatible, it worked when I tried it once but haven’t looked at it too closely yet.

Beyond home- new solar system as the Primary with what’s left of the stock Kerbol system, I think the idea is that Kerbol ran out and either exploded or went red giant and affected the stock planets drastically. Not tried it myself but pretty sure it’s 1.8.1 compatible and have seen some videos of it which look very good.

Alternis Kerbol- moves stock planets around a lot, Kerbin becomes a moon of Jool! 1.8.1 compatible I think, haven’t used it myself though.

Sigma Rescale- just makes the stock planets bigger, 1.8.1 compatible and you can pick from 2.5x to over 10x scale, though considerable parts or realism/fuel mods will be required for larger than 3.2x scale. Might also work with some other planet packs but not with JNSQ as far as I know.

Real solar system- exactly what is says on the title. I’m not sure that it’s 1.8.1 compatible and you WILL need more mods for better fuels and rocket parts for it, many realism mods available. It’s a lot harder than stock so don’t make that jump without trying a smaller rescale first to get used to the differences.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.