Kerbal Space Program 3D animations [New release October 31st]

AnimatedK

Release October 2021:

Release July 2021:

Update June 2021:

Update April 2021:

Well, here it is...

The lack of KSP fan art animations was bothering me.
I am a long time fan of KSP with hundreds of hours well spended in the game.
I'm convinced we can bring to the community some good kerbal stories and get a good laugh on the go.
A new, longer and better animation is in early steps of production, but animations are no easy feat; every supporter joining this endeavour means more time I can spend doing this kind of things.
Disregarding money, I really wanted to share this with you guys anyways, so here it is.
I really hope you like this and, as always, I'm open to questions & recommendations.

https://ko-fi.com/animatedk

Edited by AnimatedK
NEW RELEASE!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

I’m not disappointed. That was cute. ^_^ I expect you to be a welcome addition to the forums.

just so you know

i am expecting a sequel :sticktongue:

A longer animation is on the way.

An update is coming up this weekend and I will post them on my YouTube Channel on a weekly basis.

ii9bR9b.png

I'm very glad you like the first one.

Stay tuned.

Edited by AnimatedK

3 hours ago, AnimatedK said:

A longer animation is on the way.

An update is coming up this weekend and I will post them on my YouTube Channel on a weekly basis.

ii9bR9b.png

I'm very glad you like the first one.

Stay tuned.

:) *subscribes immediately *

On 6/4/2020 at 9:15 PM, HansonKerman said:

:) *subscribes immediately *

Hello dear friends! This is the very first update of the AnimatedK channel. I'm working in a new, better and longer animation of KSP. Please, if you feel like it, consider subscribing and sharing this video with your fellow KSP fans. That would really help me.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, since the models are made in blender I bet they could be put into ksp. It would be really awesome of you let someone who knows how to make part mods have them because (in my opinion) you poodle and rcs block textures are a lot better than the restock ones. Also, I recommend you make the bells on the poodle smaller since it looks like your version of Duna has an atmosphere were they will have terrible thrust and isp (atmosphere is too thick.) Making the bells smaller would be more scientifically accurate. However, you may want to keep all the parts authentic or I'm to naive to understand how hard this would be.

Edited by catloaf

21 hours ago, catloaf said:

Actually,some the models are made in blender I bet they could be put into ksp. It would be really awesome of you let someone who knows how to make part mods have them because (in my opinion) you poodle and eve block textures are a lot better than the restock ones. Also, I recommend you make the bells on the poodle smaller since it looks like your version of Duna has an atmosphere were they will have terrible thrust and isp (atmosphere is too thick.) Making the bells smaller would be more scientifically accurate. However, you may want to keep all the parts authentic or I'm to naive to understand how hard this would be.

First of all, I want to thank you very much for commenting and sharing your opinion on the project.

I'm trying to use as many KSP parts as I can, with the minimum modification. But I want to make that extra step into realism, and for that I need to make some changes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talking about the part mods, these Blender models I'm working with are very high poly for a game engine to handle. Of course we could cheat the system with baked textures but we must realise that details sell the product. All those pipes, lights, pistons and balls I added is what it really makes the engine look nice. That added geometry goes in decrement of the game performance... a game in which performance is not its greatest achievements. So unless the modder invents some kind of modding magickery, it's not gonna be possible for the parts I made to be ported into the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the engine bells, I have reasons to leave them as they are. Although what you say about the Poodlouemvl4qtgn31.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=4b34f4bdac68fd7f21d1cd08fe7d78953ac637a3e not being suitable for atmospheric operation is true, we must recall that Duna's atmosphere is very thin and has 1/15th the pressure of Kerbin's atmosphere, practically vacuum. That combined with the reduced gravity of Duna, makes the poodle engine a considerable option.  I've been using this model in the game for a while now and it works like a charm. Could it be more efficient? yes, sure... but what the hell... it gets the job done. I can get from the surface of Duna to Kerbin with it. Picture on the right.

I'm also leaving the poodle engine as it is for storytelling reasons. The mission commander will interact with the engine bells and the size adds to the story.

I hope we can further discuss about stuff, I really enjoy community involvement. Don't forget to send me a flag design if you want, or the kerbal names.

Edited by AnimatedK

22 minutes ago, AnimatedK said:

About the engine bells, I have reasons to leave them as they are. Although what you say about the Poodl

ouemvl4qtgn31.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=4b34f4bdac68fd7f21d1cd08fe7d78953ac637a3e not being suitable for atmospheric operation is true, we must recall that Duna's atmosphere is very thin and has 1/15th the pressure of Kerbin's atmosphere, practically vacuum. That combined with the reduced gravity of Duna, makes the poodle engine a considerable option.  I've been using this model in the game for a while now and it works like a charm. Could it be more efficient? yes, sure... but what the hell... it gets the job done. I can get from the surface of Duna to Kerbin with it. Picture on the right.

I'm also leaving the poodle engine as it is for storytelling reasons. The mission commander will interact with the engine bells and the size adds to the story.

I hope we can further discuss about stuff, I really enjoy community involvement. Don't forget to send me a flag design if you want, or the kerbal names.

What you said about the poodle is true In stock ksp. However, it looks like you version of Duna has a much thicker atmosphere:

QzEaNlq.jpg

So while the poodle would be better than it is in Kerbin it would still have pretty bad isp. Also I don't know the nature of the story that involves the bell but if it is a Danny2462 style mass driver remember that engine bell size does not really say much about power e.g. Vector vs Wolfhound.

Edited by catloaf

• 2 weeks later...

This is really cool. I wonder if there's any chance for collaberation? As Matt Lowne loves his homebrew stories in the KSP universe. This would be a natural fit for him to contribute to.

Loving the work so far, will keep an eye on your channel for updates!

39 minutes ago, TheoBrandt said:

This is really cool. I wonder if there's any chance for collaberation? As Matt Lowne loves his homebrew stories in the KSP universe. This would be a natural fit for him to contribute to.

Loving the work so far, will keep an eye on your channel for updates!

Thanks for the comment!

At this moment, you can collaborate by naming the two kerbals I introduced in the 2nd update. You can also design a mission flag or insignia!

As for getting Matt Lowne to join this endeavour... I think this project is still young and needs to grow up a little. So, if you want to help, make sure to share this thread or my youtube channel with your friends.

See you around.

On 7/17/2020 at 6:11 PM, AnimatedK said:

Thanks for the comment!

At this moment, you can collaborate by naming the two kerbals I introduced in the 2nd update. You can also design a mission flag or insignia!

As for getting Matt Lowne to join this endeavour... I think this project is still young and needs to grow up a little. So, if you want to help, make sure to share this thread or my youtube channel with your friends.

See you around.

HMMMMM @Matt Lowne technically HAS a forum account... not sure how often he uses it...

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 12:04 AM, catloaf said:

Any progress?

Yes!

• I've been generating props & assets to populate the scenes, material designs, texture paintjobs and more.
  • The kerbal rig was completely redone. Wasn't happy witht he old rig performance, so I changed it before it was to late. Remember that once I start to animate, I will have to freeze the rig and stick with it until the scene is done.
    • Created IK-FK switch
    • Added driver switch for helmet spotlights and inner face lighting
    • For the mouth I switched to shape key rigging. (previous rig was an armature)
  • Kerbal skin material was updated and retextured. (as requested by catloaf)
  • Rover model was completely rigged for animation.
  • Duna terrain material and texture

Video-updates have been delayed due to other animation jobs I was working on. Today I managed to finish a job, so I can start to work on this project.

1 hour ago, AnimatedK said:

Yes!

• I've been generating props & assets to populate the scenes, material designs, texture paintjobs and more.
  • The kerbal rig was completely redone. Wasn't happy witht he old rig performance, so I changed it before it was to late. Remember that once I start to animate, I will have to freeze the rig and stick with it until the scene is done.
    • Created IK-FK switch
    • Added driver switch for helmet spotlights and inner face lighting
    • For the mouth I switched to shape key rigging. (previous rig was an armature)
  • Kerbal skin material was updated and retextured. (as requested by catloaf)
  • Rover model was completely rigged for animation.
  • Duna terrain material and texture

Video-updates have been delayed due to other animation jobs I was working on. Today I managed to finish a job, so I can start to work on this project.

So this is the third mouth rig! Any images. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.