Random overheating

I'm having a devil of a time with anything that generates heat. Usually things are fine, but I get weird behavior. Time-warping often makes things overheat and explode, even when they are more than adequately cooled. I get how that can happen, mumble something floating point rounding mumble. 

But the weirder thing is that sometimes it'll happen when I switch to a craft that I haven't controlled for a little bit. Like just now I took control of a craft on the Mun that has an MPU making liquid fuel. It has more than enough radiators, and hasn't been focused for some time. Immediately on load, the MSRU's temperature was over 200,000K. Yes, that is the right number of zeros. 

This sort of thing happens to me a lot.

The only mods that I have installed that (as far as I know) even have anything to do with heat are MKS (which has some heat generating parts) and Heat Control, which adds new heat radiators.

Is this just a case of "yeah, that'll happen" or is there some measure I can take to help with it?

1 hour ago, Tokamak said:

Is this just a case of "yeah, that'll happen"

I'm pretty sure it's just because you're playing Kerbal Jank Program.
With a stock install the thermal system is (now, finally) mostly stable, most of the time... But as soon as you add anything that stresses it, the cracks reappear.

A solution is coming. All hail Nertea.

9 hours ago, steve_v said:

I'm pretty sure it's just because you're playing Kerbal Jank Program.
With a stock install the thermal system is (now, finally) mostly stable, most of the time... But as soon as you add anything that stresses it, the cracks reappear.

A solution is coming. All hail Nertea.

I figured that might be the case, but oh well, it was worth asking. I love Kerbal, but most of the physics (kinematics and otherwise) is... let's say not as polished as it could be. :)

On 8/24/2020 at 2:23 AM, Tokamak said:

Is this just a case of "yeah, that'll happen" or is there some measure I can take to help with it?

One workaround is to use the alt-f12 cheat menu to ignore overheating when switching to a vessel that has overheating glitches. It's often the only way I can do a low solar mission.

When vessels are near the sun, coming out of timewarp can trigger crazy heat spikes. Everything cools down in normal time, then I go back to alt-f12 and enable heat again.

37 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

When vessels are near the sun, coming out of timewarp can trigger crazy heat spikes.

Pretty much anything that has a high heat-flux will get nonsense numbers on physics load sooner or later. KA/NF reactors are a prime culprit, but enough stock heat sources or, as you say just being close to the sun will do it too.

Kerbal. Jank. Program.
I guess one low-mass part not making your entire craft explode randomly any more is progress though, or as much progress as we can expect in this never-fix-anything-properly game. Kinda telling that you still have to use the debug menu regularly after 9 years of development...

3 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

One workaround is to use the alt-f12 cheat menu to ignore overheating when switching to a vessel that has overheating glitches. It's often the only way I can do a low solar mission.

Yeah, that's basically what I've been doing. Thank goodness for the cheat menu. :)

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Kerbal. Jank. Program.
I guess one low-mass part not making your entire craft explode randomly any more is progress though, or as much progress as we can expect in this never-fix-anything-properly game. Kinda telling that you still have to use the debug menu regularly after 9 years of development...

And yet here we are, still playing it anyway, because it's fun enough to justify dealing with the jank. :)

I am looking forward to KSP 2 though, which hopefully will have better physics. Though what with the shenanigans from the new owners, I have mixed feelings about buying it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.