I'm trying to intercept Moho for a mission. Basically to create a new outpost. So far so good.
I used the transfer calculator to get the time for the transfer and left Kerbin 10 days prior to the best window. I thought that I would need to use more dV than usual.

When I tried to do the burn to get on the same inclination as Moho, I found that it was going to be on the other side of the orbit (see the image)

Is there any way to fix the transfer?

R1kiitr.png

Thanks

You left ten days early? That's an age when trying to intercept Moho.

If you have tons of delta-v you can get into a phasing orbit (match part of your orbit with Mojo's, then put a manoeuvre node at that point and adjust your orbital period until you meet Moho at that point in some future orbit). I've done this but not very well - my last visit to Moho involved shooting past at 4.3km/s when I only had 3km/s left in the tank.

I've heard getting an Eve assist is a good way of saving delta-v.

13 hours ago, radicaled said:

Is there any way to fix the transfer?

Treat it like an rendezvous: the first time you get to your DN with Moho, do a burn to lower your solar AP so that you will encounter Moho on the next round, or the round after that. Try to also fix a good deal of your inclination while you're at it.

Looking at it more closely, it may be better to do that burn a little after you crossed the DN, plus a small correction on your next AP around the sun to nail it perfectly.

This will be more expensive, dV-wise, than a straight capture burn at Moho, but not much more expensive. Moho is quite small and you don't get all that much help from it's gravity anyway.

Ok, so basically this time I should consider the rendezvous with Moho like a mission to intercept something in Kerbin's orbit.
I need to consider Kerbol as Kerbin and the debris I need to intercept is Moho.

I guess the interception time will be longer.

That is what I get for doing multiple missions at the same time :S

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.